Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello Everyone

neo88

hi, i came here seeking advice. bare with me i will give best description i can :)

i have had my celica 3 weeks! 3 days after having it, at 4am in the morning the alarm randomly went of :disgust: f (pretty sure its standard security) after turning the alarm off. i found i could not lock it via remote/fob. so manually locked the door and went back to bed digruntled. the next day, the central locking, unlocked the door no problem.

However, i noticed the door sensor was on, indicating that one of the doors was open when infact all were firmly shut.... i have had the odd trouble starting it as i think the alarm system is draining the Battery trying work out which phantom door is open! the alarm has only gone off once since the first time. i have had all the door sensors out and all have tested working. bar the boot sensor...where the heck is that blighter??? what has caused this and whats the next step in diagnosis, acception of the main dealership as they are somewhat ripoff merchants in this neck of the woods!

thanks in advance

mucho appreciated :help2:

Hiya Kat...welcome.

Sorry to hear of your problems...I can't answer all your questions I'm afraid, but I do know that the Gen 7 alarm system can be a bit temperamental..do you have a "door open" light on at all.?.

One thing to check is that you have NO metal/coins etc in the cup holders..!!..they can play havoc with the microwave sensor that sits below/near it.!..it's a common issue with the Gen 7.

Make sure your fobs are ok too...batteries.?

..Oh and don't forget to enjoy it..they are a great car to drive.! :thumbsup:

Neil

thanks neil :) thanks for replaying

yes i have an open door light on constantly. i have coins in the ashtray part... should i move those?? theres nothing in the cup holders...i did read about about them being tempremental lol. i have checked all the key fobs and they are all in working order. i have taken to opening and locking the car manually rather than using the remote locking. it only unlocks the car at the moment any how.

i had to comprimised my beloved hyundai v6 coupe for this car as it was giving me so much trouble i.e bcm and front suspension system, so this was the next best car on the list :) she seems to go well and everything as it should be. i am just a little disgruntled as it would be nice to go more than 3 months without some sort of car problem . majority of things mechanically i will have a go at my self. but the electrics side is uncharted territory

i've read up alot about the alarm systems on the gen 7's and by the looks the alarm may need resetting? expensive or easily done?

thanks

kat

I don't think the ash tray coins will be a problem..it's the cup holders you need to avoid.

I think there is a reset procedure but it ain't an area I'm familiar with tbh....thankfully my Celica is not currently afflicted by the alarm gremlin.

Hopefully someone will pick up on this thread with more knowledge than I have.

The V6 Hyundai was a consideration for me too.!!...but having done my research it seemed the Celica was the better bet..and so far so good.

It's been brilliant and I love it.

Hope you get the problem sorted. i know how irritating these things can be.

Neil

i will empty the ashtray of shrapnal too... just on the off chance it could be another cause for concern.all of the door sensors are getting tested tomorrow morning, failing that... its off to see the special electric grease monkeys. hyndai part are over priced for what they are and hard to come buy on certain things. such as a double outlet washer pump for the windscreen...87 fricking quid the dealer wanted. i had to restrain myself from laughing uncontrollably out the show room...lol

so after that i had to get rid of the v6, it was a money pit and not even a good one.it went in to a local auction in the end. felt like that film taken...

where they line all the girls up and dodgy men buy them lol im still pining over her lol but hopefully get little celica sorted and i'll grow to love it as much :)

how long have you had your celica?

any developements with the garages and i'll update here for others to see :)

Good luck with it...hope you get it sorted.

Only had mine since early Summer...but it seems a lot longer (which i think is a good sign).

It's addictive and I can't stop driving it..lol.

Which model do you have..the 140 or the 190.?..and which colour.?

The "Celi" has it's issues like any other car but it's robust and generally not too scary or expensive to fix.

Neil

i have the 140 in silver..silver seems to be a condemed colour for me lol

they have a nice little kick to them once they get going.

im just happy to driving something that wont have a fit and break so this little probelm is trivial to anything else i have, or atleast i

hope its trivial! mechanic said if the sensors all test positive and working, then there could be a break in a wire somewhere, or a certain board would need replacing (which is 1400 like on the rav's) so im hiping its nothing that pricey :)

i have been fotunate to drive a few other scary cars like like an r8, skyline, vanquish, amg, and an m3

safe to say i think those cars are just for looking at lol

they make my v6 look like puppy poo :P

I'm sure you'll get it sorted..and enjoy it.

