Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Auris Owner

aaron_auris_sr180

hi all just thought i'd say hello. just traded in my renault clio 197 sport for an auris 2.2 sr180 5 door. the clio is an extremely good fun hot hatch but we now have a baby and its time to move on to something a bit more family orientated so after much research i decided to go for an 2009 38k miles auris sr180 from a toyota dealership. hopefully not a decision i will regret. i have seen the guide by rick d4d for cleaning the egr valve and will be looking to do this as soon as possible. alloys could do with refurb and the budget rubber on the fronts will have to go. was suprised to see it had built in sat nav when we went out on the test drive as this was not mentioned in the ad. what do other owners think of these? thanks

aaron.

I've had mine just over 6 months now and it's been great.

Was a bit concerned after reading some of the posts on the forums but (touch wood) I've had no issues.

Good decision in putting a chip in it as the difference is incredible. Mine even gives a better mph return as well.

The only real down I can put on it were a couple of clicks and creaks in the cabin area, but once found they were quickly solved.

How you getting on with yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

hi. picked her up today. i noticed some rattles in the cabin too but i've had lots of french cars in the past which are well known for their cheap rattly interiors so it's no big deal to me. a bit of anti-rattle tape here and there and i'll sort it eventually. went from the dealer straight down the motorway 70mph on cruise control. noticed puffs of white smoke coming out exhaust every 30-45 secs. i'm no mechanic but im assuming DPF regen perhaps?? its an 09 plate with 38k miles so probably not seen much motorway and not had chance to regen that much. going to run some fuel treatments to give the system a clean out. fitting the Tunit box on Sunday, cant wait!.. although its got plenty of grunt as standard!

I am also a new Auris owner- and it's a SR180 version. Had it for about 6 weeks and heading towards 2k miles added to the clock. It has been very good- great to drive and good space/storage- then again I was coming from an MR2 Roadster!!!

My commute is about 18 miles, mainly on faster A roads and I am getting high 30's according to the clock. It will be interesting to do a long run to see how this changes but I am getting nearly 400 miles out of a tank- not sure this accurately reflects the on board computer? Having read up about this version before I bought it I knew it wouldn't return the MPG stated on the tin!!!

Love that torque though and smooth ride.

Will update over the coming months.

Best wishes

• 1 month later...

so it been just over a month with the auris and it's very disappointing to say the least. three AA visits, three trips back to the toyota dealership (fourth booked for next week). every week something else seems to go wrong with this car. enough was enough and i decided to write a firm but fair letter of complaint to the MD of motorline toyota ashford (emailed and posted). phone call next day assuring me that he will personally ensure that all the issues mentioned will be rectified. here's hoping they are. shame really because it's a great car. i just want it to work as it's supposed to. not too much to ask is it. especially when you pay a premium to buy a motor from a main dealer's forecourt.

Hi I have just joined the forum too, and was/am considering a SR T180 but the talk about engines needing replaced has made me think! was looking at a 2008 with 57k miles and mostly dealer history? having mostly had Vauxhall oil burners 1.9 cdti 16v and thought they were quick!

Hope you guys have no problems but I'm still on the fence but really fancied one

Cheers Ronnie

all cars have their problems and forums wont help with their scare stories (like mine). i was well aware of the engine replacement issues with the car before i bought but you cant let them scare you. test drive one and see what you think. but one word of advice. go for a good long test run. get the engine warmed up and then check for smoke/performance issues. the toyota dealer i bought from had a set route about 2 miles long. no time to warm up at all. didn't get to see the smoke pouring out the exhaust until it had properly warmed up on way home on collection day.

all cars have their problems and forums wont help with their scare stories (like mine). i was well aware of the engine replacement issues with the car before i bought but you cant let them scare you. test drive one and see what you think. but one word of advice. go for a good long test run. get the engine warmed up and then check for smoke/performance issues. the toyota dealer i bought from had a set route about 2 miles long. no time to warm up at all. didn't get to see the smoke pouring out the exhaust until it had properly warmed up on way home on collection day.

