Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Stereo

Smah

Hello everybody,

I am having difficulty understanding the wiring and plugs of my Yaris 99 reg that came with factory fitted cassette player.What i am trying to do is fit a mp3 player with USB and SD card option.But the problem is i dont understand which wire to put where as the car already have too many plugs and wiring but my new one only have few.Any help will be much appreciated.

Any queries please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Sultan - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

• Like 1

Hello Sultan - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Thanks.Much appreciated.Can you please help with my issue?

Topic moved to the Yaris club - to hopefully generate responses

Take a look at the link below, Toyota use there own set up of audio connections ( as do most manufacturers ) you will need and adaptor lead which converts the Toyota plugs into standard ISO plugs if you have steering wheel controls for the radio you will also need another adaptor to allow remote control of your need audio unit: http://www.connects2.co.uk/VehicleProducts.aspx?Manufacturer_ID=59&Model_ID=186

Take a look at the link below, Toyota use there own set up of audio connections ( as do most manufacturers ) you will need and adaptor lead which converts the Toyota plugs into standard ISO plugs if you have steering wheel controls for the radio you will also need another adaptor to allow remote control of your need audio unit: http://www.connects2.co.uk/VehicleProducts.aspx?Manufacturer_ID=59&Model_ID=186

Thanks ever so much for your response. Unfortunately I have not got enough knowledge to understand which equipment I require. I have explained that my yaris is 99 reg and had cassette player installed so I will really appreciate if you can be more specific about the equipment that I need. I can upload the photos of both my stereo and old one with car for your ref if that helps.

Thanks again.

Assuming your new stereo has ISO connectors (the brown and black plugs in the following eBay pic) then you'll need an adapter lead to convert the car wiring to ISO connectors. Something like this (depending on what connections are fitted to your car)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Yaris-Wiring-Harness-1999-Onwards-Lead-Cable-Loom-SameDayDispatch-NEW-/251524100202?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a9001306a

Assuming your new stereo has ISO connectors (the brown and black plugs in the following ebay pic) then you'll need an adapter lead to convert the car wiring to ISO connectors. Something like this (depending on what connections are fitted to your car)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Yaris-Wiring-Harness-1999-Onwards-Lead-Cable-Loom-SameDayDispatch-NEW-/251524100202?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a9001306a

Thanks Alan,

My new one is this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300953272315?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

But my old one is a cassette player so it comes with 3 connectors one blue and 2 white one & the antenna of course.Really confused.Your help is much appreciated.

It looks like your new stereo doesn't have ISO connectors which most aftermarket stereo's have. Instead it has wires with the ends marked for what each wire does. It's difficult to tell from the picture but it looks like the bare wires at the ends aren't bare, rather they have some sort of cover over them, and the eBay listing says ISO compatible, so maybe what they mean is that each wire end could somehow clip into connector points in an ISO connector (if your car had one).

So, I see two options...

One is to buy an adapter cable to convert your car connectors to ISO, then plug the relevant stereo wires to the relevant ISO holes (if the wires have a plug-in type ends right enough, which they might not). Doing it this way means the old cassette player could easily be re-fitted later if required.

Two is to cut off the old car connectors and connect the wires directly to each other. Obviously to re-fit the cassette player you'd need to re-connect the old cable. Personally, I'd cut the wires.

Figuring out the wiring shouldn't be difficult if you have a multimeter or tester. Check your new stereo installation book but you'll probably need a 12 volt positive which is live all the time, a 12 volt positive which comes live when you switch the ignition on, a 12 volt negative, and a pair of wires for each speaker.

Often if there's several different plugs going into the stereo they are in groups, ie a plug for the Speakers, a plug for the power, a plug for the steering wheel controls etc. Assuming you have 4 Speakers then see if one of your plugs has 8 wires, this will probably be the Speakers. Each speaker pair is often colour matched and opposite each other on the plug, for example yellow with a blue stripe and yellow with a green stripe could be a pair, or grey/white and grey/yellow could be a pair etc. Set the speaker plug aside for now and find the power plug.

Using a multimeter or tester take the negative end and hold it against a good earth (12 volt negative) somewhere. I usually use the metal surround of the cigarette lighter (only the metal surround, don't let it touch the bottom). Now take the positive end and go through the wires until you find a live one. Ensure it stays live with ignition on/off, with lights on/off, and with dash lights dim/bright. This is your permanent live feed. Do the same until you find another wire which comes live with the ignition switch, this is your switched one. Now hold the pos end of your meter against the permanently live wire, and put the negative lead on each wire until you find one which makes your meter read 12 volts. Hopefully there will only be one, this is your 12 volt negative.

Connect the above three wires to your new stereo as per it's instructions. It should light up when you put the ignition on. Now take a pair of speaker wires from your stereo and hold them against what you reckon is a pair of speaker wires on the car (with the volume turned up a bit). See which speaker sounds, and connect them to the relevant feed from the stereo. Do the same with the other three speakers.

As always if you're not confident get someone who is to do the job, you don't want to risk a fire or something.

• Like 1

You are a star Alan. I will try to work it out as you said. But it would have been better if I could communicate with you more directly so I could take the pictures of the actual thing wire and send you. But any help is much appreciated.

Can anyone tell me which converter to buy as i have failed to understand where to put which wire.Thanks in advance.

Assuming the two white plugs fit your car then it'll convert the car to ISO connectors, but your new stereo doesn't have ISO connectors (or at least the eBay listing doesn't show them, or say it has them). Have a look at the wiring instructions for the new stereo and see if it says which wire should go to which specific place in an ISO connector - if it doesn't tell you then you still need to figure out which wire connects to where, as I tried to explain earlier.