Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.2 Aircon

john21245

Hi, I've just bought a 2005 petrol for my son. I did the usual checks and we are very pleased with it. Of course the first thing he tried when he got it was the A.C., I didn't give it a thought. When you press the switch the light flashes ( the one in the switch). It seems this indicates some sort of fault with the system. Will it cause any problems to leave it for a while (not used of course) or will more damage be caused to the system by ignoring it?

It was a private sale so obviously we've got to fix it ourselves.

A mate of mine had rav 4.2, he also had a flashing light on the switch but not all the time, he got the air/con recharged and that fixed the problem for him.

The silver aluminum pipe that runs from the bulkhead, down to behind the grill has a sightglass, this is were you can see the air/con liquid in the system, with the engine running and the air con turned ON, look at the sightglass it should be clear, if lots of bubbles running past, the air/con needs recharging, this could due to a leak or natural loss over time.

It won't cause any damage if you leave it. It may need just regassing, mine had a fault where it would work ok once turned on but if you turned it off or stopped car and restarted would then flash and not work, turned out to be the clutch on the compressor which a excellent retired Aircon chap sorted by replacing a shim in the clutch.

It will need connecting to proper equipment to check through. Have you checked the oblivious like aircon filter not totally blocked, behind glove box?

Thanks for all the replies looks like I may get away with just regassing. I will get it checked Monday and let you know how I get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Halfords for a free aircon check, A re gas costs around £35:00

Well my son finally got round to taking the car to Halfords for the free air con check. They said it needed regassing. Still wouldn't work when filled, and after further investigation decided the compressor was seized. Quoted £850 to fix but only charged £20 for the regas. I think he will be opening the windows for a while!

Go to Halfords for a free aircon check, A re gas costs around £35:00

Well my son finally got round to taking the car to Halfords for the free air con check. They said it needed regassing. Still wouldn't work when filled, and after further investigation decided the compressor was seized. Quoted £850 to fix but only charged £20 for the regas. I think he will be opening the windows for a while!

Have a look on eBay for a compressor.

It may only be the clutch on the compressor, my aircon chap said that most company's will quote for a brand new compressor hundreds of pounds where you only need the clutch for less than £100. Don,t listern to what they tell you, he said the clutch can be changed Independantly to the compressor. The clutches seize, mine required only a smaller shim to get it to work correctly, find a decent aircon engineer with experience. Start to finish with regassing cost me £40.00

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links