Cheers Aaron, yes your right, probably read bad reports about every car made lol, it's just it's 200 miles from me! would hate to go that way to find it was goosed! and it's private sale not dealers

Cheers Ronnie

Yeah, there are common faults in almost any car you look at these days ;

With BMW TD's it's usually a blown turbo, with Audi/VW it's an oil pump letting go, with Nissan Qashqai's it's the front suspension, etc, etc. As long as you do your homework before buying, it's really only how you look after the car & a small percentage of good or bad luck that seals it. We've all heard about the Monday morning hangover car or the Friday 'let's finish early & get down the pub' machine. That's just new cars too, imagine if your used car has had two abusive owners & it was maintained by a poor garage ......

Just noticed the car I liked is marked as having 6 previous owners! last change July this year! would that put anyone off buying?

Cheers Ronnie

The current one could be due to change in circumstances or they're looking to off-load the car. Either way it raises a doubt ....

The current one could be due to change in circumstances or they're looking to off-load the car. Either way it raises a doubt ....

Thanks that's what I thought, it failed to sell on eBay! it's lovely car in white with all the toys nav full leather, oh well, and sorry to the op I seem to have hijacked this thread!

Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...

so i've had a call from motorline toyota telling me the car is ready for collection and they are "100% confident" they have fixed all my faults.

faulty 5th injector replaced - apparently there was some crap on the nozzle of the injector meaning it wasn't injecting into the DPNR properly and was just dripping causing the smoke....

ECU update for EGR valve,

new discs and pads on rear

complete new engine undertray.

hopefully i wont have anymore clouds of smoke following me along the motorway! also delivered to home today was a TMG leather sports steering wheel which should of cost me around £250 but instead cost me £40 delivered from ireland. it was exactly as described (new and genuine), it looks and feels mad and I cant wait to get it fitted. also the paperwork came through for my personalised plates and I have them ready to go on. standard uk size on rear and import size on front 13" x 6¾"

I've had my 1.4D Auris from new and its quite a good car I mainly use it as a city car I do take it out for a good run from time to time I have been sharing it with my Son which has its problems like no fuel in in it when I want to use it so next week I am buying him an 05 yaris I would have liked a SRT180 but I think they stopped making them in 2009 and I wanted a new one so we ended up with the 1.4

probably best to avoid the T180/SR180 unless you know its been well looked after. Toyota have failed yet again to fix the problems with our SR180 so I will be getting shot of it soon as possible and jumping on the VAG bandwagon (not something im proud of but it leaves me with no choice) or going back for another Renaultsport

It was problems with VAG diesels that led me to buy a petrol Toyota. I've come to the conclusion that nobody builds really reliable small diesels anymore. Hence me buying my first petrol car since 1996.

VW reliability is a triumph of marketing over reality in my experience!

Hi Nick I've had my Auris 1.4D for 20 months and its done about 16k miles and hasn't missed a beat its my first diesel car I've had loads of diesel vans my latest is a Merc Citan and my last was a VW transporter which I put 150kmiles on in 3 years so far my little Auris has been very good I am about to buy my Son an 05 1.3 petrol Yaris

Hi, I'm sure if you're covering the mileage to justify a diesel they do still make sense. In fairness the 1.4 D-4D does seem to have a good reputation.

It's just that amongst myself, family and friends pretty much all the diesel cars we've owned between us have had a diesel-specific issue of some sort in the last few years, whether fuel system, turbo, dpf, egr or dmf.

Conversely in that time I literally cannot think of an engine or fuel system fault on any of the petrol cars we've owned.

The final straw for me was the cost of a fuel pump failure on a VAG diesel, which when I sat down and worked it out had basically wiped out all the fuel savings I'd made over the past two years versus the cost of running a petrol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links