Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is It Worth Paying Extra For Premium Fuel?

smoky2004

Hello, I drive a 2004 Avensis 1.8 Auto, it runs on gas and petrol.

I usually use Shell V-Power petrol, is it worth paying the extra or is regular unleaded just as good?

thanks

Hello, I drive a 2004 Avensis 1.8 Auto, it runs on gas and petrol.

I usually use Shell V-Power petrol, is it worth paying the extra

Course it is ;)

• Like 1

The issue of premium over standard fuel has been raised in the past - with no specific conclusion one way or the other. Some people use it, some don't. Why not try Shell Fuelsaver, which is their standard fuel, and see how you get on with that.

I reckon if you drive a high powered sports car or something then it might be worth it, with a regular car the cheap stuff's fine.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give the regular petrol a try, don't think I can afford to keep paying extra for the expensive stuff.

It's a tricky subject. Certainly higher octane petrol doesn't really do much unless the engine has been designed to take advantage of it. You may get a slight boost as most engines have a slight extra leeway to avoid detonation at sea-level on poorer fuels but it won't be much.

The arguably more useful advantage of the 'super' fuels is they have more cleaning agents and can give the fuel system a good clean, removing gummy deposits and improving fuel flow.

That said, petrol is a pretty powerful solvent already and burns pretty cleanly so this is not such a big issue.

With diesel it's a different story; Better cetane ratings will benefit any diesel engine unlike higher octane with petrols, and they also benefit from the more powerful cleaning agents for keeping the delicate injectors in good shape.

I find my D4D runs noticeably smoother on V-Power diesel than normal diesel and it helps stave off the performance drop I used to get from driving it in town so much (I assume due to the injectors getting crudded up)..

However, there are downsides too; All those cleaning agents are not fuel, so there is less energy per litre in V-Power fuels. It burns more completely than normal diesel which offsets this a bit, but I find I get lower mpgs with V-Power than, say, Sainsburys!

In your case, I think the FuelSave is a good compromise; Is cheaper regular diesel but has the extra cleaning agents of the V-Power stuff.

• Like 1

The V-Power Petrol has 25% more additives than the dino fuels. These posh fuels are a semi synthetic GTL (Gas To Liquid) rather than the stuff that comes out of ground. I wouldn't run my diesels or Petrol motors on anything else. My view is that you might pay a bit more @ the pumps! But it could save you a load of dosh if your diesel fuel pump goes due to these Ultra Low Sulpher Diesels. It's horses for courses at end of day :)

• Like 1

It's a tricky subject. Certainly higher octane petrol doesn't really do much unless the engine has been designed to take advantage of it. You may get a slight boost as most engines have a slight extra leeway to avoid detonation at sea-level on poorer fuels but it won't be much.

The arguably more useful advantage of the 'super' fuels is they have more cleaning agents and can give the fuel system a good clean, removing gummy deposits and improving fuel flow.

That said, petrol is a pretty powerful solvent already and burns pretty cleanly so this is not such a big issue.

With diesel it's a different story; Better cetane ratings will benefit any diesel engine unlike higher octane with petrols, and they also benefit from the more powerful cleaning agents for keeping the delicate injectors in good shape.

I find my D4D runs noticeably smoother on V-Power diesel than normal diesel and it helps stave off the performance drop I used to get from driving it in town so much (I assume due to the injectors getting crudded up)..

However, there are downsides too; All those cleaning agents are not fuel, so there is less energy per litre in V-Power fuels. It burns more completely than normal diesel which offsets this a bit, but I find I get lower mpgs with V-Power than, say, Sainsburys!

In your case, I think the FuelSave is a good compromise; Is cheaper regular diesel but has the extra cleaning agents of the V-Power stuff.

Have you tried 2 stroke? I've had a few diesels in the past and always used the cheaper diesel with about 200ml-250ml of 2 stroke added to a tank full of diesel. It made a very noticeable difference, smoother, quieter, less gear changing and allegedly better mph. I've also been told the 2-stroke keeps the injectors clean but no idea if this is accurate.

Hi, i know some people use the dearer stuff every 4th tankful just to clean the engine out so assuming you fill up weekly once a month it certainly won't hurt to spoil your car with the dearer stuff, it's a saving you can't see but i honestly believe it will keep the internals of your engine in better condition.

Mike.

• Like 1

I use 2T low ash in our 2.8L XS GV oil burner on every fill up. And yes it does make a difference to the engine note and lubes the pump and injectors at same time.

An alternative that some people choose to do is use a normal brand of fuel with an additive to bring it closer to the premium fuel level in terms of octace/cetane, etc. The additives are generally cheaper than the cost of the premium fuel. They usually have chemicals in them that disperse water, clean injectors, etc. I've always found these things to be more of a seats-of-the-pants thing, there's little measurable difference but the cars 'feel' better and clean injectors must be a good thing!

I think there are a lot of "Snake oils" out there! But the only 2 I've used that do work is BG244 and Archoil 6200.

I think there are a lot of "Snake oils" out there! But the only 2 I've used that do work is BG244 and Archoil 6200.

Some say Brains SA is snake oil as it turns some men into Cobras .............. :-)).

• Like 1

My car definitely runs better on V-power but any mpg improvement doesn't cover the additional cost. So it is up to you if you value the improved running & any potential reduced maintenance costs in the future enough to use it all the time or even 1 in 4 tanks.

Some say Brains SA is snake oil as it turns some men into Cobras .............. :-)).

Lol... To true an all old friend :)

Have you tried 2 stroke? I've had a few diesels in the past and always used the cheaper diesel with about 200ml-250ml of 2 stroke added to a tank full of diesel. It made a very noticeable difference, smoother, quieter, less gear changing and allegedly better mph. I've also been told the 2-stroke keeps the injectors clean but no idea if this is accurate.

Can't say I have, although we do have a few people here who swear by it!

I just stick some V-Power in every few tanks or so to stave off the power loss, but I'm more leery of putting in random additives. There is precious little info out there aside from anecdotal evidence and I don't want to risk mah lovely engine! :eek: :D

If the manual for your car doesn't say that you should use premium it's just a waste of money.

If the manual for your car doesn't say that you should use premium it's just a waste of money.

Premium and higer octane fuel aren`t necessarily the same thing

• Like 1

It is a bit confusing as the lowest level of petrol is called Premium here, and is 95RON. They don't sell the lower octane 'regular' since decades ago. All Diesel is BS590 ULSD; You can't get LSD (haha) any more.

The higher spec fuels get called 'super' fuels in slang, not sure if there is a proper term...

• 1 month later...

I use premium fuels about every third tank for the cleaning effect but don't get any better mpg from them, probably worse, which would confirm the less bang more cleaner for your pound scenario. Typically I get from 48 to 52mpg from my 172k 1.8 7AFE manual. I used to have a 2011 Citroen Berlingo 1.6dt van and that was much smoother and powerful on the premium fuels but again no real mpg gain. The only real way to improve mpg is good servicing and right foot control, there are no magic fuels out there.

• Like 1

Hi,

For me the price difference between regular unleaded and the higher quality option puts me off using it regularly. I do believe branded fuels to be better (contain more detergent) than supermarket fuel so I use branded (BP and Shell).

So in a way I agree.

Better quality fuel is worth using but not to the point of the super premium stuff that is much dearer. A bottle of injector cleaner a couple times a year I think is worthwhile.

• Like 1

I will be following this with interest, our (new Zealand) aa reported issues with the d4 engine and the upshot way around particular brand of fuel gave issues rather than premium vs standard in fast most reported theirs ran better on standard which is all i have tied it's a little rough at idle but performance in general is finely on standard

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links