Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Limp Mode Issue

ejabrod

Thanks DOG.

Just thought I'd update the thread.

A full week and not into limp mode once.

Car is a lot more responive also. I think the fuel econmy has slightly improved.

Still don't understand how EGR could throw a turbo/boost code

Hi ejabrod as I said earlier if the engine temp is not to work temp the thermostat is still closed . It's not until the sensor detects the thermostat as opened that it send a message to ECU TO tell the EGR TO WORK IE OPEN & SHUT. The EGR IS shut when accelerating & open when cruising . When it was sticking open or shut the ECU WOULD show a fault code for the turbo, if the thermostat was closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Thanks DOG.

I didn't understand that the EGR would contribute to 'cooling' the engine as I though Exhause Gas Recirculation would mean hot gasses being recirculated (In my mind this would be crazy).

I'm guessing the barrell is of the EGR is closed by default (when I removed the EGR, I have to manually push the barrell down (which is the open position - I'm guessing). So, if due to carbon build-up, the barrell cannot be pushed down it remains 'closed'. (I have basically reiterated what you said - Doh!) this would throw the fault......

The bit I really didn't get was how the thermosat worked in conjunction with the EGR.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update....the car still has not gone into limp mode since cleaning the EGR..

Thanks to all who contributed to the thread

Hi ejabrod don't forget keep it clean& don't treat it mean. I use only Shell fuel & I use Archoil 6800 additive in every tank full. Well thats me , my avensis as done 177850k now still same clutch & exhaust& engine. Good luck best regards .

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Thanks DOG.

Unfortunately the fuel over here is almost all from the same source regardless of the sign over the door. But yeah, I have decided to clean it regularly and use diptaine every now and then.

I think the (clutch)release bearing is on the way out (I have a solid flywheel) and the power steering pump...ah well, it'll do for a while!

• 8 months later...

So, thought I'd update this issue.

The limp mode issue returned early this year and got progressively worse.

I replaced the boost control sensor (referenced in the 1st page of this thread) and for the last 6 months no limp mode. The sensor was not working at all.

Hope this might help someone some day :)

• 4 months later...

Suppose I'll wish everyone a merry Christmas......The Avensis is still driving - just passed 250,000 miles :)

• 2 months later...

I'm so glad I've stumbled across this post, mine is doing the same except it's uphill it's going into limp when giving it a bit of beans.  At least now I have a few ideas of what it could be, cheers :) :biggrin::clap:

• 2 years later...
On 12/24/2015 at 5:00 PM, ejabrod said:

Suppose I'll wish everyone a merry Christmas......The Avensis is still driving - just passed 250,000 miles 🙂

Happy Christmas lol

I know this is a few years old, but, did you mange to get the part 25819-27050 new for sensible money ? if so where please?

There are genuine Toyota ones on Ebay  I think about 180 quid now, I paid more than that for mine. But ud need to be sure that it wud solve ur problem before buying it.

3 hours ago, Ant-Rav said:

There are genuine Toyota ones on Ebay  I think about 180 quid now, I paid more than that for mine. But ud need to be sure that it wud solve ur problem before buying it.

Thanks, Yes, there's is a couple on eBay, for £200 odd