Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris Engine , Major Problem

Toyota Yaris 999

I have bought my wife a one owner Toyota Yaris Diesel . Its a number 10 registration and has only done 36000 . It was owned by John Lewis partnership . I checked its service history and it has had two major services at Jemca but not the minor oil services in between . I really didn't think that mattered much as the car is in perfect condition . My wife was driving the car and she said it started to rev up very high on its own and literally Blown Up . The engine and oil all over the road . I have had the car transported to Toyota in Chelmsford . I really thought Toyotas were reliable , has this happened to anyone else ? ..... HELP !!!!!...

Hello Peter - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Yaris club.

Think we need a bit more information.

Was it a private sale or from a dealer? If a dealer, what warranty, if any, did it come with?

How long ago did you buy it?

When was the car first registered - if it was first registered before the end of May 2010, it would have had the 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty, if it was first registered on or after 1st June 2010 it would have had the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty.

Service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles - whichever comes first. As it has only had the two major services, the service history is incomplete - so if it was covered under the five year/100,000 mile new car warranty, that may now be void.

• Like 1

Thank You for the reply . I purchased the car privately and its was registered on the 6th of June , So I think the five year warranty is OK . Would Toyota be so bad to void this claim as this would now appear to be a know fault ? Many Thanks Peter Sullivan .

As stated above, the Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Think the problem you may have is as regards the service history.

The car should have had it's first service (intermediate) around June 2011, it's second service (full) around June 2012, it's third service (intermediate) around June 2013, and it's fourth service (full) around June 2014. This is assuming it has done less than 10,000 miles each year, and thus the servicing would be based on time rather than mileage.

Instead it has had just two full services in 4 years and 36,000 miles.

So the five year new car warranty may be void, due to the servicing not being carried out to Toyota's specified servicing schedule.

It could be said that the incomplete service history may have contributed towards the problem you have. This would apply to any manufacturer, not just Toyota.

Thank You for the reply . Its was serviced on the 12/7/11 at 8374 miles and 20/5/13 at 24062 , so I think it has been done on its mileage basis ? , what do you think , Thanks Peter .

Servicing needs to be on either the time basis (every 12 months) or the mileage basis (every 10,000 miles) WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.

Toyota allow 1 month/or 1,000 miles leeway in their service intervals. Given the details you have provided, servicing was due to be carried out on the time basis, not mileage. The first service was overdue (being over 1 month overdue). The next service was due around June/July 2012 - yet no service was done until May 2013. This being 9-10 months overdue.

So regardless of whether the issue with your engine is a known problem, servicing hasn't been carried out according to Toyota's requirements, and I suspect the 5 year new car warranty is void.

The fault lies with the previous owner, as they haven't complied with the servicing requirements.

Obviously Toyota will have the final say on this - but be prepared for a big bill.

Just reading through the forum and I came across this plus on the next page D4D problems where this problem is mentioned in detail. The contributors seem to be saying that it is a known problem and Toyota will fix under warranty - but only if you have full service history. Suggest have a look at the forum topic to see if it helps.

I have just traded in my 2008 D4D for a new Yaris Sport. I am on my 5th Toyota and have never had any problems with any of them.

Good luck

Really Pleased to report that Toyota Chelmsford have just advised that Toyota are replacing the engine free of charge , Many Thanks Toyota .

Lucky - don't think any other manufacturer would given the service history.

What is the "known" problem that makes the engine do this?

Yes I must agree that Toyota have acknowledged that my wife's car had a serious problem , and we are both very grateful to the manufacturer for there help . I would buy Toyota again and recommend there customer care , Peter Sullivan .

Yeah, I want to know too! This is the first I have heard of a runaway rev problem with the 1.4 D4D! :eek:

I have heard of such issues with other diesels, notably BMWs, where the oil seals on the turbo fail and it starts leaking oil into the engine which, being a diesel, happily combusts it even if the injectors are not firing!

Really Pleased to report that Toyota Chelmsford have just advised that Toyota are replacing the engine free of charge , Many Thanks Toyota .

That is really good news, I think you've struck lucky there - maybe once complete and a few weeks after collecting it drop a large tin of biscuits/chocolates off at the service department ;-)

Yes Toyota Chelmsford are extremely helpful . I will take them lots of nice things on collection , I am really pleased to tell anyone who has looked at this forum that Toyota have been first class .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links