Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Excel Touch 2

gigondas

Hi folks, new to the club. I've just got my shiny new excel and generally vary happy.

I've read about "mirrorlink" being a feature of touch and can't find any proper documentation for the touch 2 system.

There is very little in the main guide book, and nothing specific of this feature. How can this be enabled? Does it require an app on the phone?

Many thanks for anyone's solution

• Like 1

Well, according to this "Toyota Touch 2 is ‘MirrorLink’-ready, which means is now easier than ever to connect mobile phones and then operate them entirely from the system’s touch screen. For more details on which phones are compatible, watch our online film." it appears to be?

Check this page out...

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-touch-2-faq#.VEV_uR3F_h4

• Like 1

Well, according to this "Toyota Touch 2 is ‘MirrorLink’-ready, which means is now easier than ever to connect mobile phones and then operate them entirely from the system’s touch screen. For more details on which phones are compatible, watch our online film." it appears to be?

Check this page out...

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-touch-2-faq#.VEV_uR3F_h4

Hi CPN

Thanks for that, interesting. Looks like that perhaps this feature only works when upgraded to 'go'. Hopefully not, I'll have to have a play tomorrow. Will be disappointed if have to have Go edition

Hmmm... I have the Touch 2 with Go and it's not really very clear to me just exactly what advantage "Mirrorlink" offers over and above standard bluetooth connectivity... Seems like a bit of a gimmick to me (unless someone knows differently?) I hooked up my Nexus 5 with tethering available and all the built in apps became available once it had logged in to the toyota.eu site. "Mirrorlink" seems to imply that all the apps on your phone (or at least some) will also become available but I haven't seen this in action...

• Like 1

Will have more of a play after watching the videos...sadly may be only features of go edition

I don't think it is actually because I watched a video on YouTube of a French guy and his Auris (with Touch 2) and with the help of a "Drive Link" app on his Samsung S3 Android phone, he was bringing up the Waze app reflected from his phone onto the Head Unit's screen! May be what you are looking for... :D

• Like 1

Mirrorlink will work on Touch 2 without go, however not all phones with mirrorlink will be compatible.

My daily phone is an iPhone 4s and does not support mirrorlink.

I do have a Nokia N8 that supports mirrorlink but the App has to be purchased for £17.99.

My thoughts were to move the USB into the glove box and leave the N8 perminatly connected so I have Touch 2 Sat Nav.

When I stop being the tight Yorkshire sod I was brought up to be, I will input my experiences.

Mirrorlink will work on Touch 2 without go, however not all phones with mirrorlink will be compatible.

My daily phone is an iPhone 4s and does not support mirrorlink.

I do have a Nokia N8 that supports mirrorlink but the App has to be purchased for £17.99.

My thoughts were to move the USB into the glove box and leave the N8 perminatly connected so I have Touch 2 Sat Nav.

When I stop being the tight Yorkshire sod I was brought up to be, I will input my experiences.

Does that pre-suppose that a Touch 2 with Go will not work then?

My Nexus 5 hooks up fine to my Touch 2 with Go and gives me everything except email (which I'm not bothered about tbh) as long as I have bluetooth tethering switched on for the internet connection. I tried MirrorLink (Android) as I'd like to run Torque on the head unit but nothing came up and anyway, Mirrorlink seems to be a bit of a pain as it wants to take over the bluetooth connection entirely and I don't need that really as I want the rest to work as well. One nuisance about Android KitKat (4.4.4) is that when the bluetooth is switched off and on again, it automatically switches the tethering off which is annoying... I want Bluetooth tethering to come on by default every time BT is switched on but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that...

I would expect mirrorlink to work with or without GO.

I just think the benefits of mirrorlink are APPS on screen, so not having to Shell out for the GO unit.

Hi planc, very interesting. I have tried plugging s4 into the car but I get no reaction other than charging. I don't have a specific app on the phone for mirrorlink as I cannot find one in play store or galaxy store.

I would really like to find a way to do this as it sounds like an exceptional feature!

That's one thing I haven't tried, a USB connection with mirror link...

Hi planc, very interesting. I have tried plugging s4 into the car but I get no reaction other than charging. I don't have a specific app on the phone for mirrorlink as I cannot find one in play store or galaxy store.

I would really like to find a way to do this as it sounds like an exceptional feature!

You do need the APP then when you plug the USB lead in, there will be another option to select on the Toyota Touch screen.

Hi planc, what exactly is the app called for android? Search for mirror link, drive link or a variety of similar gets no specific results in play store or galaxy store. I think I even check Amazon store and still nothing...

According to Toyota GB on the 4th of August 2014, I quote:

"Only Samsung Galaxy Note & S3 and a number of Nokia Symbian Belle handsets are compatable with Mirrorlink at the moment. The list is likely to grow in future as LG and Sony look to improve their phones compatibilities"

Samsung phones require the DriveLink app.

You maybe able to check phone compatibility at http://www.mirrorlink.com/

iPhones require AppinCar.

Interesting that they're talking about 3 year old phones...

Thanks again for your insight into this!

So managed to get the app (taken off uk app stores) and doesn't work for my s4. Balls

• 6 months later...

I've got a Touch 2 ( no sat nav) in my 2014 Yaris Hybrid and a Moto G 4G phone. My unit has not yet had the software upgrade despite me requesting the dealer to do so.

But despite reading the topic have no idea how to get mirrorlink working. Can't see anything on the touch 2 menus and when I search mirrorlink on play station nothing comes up. Does anyone know if my phone is compatable? Do you need a Touch 2 with GO to get it? Am I wasting my time? Do I need the software update?

Thanks

Terry

I read from somewhere at UK Toyota blog that only couple models are supported. I think Toyota said they're not really going to support it for more models as it is a safety issue if you could watch Netflix while driving :)

I'll try and be brief, Toyota's fitted with Touch 2 are Mirrorlink vers1 compatible, vers 1 allowed Toyota to restrict the type of content that would interact with the head unit and prevent videos from playing etc. Mirrorlink vers 1 is only available on older devices such as:

Samsung galaxy S3 with drivelink app

Samsung Note 2 with drivelink app

Ipone 4/4s with Appin car app

and a few old Nokia's

The current wave of new phones include Mirrorlink Ver2 or higher unfortunately these versions do not allow the restriction of certain apps by Toyota and therefore Toyota will not allow them to operate for obvious safety reasons

Thanks for the explaination. I was hoping I could get the sat nav on my phone to display on the built in screen. I suspect that Toyota are restricting mirror link not from safety concerns but to protect sales of the extortionatly priced sat nav option.

But the result is the same.

Terry

I bought the navi + aluminium rims for 590,84 euros (at the moment 423 pounds). It is a bit steep but it's a lot nicer to have the navi integrated than using separate navigator. It's the small things like not having a different device, instructions muted while talking on the phone etc. And wasn't there something else too when comparing Touch 2 vs. Touch 2 with go? Or was it just the navigator?

Don't know how much the rims would be, first link I found was 330-470 euros for 4 rims. Wonder how much you would get selling the original steel rims here in Finland where it doesn't make a difference with insurance (weird insurance you have there:) )

Thanks for the explaination. I was hoping I could get the sat nav on my phone to display on the built in screen. I suspect that Toyota are restricting mirror link not from safety concerns but to protect sales of the extortionatly priced sat nav option.

But the result is the same.

Terry

If Toyota where only interested in their own nav option they wouldn't have included the Mirrorlink the problem came from the phone manufacturers changing the software and allowing options that motor manufacturers won't such as video playback ( potentially illegal in the UK )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links