Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaking Tail Light? Not A Problem.

Phann

On collecting my Auris after servicing, I always noticed that the near-side tail light was quite misted. I mentioned this and was told that it was probably caused by the power washer used to clean my 'already spotless' car. Not anticipating any long term issues, and with the reassurances given by one of the service team, I never gave it a second thought - This car had always been protected under cover and rarely used in wet weather in it's 6,800 miles since the date of purchase. I'm pretty sure that it has only ever needed a light wash and polish in order to keep it looking pristine.

This year, I duly took it in for service and asked once again, "why is my tail light misting?" "Oh, let's have another look", replied the smiling member of the service team. You can probably imagine what happened next. He said that this light was filling up with water and I probably needed a complete new fitting and as the vehicle was now out of warranty it was my responsibility. &^%&^*(&(%^%$!! Naturally, I wasn't having any of that and after a few minutes of, shall we say, 'calm negotiation', he agreed, as a 'gesture of goodwill' to carry-out the fix at a later date.

So, after being in the care of this dealership for a further TWO days to rectify this problem, I collected it yesterday, only to be told that, "YES, they have hopefully fixed the problem, but in order to remove the last of the condensation they had to drill 4 holes in this fitting to allow for that and ... winter is approaching and the days are becoming quite damp now, we don't want it misting up again, do we?" £$^&%&^&(&)*)()(_*(^£@!! On further inspection I have noticed lever marks on the paintwork which will clearly attract rust in the very near future ... 'especially with the damp winter days that are fast approaching'.

.................. breathe in .......... breathe out .................

I've since called Toyota customer services for an explanation as to why their 'highly trained technicians' are capable only of an agricultural approach to fixing what is clearly a design fault.

I'll keep you posted.

Phann.

I feel for you.

After seeing the "valeting " team in action with the pressure washer I informed the service dept that under NO circumstances was my car to be valeted.

Pressure washers, if used in a slapdash fashion, can force water where it would not normally go.

Very few rubber seals can withstand direct water pressure of 120 bar.

Who authorised them to drill holes in your car?

Hope you get some recompense from Toyota.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm still reeling from the shock of what has happened to my cherished motor.

I also feel that pressure washers should NEVER be used on vehicles and I certainly didn't authorise anyone to drill holes in this light fitting. I suspect that they had no intention of curing this problem, the holes were merely a means by which any water ingress can escape in future. Bodge job.

Phann.

Sounds to me you are due a complete new light at their expense and a respray around the affected area. Just incase you need it the main customer service email address is:-

customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk

Good luck.

Mike.

Thank you Mike,

This information is very much appreciated. It's refreshing to know that I have the support of like-minded people on here.

... it's been a nightmare so far.

Paul.

• Like 1

Thursday 2nd October

Received a call last night from the Toyota dealer. They suggested that I could take my car in today for all remedial work to be carried out. Apparently, they would remove a lamp unit from another vehicle and swap it with my now damaged one. They also have a mobile paint man (I assume Mr Chips) who will repair any paint damage. Not sure if I like the sound of this so I'm just putting it out there for any comments.

Alas, it seems that my near-side indicator has now given up the ghost. Telephoned the dealer to cancel until a later date.

Would love to hear your views. Thank you.

Presumably they are taking the light unit from another car they have for sale - but, are they checking that replacement light unit for condensation before the swap? Would have thought that any issue with water getting into the light unit would be as a result of a faulty seal - so I would ask them if the seals can be replaced.

As regards the SMART repair to the paintwork, usually the contractors dealerships use are very good.

My Toyota dealer uses a "smart repair" man quiet often.

My bonnet had a large (to me) stone "dink" and the paint guy repaired it with no problem,and it was perfect.

Dealers use these guys a lot because cars can get slightly damaged in transit,they are often small scratches that are not worth doing in a body shop.

So when you pick up your shiny "new" car you might be surprised to know how much paint work repairs it might have had done to it.

If they are going to replace the whole light unit then I would go for it (at least it won't have holes drilled in it).

Ken/Mike. Thank you for your response. I'm actually thinking about the poor unfortunate soul who buys that donor car. The ideal solution, from my point of view, would be to simply replace the unit with a new one. The time spent removing 2 units is surely not cost effective ... or fail safe. One would hope that, in any event, the seal would be replaced too.

Indicator is now functioning correctly - Loose connection.

Just received another call from the dealership. They have finally decided that a new replacement unit would be the best way forward, together with the paint repair. It's been a tough old ride, but at last, common sense has seen the light of day.

A very relieved Toyota owner. :-)

After seeing the "valeting " team in action with the pressure washer I informed the service dept that under NO circumstances was my car to be valeted.

I don't let them clean my cars either. Last time I allowed them to clean a car it took me a fortnight to remove the waxy crap they smeared all over the windscreen. That's one 'carried out for free service' I can do very well without.

I don't let them clean my cars either. Last time I allowed them to clean a car it took me a fortnight to remove the waxy crap they smeared all over the windscreen. That's one 'carried out for free service' I can do very well without.

Last time myne was in for service and they cleaned it... Not properly, looking at the alloys, half had been cleaning and in the corners you could see black dirt a mile off, i had black dirt stains all over my car, rubbish wash and vac cose all they did was spray with water.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links