Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Fuel Indicator - How Much Is Left?

alexsv_17

Hi there,

I was wondering how much fuel is left in the tank, when the fuel indicator appears on the dashboard?

The car is a 2002 Corolla 2.0 D4D with a 55 litre gas tank.

Thanks.

Hi,

As the books says when that light comes on fill up !

In practice think mine has about 1 - 2 gallons in it, have done about 40 mlies with the light on, however thats how my sensor reads my tank, will it be exactly the same in yours, doubtful ?

To test it yourself, get a can of petrol and run yours dry to see how long it will last.

Personally avoid running too low too often as always feel there is more chance of any muck in the tank getting sucked up and blocking the filter.

Wouldn't recommend trying the run-dry test on a diesel engine, they can be a bugger to re-prime (Although I think most of the D4Ds have a nifty fuel plunger for repriming the engine if it does run dry which makes it a lot easier!).

You can get a rough estimate by refueling when the warning comes up. Since the car has a 55L tank, just subtract the amount of fuel you put in from that and it'll give you a ballpark figure for the reserve.

IIRC my Yaris has about 7L left when the blinky fuel light comes on!

• Like 1

Wouldn't recommend trying the run-dry test on a diesel engine, they can be a bugger to re-prime
You can get a rough estimate by refueling when the warning comes up. Since the car has a 55L tank, just subtract the amount of fuel you put in from that and it'll give you a ballpark figure for the reserve.

Thank you very much, Cyker

I just can't bring myself to run the car past the point that the computer says I have zero range. Just makes me nervous and I can't stop looking at the display. Knowing that the tank has about ten litres left in it doesn't help in the slightest :dontgetit:

Funnily, this is what has soured me against battery-powered electric cars; I get absolutely no range anxiety from my Yaris as I know it can get to any fuel station within at least a hundred miles when the last bar starts flashing (I tried; That's as far as I got before I bottled it :lol:).

When you consider that the reserve fuel of my Yaris has equal to or even more range than the maximum distance of most current electric cars, it shows they really need to come up with a better energy storage system before they become more mainstream!

Funnily, this is what has soured me against battery-powered electric cars; I get absolutely no range anxiety from my Yaris as I know it can get to any fuel station within at least a hundred miles when the last bar starts flashing (I tried; That's as far as I got before I bottled it :lol:).

When you consider that the reserve fuel of my Yaris has equal to or even more range than the maximum distance of most current electric cars, it shows they really need to come up with a better energy storage system before they become more mainstream!

The average journey is 7 miles so would not worry too much about running out of Battery power ;) it is one of the most common misconceptions people have over electric cars. If you need to do a longer journey, then hire a car, get a train etc etc, it will be far cheaper!!

Back to the topic, you will have about 8 litres at least when the light comes on, I've seen salesmen drive a full week to work with the low fuel light burning your eyeballs out :lol:

• 2 months later...

Well here are the results :)

Last month I had the light twice appearing on the dashboard and I refilled to the top - the first time it it got 39 litres, and the second 39.2 litres.

Both times I refilled almost immediately after the light appeared on the dashboard ( i travelled no more than 5-7km to the gas station).

So apparently there's more than 15 litres of fuel reserve left on a Toyota Corolla 2002 D4D with a 55L fuel tank.

P.s I must say that both times I refilled on the same petrol station and I refilled until the pistol stoped - I do not fill in past this mark.

Sounds about right, I filled up just over 40 litres, probably because I clicked the trigger couple of times.