The 140 is a nippy motor...and handles really well. I'd say it's better than the 190 for longer trips too as it cruises better.

The 190 is awesome on top end performance...but you have to wring it's neck to get it..lol

That's quite an exotic mix of cars..but as you say...not necessarily good everyday drives.

Keep an eye out for sticky calipers/coolant levels (the radiator can leak) and regularly check your oil level.

The pre-face lift gen 7 was prone to oil usage..the post face lift (like ours) should be fine...but always worth checking.

Generally a really good car and you shouldn't have too many issues.

Neil

i think those exotic cars are quite scary but are a terrifying expirience with me behind the wheel :)

i was fortunate enough to find a celica with a full service history, and all have been done at toyata garages throughout its lifetime so far luckily, which i'll continue to carry on as this car is actually worth a genuine service.

non of these little these little back street micky mouse vendors. i habitually check all fluid levels monthly anyhow as a i had to do with with my first car and its not a bad habbit to have. my celica had a new radiator fitted this year ( 4-5 months ago) for reasons unknown,

so the radiator leaking should hold off for a good long while

**update**

mt mechanic found what was causing the light dash probs, the boot door sensor, which is located in the actual lock mechanism itself. thats been disconnected and hey presto..no more Battery drainage (Battery was reading at 10.7 so was nearly empty..oops) the bonnet sensor has seized up, which he said was no suprise as bonnets are not open nealy as often, but that would only cause problems on an open ciruit.

so balls in my court if i want to change the boot lock, estimated at about 80-120max for that whole bit. i maybe fortunate enough to come across someone breaking a tailgate. but as it stands thats unlikely. as i have had a quick little scoot around in the our usual haunts for odd car part with no luck. but its not a major problem with it being disconnected :)

YAY NO ALARM SYSTEM RESETTING ...WHAT A RELEIF :yahoo:

so whats the difference between the pre face lift gen 7 and ours? i was more clued up on the se, III, and v6 with hyundai thinking i'd have it for a while..well now that infomation is useless to me, i would like to fill my braincells with celica infomation instead :)

kat

Result.!!!...great news.

Good news about the rad too...no worries there for while.

Sounds a good find, kat....mine was similar in that it has a full history and obviously a well loved car

The differences between pre and post facelift are different front end..ie old one use to have a small grille...the interior is better...bigger brakes (from 255mm to 275mm)..and importantly the engine was "modified" to take care of the oil usage issue.

The changeover was 2002.

There are breakers out there that may well be able to help you with the boot lock..!!!

try..."www.js-car-spares.com" for starters...there are others if you know where to find them.. ;)

Neil

the change over was on 2002? mines an 03 plate... im confused lol

eithway everything working on the car. i just have to get a rear break disk sorted as its rubbing but on testing the breaks (without warning) my bloke hit his head on the roof :oops::laughing:

but they worked seemingly well so it justufys the bump on his noggin.

thanks for the website. i had a check on there, and they are breaking 2 celicas :) unfortunatley when i went to email them the page wasnt recgonised , so i will have to give the a bell monday. i'm hoping they will sell me just the lock mechanism rather than the whole tail gate... might have to play the 'dumb blonde' card on this one :icon14:

kat

the change over was on 2002? mines an 03 plate... im confused

.??why.?...if yours is an 03 plate...ie 2003...then it was AFTER the facelift change in 2002.?? (ie an 02 plate).?

making your's a post facelift like mine.

Neil

right! i was being thick! mines actually a 52 plate, my coupe was 03 plated sorry.... be warned i have alot of these moments.... :bag:

right! i was being thick! mines actually a 52 plate, my coupe was 03 plated sorry.... be warned i have alot of these moments.... :bag:

LOL...I know those moments only too well.!

So, yours is on the cusp.?..pre or post facelift .?..does yours have that little grille at the front.?

Neil

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links