Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying Advise. 1.33 1.4D

r30ser

Hi Perfection,

Thanks for the advice.

I will be ringing customer service tomorrow, and will update my findings here.

Hi All,

Well....

I have spoken with Toyota Customer Services, and they have told me that all Yaris 1.4D-4D engines have a DPF.

This is including the 57Reg and 60 Reg cars I am looking at.

This was confirmed after quoting them the registration numbers.

I asked about DPF issues, and sometimes they clog if not allowed to regenerated properly.

The regeneration normally occurs at speed, (40mph+), and can take several minutes, depending on when it was last done.

When the regeneration occurs, a light appears on the dash to indicate it is running.

It is not a good idea to turn the engine off whilst this is happening, and is best to leave until completed.

If you do a lot of town driving, chances are the DPF will not get up to correct temperatures to regenerate.

In the event of the DPF clogging, it can be cleaned by a dealer from around £90.

If the DPF fails, worst case scenario for replacement is a few hundred pound.

Hopefully this is useful.

I just spoke to the garage selling the 57reg, and they have told me, it has no DPF.

Very confusing!

I don't think you have been given correct info from customer service. If in doubt check for differential sensor as I mentioned earlier.

Cleaning at £90 is a force regeneration and doesn't cure the problem.

I don't think you have been given correct info from customer service. If in doubt check for differential sensor as I mentioned earlier.

Cleaning at £90 is a force regeneration and doesn't cure the problem.

I have rung twice, and spoken to 2 different people, one of them from technical servicing, and all D-4D engines have a DPF.

So I am told!

As said before my 1.4D is a 59 plate, a T-Spirit. In the handbook their is no mention of DPF (logically it should do), the part of the handbook dealing with dashboard warning lights show none for regeneration of DPF, I have never seen a light come on the dashboard whilst I have been driving suggesting a regeneration is taking place. I do some m-way driving every week - usually 5 mile of it each way where I go between 60-70 mph but in 6th gear (about 1900-2200 rpm).

So long as you not moving slowly around town, if you doing decent journeys, enough to get the engine really hot (running in a lower gear to increase revs will do it) then I think you should be ok.

Does seem odd all these conflicting theories.

All d4d engines have a DPF?

Strange my 2003 one has none!:-)

All Euro 5 engines (and some before 2009) have a DPF, so not all D4D have a DPF

Hi Parts King,

Thanks.

I am only quoting what Toyota UK Customer Service have told me.

I conquer with he above reply. Only 2010 registered has dpf.

Also there is no light to indicate regeneration on mk 2 2010. Only fitted to dash on 2011 and later.

I only noticed my regeneration when the rpm reads 900rpm at idle.

I hate to say this...but I have to on this occasion.

Is that Technical and customer service don't really know how their product works. They just follow a flow chart...

Maybe I should drop an email to the MD to ask him to clarify since his staff seems to not know their products.

When I looked into the Yaris and Verso, I checked the emission and road tax payment. The cheaper and higher emissions will have dpf fitted.

Well, if my 1.4D has the DPF fitted it is running perfectly with no problems causing any concern.

Why don't you compare the data you have from the road tax cost and the emission data which is available on the log book or other web sources? And to be 100% sure for your piece of mind check the differential sensor, if there is one then it has dpf fitted.

I have never heard any or seen any complaint for cars with prior to 2009 when I researched into the dpf issue I had.

Catlover are you paying £30 for road tax? I pay £20 which has dpf fitted. Hopefully this will help the poster to decide from this data.

Hi Parts King,

Thanks.

I am only quoting what Toyota UK Customer Service have told me.

Yes understood

Maybe I should drop an email to the MD to ask him to clarify since his staff seems to not know their products.

Well he will not know for sure! :lol:

The MD for sure will not know and he doesn't need to know. But he expect his staff to know.

• Like 1

I have just read this post and all the responses with interest (I don't own a Yaris). The original poster wants to buy a Yaris and wants to know what is the best version to buy, what to look out for and is the car worth the price.

The discussion is now if a car has a DPF or not?

The answers have been that the VEL, the gearbox and the changes made to the later models. The one answer that stood out is the Differential pressure sensor (part no. 89481-12050), which is only found on Yaris with DPF. The dates are from 2008 to 2011.

2007 Yaris do not have DPF according to the information from the following links. Also chassis numbers help.

The following links, may help: -

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2007/yaris-frp/nlp90r-chmgxw/2_116520_015_316W/tool-engine-fuel/1905_vacuum-pump

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2010/yaris-frp/nlp90r-cglgxw/2_116520_059_427W/tool-engine-fuel/1708_vacuum-piping/2

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2010/yaris-frp/nlp90r-cglgxw/2_116520_059_427W/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer#89481B

http://www.japan-parts.eu/?part=89481-12050&regi=EU&cars=ok

The poster who mentioned the Differential pressure sensor and it's location, could add a couple of photos to help the OP, who may not be technical minded.

Good luck with the choice which should be good DPF or not. :thumbsup:

This thread has come in very handy for me as I currently find myself in the same situation. I drive an Avensis D-4D but trying to get a Yaris for the Mrs. From all that has been discussed here it seems I will go for the D-4D instead of the petrol, I just found one to go and check tomorrow for about £4500 (08 reg with 75k mileage).

It is SR trim and looks good from the pictures. Does this sound like a good deal? Also, which of the trims is best to go for? Thanks a lot for your help.

The wifes is a 58 plate and had 65k when she bought it in March for £5400 so your price doesnt sound too far off if at all.

Hers is a TR, dont know what the difference between Tr and SR, but it comes with air con, cr/radio, electric front windows, central locking, back seats that recline and slide forward.

Mine is a 59 plate and a T-Spirit. Main difference is climate control and keyless entry and start and 6 gears (wifes has 5 gears)..

Very sturdy car, nice to drive, both getting 58-62 mpg, low road tax, yours will be like the wifes at £30 pa I suspect.

I think sr is the best trim. Could you get the price down to £4000?

The mileage at 75 should be no problem. Mine is at 70k only had the alternator changed. Also the dpf saga issue. Other than this it should have no other major issue.

Well DPF or no, the advice is still the same:

If the car will be seeing a motorway or fast A-road regularly, get the diesel, otherwise get the petrol! :)

Well DPF or no, the advice is still the same:

If the car will be seeing a motorway or fast A-road regularly, get the diesel, otherwise get the petrol! :)

+++1000

I agree fully.

Thanks a lot for the response, mind made up, will try to get the D-4D with less than 80K miles. Hopefully should be able to get it for under 4.5k.

unless u r doing silly mileage 15k+, I would go for the 1.33. No DPF, turbo, dual mass flywheel to go wrong. Cheaper for servicing and engine parts. Cheaper fuel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links