Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Shudder

geoweb2k14

Hi guys, I'm having fierce trouble with my 2005 avensis d4d steering. The car is fine driving slowly(40mph) but as soon as I go over that the steering shakes really bad. I've checked the discs and they appear fine. Would a worn track rod or steering rack bush cause this?. I do remember when I left it in to have it tracked before, the guy said he couldn't get it 100%. Could an unbalanced or buckled wheel also cause this ?. Thanks in advance guys....

George.

Forgot to mention that when I let go of steering wheel the car always pulls slightly to left and wheel naves left - right, left - right ect.

Hi guys, I'm having fierce trouble with my 2005 avensis d4d steering. The car is fine driving slowly(40mph) but as soon as I go over that the steering shakes really bad. I've checked the discs and they appear fine. Would a worn track rod or steering rack bush cause this?. I do remember when I left it in to have it tracked before, the guy said he couldn't get it 100%. Could an unbalanced or buckled wheel also cause this ?. Thanks in advance guys....

George.

Warped discs usually (but not always) don't cause vibration when not actually braking.

A buckled wheel or lumpy tyre would certainly cause it tho. A while ago I had a T25 Avensis with cheap (new) tyres on it which caused the steering wheel not to sit straight, although it didn't pull to the side. And recently our Auris was pulling to one side until I swapped the cheap (new) tyres onto the rears.

Check the wheels and tyres, and consider swapping the fronts onto the back and see what difference it makes. Worn suspension or steering components can also give strange problems, but changing the wheels over is an easy first elimination test, and it's free.