Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 D4 2002 Difficult Starting Fault Code P1228

dalong

Hi Members,

Kind help appreciated with further 'hiccups' with my aging Rav please (milage approx. 115000)!

Rav has been difficult to start in the mornings over the last few weeks, especially when a colder ambient -seems ok on warmer mornings!

It takes a few seconds longer turning over before firing, with a slight splutter, yet was previously predictable beyond belief with instant start.

Once rolling it has no acceleration and holds back untill engine is warm, at which point it is back to normal, usually for the rest of the day.

I had the EGR valve off and cleaned thoroughly, as this has caused similar issues in the past, but the fault is still present.

Have just had codes read at a local garage and the following came up :-

P0100, P1115 and P1228.

I fitted a replacement pair of SCV solenoids a couple of years ago, but the issue then was dramatic power loss while driving -not on cold start and EGR clean was an instant fix last time I cleaned it to a lack of power.

Any guidance would be appreciated please?

Cheers

P1228 points to high pressure fuel pump and having just had this fault on 2002 Rav4 D4D with inremittent loss of power it was DEFINITELY the SCV's (suction control valves). Cost around £200 and come in a pair. Can be changed in around 1 hour,fiddly but DIY job.

P0100 - Mass air flow sensor circuit malfunction (not sure this is relevant though as I did disconnect the MAF the other night to apply 10k Boost spray, so this error might be from this)

P1115 - Something to do with coolant temperature

Poor cold starting can be caused by faulty glow plugs,even one down can affect starting.

Any chance they are old codes that have not been cleared in the past ?

Del

Raistlin,

P1228 is the code I'm concerned about!. Symtom of power loss is the same as I had 2 years ago, when I swapped SCV's but the issue only arose during journeys, often during motorway driving, then suddenly cleared and its worrying if a replacement pair of genuine valves have failed after 2 years.

Other codes could be old from removing components for last SCV swap or cleaning EGR valve possibly?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links