Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help And Advice Needed Urgently!

aaron_auris_sr180

hi all. i've had my 2009 auris sr180 for all of one whole week now (purchased as an approved used toyota from main local toyota dealer). engine light came on today with limp mode. using my own obd2 scanner i've got trouble code p2002. a quick autodata search has showed this is a known issue (as most of you probably already know)

Known fixes and bulletins

Bulletin

Affected vehicles

• All models with Diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Problem

• Engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated.
  • Trouble code stored: P2002.
  • Engine runs in limp home mode.

Cause

• Engine control module (ECM) software fault.
  • Diesel particulate filter (DPF) pressure sensor vacuum pipe blocked.
  • Diesel particulate filter (DPF) blocked.

Remedy

• Check all DPF pressure sensor vacuum pipes are correctly fitted and have no leaks.
  • Check operation and condition of DPF.
  • Re-program ECM with upgraded software.

so obviously i have called the toyota dealer and will be taking in tomorrow morning for diagnostics and to pick up a courtesy car. im expecting them to tell me its a new dpf at a cost of around im guessing. £1000-£2000.

im guessing the one years toyota warranty that came with the car wont cover this as i think DPFs are considered a consumable? <--- can someone confirm???

im not a big fan of warranties anyway. most of the time they might as well be printed on toilet paper because that is all they are good for. so on to the law....

Sale of goods act 1979...

When you buy a used vehicle from a trader you are making a legally binding contract. You have legal rights against the trader under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

The vehicle should be:

- Of a satisfactory quality
- free from minor defects, safe and durable for a reasonable length of time. When assessing satisfactory quality you should take into account the price you paid for the vehicle, its age, mileage and condition at the time of sale.

- Fit for its intended purpose or a purpose that you made known to the trader - fit to be driven on the road.

- As described
- the vehicle should correspond with any description applied to it. In some circumstances, the trader may be liable for any statement made by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

If the vehicle is faulty , you are legally entitled to request one of the following remedies:

• a full refund
  • compensation (damages)
  • repair or replacement
  • rescission or reduction in price

So as i have only done quarter of a tank of diesel (about 150 miles) since taking delivery 7 days ago, i think its fair to assume i have a good case for them to cover the cost of repairs under SOGA1979.

my question is.. i will not only be writing to the manager of the dealership, i would also like to take it further and copy in emails/letters to toyota customer relations.

can anyone recommend a particular person or persons in this dept that i can liase with and explain my situation?

to finish: i purchased an approved toyota from a main dealer to hopefully avoid these situations. as you can imagine i was ridiculously cross when the wife rang to tell me it had broken down already. i was expecting a decent, reliable product from a manufacturer who, at least i thought, had a good reputation for building robust reliable cars. i am not impressed in the slightest.

if they kick up stink about repair cost i will, as im legally entitled to under SOGA1979, have to reject the car and ask for a refund. which is a shame because its is actually a pretty decent car and i do enjoy driving it.

also just to throw this in the mix, i part-ex'd my renaultsport clio in and financed the remainder. so this paragraph may also apply

If you paid for the vehicle wholly or in part using a credit card or a finance agreement arranged for you by the trader, then you may be able to hold the finance provider 'equally liable' (which means equally to blame) for a 'breach of contract' (such as selling faulty or misdescribed goods). You can also hold the finance provider equally liable if the trader misrepresented the vehicle to you. These additional rights apply if the cost of the vehicle was below £30,000. If the cost of the vehicle exceeds £30,000 and is less than £60,260, you may be able to claim against the finance company under section 75A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 if the finance was arranged specifically to buy that vehicle. If you are unhappy with the finance provider's response, seek the advice of the Financial Ombudsman Service . This is a complicated area of law and you should seek advice from the Citizens Advice consumer service.

if anyone can help or advise me in any way then please respond!! thank you!!

Aaron.

I certainly think they should be footing the bill for at least most of the costs. You have done your homework on this so, in the event of initial disappointment, go in armed with all the information you have. I'd threaten to leave the car there if they don't correct the issue immediately.

Your contract of sale is with the dealer - not Toyota. So you need to make any claim against the dealer, not the manufacturer.

Also if you bought the car on HP, you are covered, not under SOGA, but under Supply of Goods Implied Terms Act 1973 - which makes the HP company responsible for the quality of goods supplied and gives you slightly different rights.

