Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Hub

Ummer

Hi guys,

My name is ummer and am new to the forum and i drive a Corolla 2.0 diesel.

I have an issue with the car and hear a clunky and a kind of a knocking sound from the front right side every time i press the brakes.

I have has the discs changed, calipers checked and pads. They all seem good.

Ok, so i visited one mechanic and he tells me its my flywheel, which is totally nonsense. I went to see another mechanic and he tells me it is my front right wheel hub and it is not truly straight hence the noises.

Could any of you guys shed some light?

oh yes and further more i am on the lookout for a drivers side mirror as a total ****** kicked it off, it has completely broken and the wires have also ripped out! frustrated is an understatement!

The car is:

Toyota Corolla, 2003
Hatchback, D-4D, T3
2.0L Diesel

Thanks in advance guys.

Ummer

Hi,

Need to clarify a couple of points.

Did the noise start suddenly or slowly get noisier ? or have you just got the car and it was there when you got it ?

Do you mean the noise was there before you changed the front discs or did it start afterwards ?

Were new pads fitted with the new discs or were the old pads used?

Did you do that work yourself ?

As for the wing mirror, apart from a very expensive unit from Toyota its probalby a search of the scrap yards for a genuine one - though as you can expect its a popular part, or possibly one of these generic units from eBay suppliers, though never tried one of them so no idea how good a fit /look they are .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-2002-2004-ELECTRIC-DOOR-WING-MIRROR-RH-RIGHT-O-S-DRIVE-SIDE-RH-/231245574608?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3ACorolla&hash=item35d74f71d0

Hi,

Need to clarify a couple of points.

Did the noise start suddenly or slowly get noisier ? or have you just got the car and it was there when you got it ?

Do you mean the noise was there before you changed the front discs or did it start afterwards ?

Were new pads fitted with the new discs or were the old pads used?

Did you do that work yourself ?

As for the wing mirror, apart from a very expensive unit from Toyota its probalby a search of the scrap yards for a genuine one - though as you can expect its a popular part, or possibly one of these generic units from Ebay suppliers, though never tried one of them so no idea how good a fit /look they are .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-2002-2004-ELECTRIC-DOOR-WING-MIRROR-RH-RIGHT-O-S-DRIVE-SIDE-RH-/231245574608?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AToyota|Model%3ACorolla&hash=item35d74f71d0

Hi,

I have had the car for a year now.

The noise just randomly started one day. I initially thought it was something to do with the discs or pads. So i changed them together. All new, including the rear.

The noise is pretty loud.

Thank you for the link for the mirror.

Hi,

It could be so many things at the front end not necessarily the actual brakes.

When you changed the discs did you check the brake caliper slider pins , which allow the caplipers to do just that.

If they were siezed they might allow the pads to move around a bit creating a metalic sound.

My suspicion would perhaps be more something on the suspension which the force of braking causes the movement /noise.

Some of the known weaker areas are the two bushes for the anti roll bar or the drop links at the end of the bar.

I don't find it easy to test the suspension parts, but a decent mechanic should be able to do a quick inspection to locate the problem area; a mot test would almost certainly show up a fault, not necessarily a failure but an advisory if the wear is minor, despite the loud sound..

Lots of things to check as previous posters have said.....

Am presuming the noise was there first, then you replaced discs, pads and caliper was checked and noise was still there.

Did the mechanic check the wheel hub bearing whilst the discs were done? If not then suggest you get a check done for that.

Also if it started after pads replaced need to check that all bolts are tight and secure....had similar noise...only happened when brakes applied and checked everything....found that one of the bolts that held the caliper to the brake mounting so that every time the brake was applied it would clunk and sound as if something was loose.

As previous check suspension and worn anti roll bar bushes.

Think we need some more information if possible.

Lots of things to check as previous posters have said.....

Am presuming the noise was there first, then you replaced discs, pads and caliper was checked and noise was still there.

Did the mechanic check the wheel hub bearing whilst the discs were done? If not then suggest you get a check done for that.

Also if it started after pads replaced need to check that all bolts are tight and secure....had similar noise...only happened when brakes applied and checked everything....found that one of the bolts that held the caliper to the brake mounting so that every time the brake was applied it would clunk and sound as if something was loose.

As previous check suspension and worn anti roll bar bushes.

Think we need some more information if possible.

Hi.

I forgot to mention ive also had the wheel bearings done...

...the loose bolt you mention in the caliper is a good shout. Ill check that

Thanks

Hi,

I went back to the mechanic and he reiterated its the wheel hub and that i need another one....

Do you guys know where i can source one from, i have looked everywhere and i just can not seem to find one...

Thank You

Hi,

Bit confused about your reply..?

You say you have had the wheel bearing replaced, often a complete new hub and bearing unit is fitted or if the old bearing taken out of the hub I would have thought the fitter (?) would have noticed if there was any bad wear on the hub as well as the bearing ?

As to why you are having to source the hub, why, surely the garage can do that ??

