Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Fuel Consumption

mudinuri

Hi,

I might have asked this question before, if I have please excuse me, I am getting OLDER and more forgetful!!!!!

The Fuel consumption on my 1998 RAV4, 3 door, 2L petrol, manual seems to be getting worse. There are definitely NO LEAKS, anywhere, but what I have noticed is that the engine runs much quicker for longer when starting up and as I know absolutely nothing about mechanics I guess it might be something to do with what used to be referred to in older cars as the Choke!! or the modern alternative.

Any ideas? With the price of fuel what it is it would be nice to get more miles per gallon.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Repeating what's been said previously..................... In order to minimise fuel consumption:

- check engine compressions - gives an indication of engine mechanical condition.

- check historical fault codes

- check correct oil grade is being used.

- check that diff lock is out of engagement

- ensure that air and fuel filters are replaced if necessary

- ensure that spark plugs are replaced if necessary - check correct type and gap setting

- dose with fuel injector cleaner

- check for binding brakes

- carry out exhaust gas analysis

The exhaust gas analysis should indicate any fuelling issue. The usual culprit on this particular engine is the MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure) which essentially controls the air / fuel ratio

Depends on what you normally get. my wife averages 26.5Mpg on our 2000 RAV4 4.1 3dr 2.0 manual.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links