See what the dealer says, and if you need to take action under one of the above Acts, your best port of call would be Citizen's Advice.

so puchasing from a Toyota dealership (which i have) is not the same as purchasing from Toyota?

With any car manufacturer's dealer network, when you purchase a vehicle, the contract of sale is between the buyer and the dealer - not the manufacturer.

Exactly the same applies if you buy a Hotpoint washing machine from Currys - the contract of sale is between the buyer and Curry's, not Hotpoint.

P2002 was covered by my toyota extended warranty at 6 years old.

Dpf differential pressure sensor was blocked

Fix was a new dpf sensor and clean out egr and inlet manifold. No cost to me.

With any car manufacturer's dealer network, when you purchase a vehicle, the contract of sale is between the buyer and the dealer - not the manufacturer.

Exactly the same applies if you buy a Hotpoint washing machine from Currys - the contract of sale is between the buyer and Curry's, not Hotpoint.

ahh i see i understand what you mean now.

so toyota uk customer services will not be interested in my situation?

I'd be expecting the dealer to fix it if I'd only just bought the car. I wouldn't expect them simply to reset the light.

I'm sure you'll get a satisfactory result from them, take it back and see.

well, they are interested in the performance of their dealer network.

You car however, is outwith it's original manufacturer's warranty (3 years/60,000 miles whichever came first) unless it had an extended warranty purchased for it. Or of course if sold as a Toyota Approved Used http://usedcars.toyota.co.uk/approvedbenefits.aspx?wflw=se_na_ap_vi&idx=0

However, your first port of call is definitely with the dealer & if you have only had a car a week then I would say that you are golden.

Btw, this is something that could have happened with any used car from any manufacturer. & it has to be said that modern turbo-diesels are less reliable than old ones (or indeed normally aspirated petrols) since they are now running at such high pressures & burdened with all the emissions equipment etc.

• Like 1

ahh i see i understand what you mean now.

so toyota uk customer services will not be interested in my situation?

Your first contact should be the dealer, who I would have thought will handle the situation positively given the fact you've only had the car a week.

Beyond this,Toyota will be interested in any problems you experience with the Toyota Approved warranty and whether you have problems with how the dealer rectifies the fault.

the toyota used approved in my opinion is a very good warranty, im sure you will be covered for the full cost of repair., also having only had the car for a week the problem was almost certainly there when you purchased the car

so got phone call yesteday afternoon from toyota garage saying cars ready for collection. when asked what problem was and what they did they said 2 fault codes: one related to EGR valve (neither I or the AA saw this code?!) and a DPF related code which i assume was p2002. they carried out a clean of the EGR valve as it was apparantly stuck open. thats a job i had planned for last weekend anyway but the car was with toyota so couldnt do it!! they said they also performed a forced regen of DPF. feels a bit better to drive. doesnt hesitate as much when putting foot down. no more random puffs of white-ish smoke coming out the exhaust every few miles, MPG wise: as I didnt really get to drive much before it broke I couldnt get much of a feel for its economic performance however im sure i didnt see the avg go over 42 before breaking. on way home from dealer it went up to 46 so cant complain.

not sure weather they have just fobbed me off with a cheap fix or not though. only time will tell i suppose!

• 4 weeks later...

cars been in and out of toyota quite a few times since we bought it now.. excessive play in handbrake, exhaust smoking every 30 secs or so once engine warmed up, squeeling auxillary belt, EML and a few other things. most have now been sorted except the smoke issue. they as good as told me i was imagining it. wasnt happy with that so master-tech came out for a spin (very nice guy) and it did exactly what i said it was doing. he said he had never seen anything like it. got to go back in for more investigation work and hopefully that will be that. buying this car has been a bit of a disaster so far but toyota have been good with me so its not all bad.

5th injector would be my guess for the smoke

Alex

you had this issue yourself?

• 1 month later...

finally some good news from toyota garage. they are "100% certain" they have fixed the smoking problem. they tried a new 5th injector which didnt do much, they tried some modified ECU software which also didnt do much. so they decided to replace the DPF and when halfway through taking the old one off they discovered that at some point in the car's lifetime, someone has been fiddling with the dpf. someone for whatever reason has attempted to weld parts of it up (didn't make a particularly good job of it according to toyota) and left a small hole in the dpf causing a differential in pressure which in turn was making the system constantly try to regenerate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links