Try you local motor factors like ECP and GSF etc or see eBay, they are selling some though no idea of quality, you gets what you pay for !

Surely you first pricing should be from your local Toyota spares dept.

Hi,

Bit confused about your reply..?

You say you have had the wheel bearing replaced, often a complete new hub and bearing unit is fitted or if the old bearing taken out of the hub I would have thought the fitter (?) would have noticed if there was any bad wear on the hub as well as the bearing ?

As to why you are having to source the hub, why, surely the garage can do that ??

Try you local motor factors like ECP and GSF etc or see ebay, they are selling some though no idea of quality, you gets what you pay for !

Surely you first pricing should be from your local Toyota spares dept.

Hi sorry for the confusion,

How it all started:

I intially heard a noise from the front end of the car, so i went to get it checked out by a mechanic. He looked over it and mentioned that the front drivers side wheel bearing needs to be changed, so i told him to do it. The noise went away after that.

A week or so later, the noise returned, so i went to the same mechanic, he told me my brakes and pads need changing, "they are on the way out, you need to change them". So i got them done, that front and rear discs and pads.

The noise then disappeared, so i thought the problem had been solved. So a few weeks later, the same noise returned, but only getting louder and creakier.

I explained to the mechanic that every time i brake i get that creaky noise, and as soon as i let go the noise goes, but driving at around 30-40 its like a juddering sound.

I went to a different mechanic just to get another opinion, he then looked over it, put it on the roller etc and then told me that my hub is not truly straight, hence the noises.

He told me to source one from a breaker and then he will do the work for me, he sounded pretty certain. I have read on another forum and someone was having this exact problem, it turned out that their hub was also not truly straight...

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Thanks.

Ummer

Hi,

I have not seen a dismantled wheel hub from the rolla, but do wonder what it is that causes it to run out, a kerbing of the wheel or similar physically damage, or wear of the shoulder that holds the bearing, or as I suspect, damage to the shoulder during removal / replacement of the new bearing ..?

Getting a second hand one, how do you know its sound ?? - there are plenty of online breakers where you mail them you needs and they come back with a price /carriage.

Assume your garage would need to put in a new bearing as well ..

As said before what are Toyotas prices, a quick phone call will get their price, for both the hub / bearing kit , at least you know its sound and you also know if a breakers quote is fair, they might want more that new if not careful.

Hi,

I have not seen a dismantled wheel hub from the rolla, but do wonder what it is that causes it to run out, a kerbing of the wheel or similar physically damage, or wear of the shoulder that holds the bearing, or as I suspect, damage to the shoulder during removal / replacement of the new bearing ..?

Getting a second hand one, how do you know its sound ?? - there are plenty of online breakers where you mail them you needs and they come back with a price /carriage.

Assume your garage would need to put in a new bearing as well ..

As said before what are Toyotas prices, a quick phone call will get their price, for both the hub / bearing kit , at least you know its sound and you also know if a breakers quote is fair, they might want more that new if not careful.

I also wondered why this has happened as i have not hit the car anywhere myself. I also think damage was caused during removal/replacement of the new bearing, however i have no way of proving this, i will just have to make do and try to get it fixed.

It might just be a risk i might have to take, take it off a car with low miles (usually breakers give 30 days guarantee and 3 months warranty) this will provide as little satisfaction.

Yes the garage will put in the new bearing for me also, i have spoken to him again he said, just get the part and bring the car, i will do the rest.

I contacted toyota and the guy i spoke to didn't really know what he was talking about (strange). He started talking about other parts of the braking system to me, which was pointless. So they didn't really help, he diagnosed the car for me over the phone without even hearing the full story, so was not helpful at all to be honest.

Have had a call back from a breaker and said the car has done 62,000 and will send out the entire hub for £72. Sounds pretty good, but they will not provide me with pictures. hmmm..I don't really trust that, i think i need to keep on looking.

Thank You

Ummer Saghir

Hi,

Would still find out what the price of a new part is.

Phone up a different localish or next town toyota dealer and ask for the parts dept who should first ask for your Reg number to identify the correct parts for your car.

Asking for the front right Hub should be perfectly straight forwards, as they should be looking at a diagram similar to this ; it probably comes with the bearing fitted.

If you still have problems then PM 'Kingo' in this forum who is also a parts mail order / toyota dealer with good prices for forum members.

If the scrappers want £72, plus the price of a new bearing that will put the whole hub to over £100 so if Toyotas new price was under £200 I would go for new.

Problem is even looking at such a part, which will naturally be very corroded on the outside, no one can really tell how good the hub is until its stripped and inspected or even not until refitted and road tested.post-95973-0-85513400-1412776648_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Literally can not find one. I have spoken to no end of people and they just don't have the entire hub. Really don't know what to do now, the noise is getting louder, not only does it creak, crack, knock and scrape it also is making a constant squeaking sound now. sounds like its all going to fall apart anytime soon.

Hi,

Wonder why you have not bought a new one from Toyota ?

Have you even asked them for a price ? are they that expesive new ?