Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Advise. 1.33 1.4D

r30ser

The 1.4 D4D, even with all the emissions crap bolted on, has been pretty reliable; We've had far less people with DMF or DPF issues compared with the larger D4Ds like the 2.0 and 2.2.

As long as it gets a good run on an A-road or motorway regularly (Or even if you just drive in town and only use the first three gears :lol:) to get the engine nice and hot, it'll be alright.

I don't get why people say servicing is more expensive: Standard service for a diesel is oil and oil filter, occasionally air and fuel filter. No need for spark plugs for instance.

• Like 1

unless u r doing silly mileage 15k+, I would go for the 1.33. No DPF, turbo, dual mass flywheel to go wrong. Cheaper for servicing and engine parts. Cheaper fuel.

On the other hand, I love my Yaris diesel because of the better torque excluding the 1.8 petrol engine the diesel is best on performance) and better mpg then petrol. The diesel is very nippy. So I will go along with what Cyker just said above and all the other positive comments.

If everything said is correct, it would appear my Yaris diesel has a DPF fitted. Not that I knew it, which tells a story. However, since DPF have been brought to my attention I have noticed that occassionally when I am moving off from stationary briskly there is small amount of black smoke not there other times. I assume this is the DPF "exhausting". If that is so, I can put up with that.

Thanks a lot for the advice and help. Struggling to get a D-4D at the moment with the money I have, may have to look at the 1.33 VVT-i. They are a bit cheaper but will have to look for one with low mileage.

Apart from auto trader, are there any other reliable source of used cars? Way too many time wasters on gumtree! :(

Hi All,

I finally made my purchase, after test driving the petrol (1.33) and diesel again.

The verdict was diesel, it was more fun to drive. and is worth the extra purchase price over the petrol, in my opinion.

My car is a 2011 1.4D T-Spirit. (not the newest shape)

I wasn’t originally looking for this spec, or as new as this, but the deal was to good not to.

Bought from a Toyota Franchise, who were very good start to finish.

I’ve only had it a few days, and done mostly town driving, plus a few rapid trips on the motorway, and I’m getting 52mpg.

Lighter footed, and I’m sure this will rise.

My previous car was 2.3 Turbo Petrol Volvo, which just about did 28mpg.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I finally made my purchase, after test driving the petrol (1.33) and diesel again.

The verdict was diesel, it was more fun to drive. and is worth the extra purchase price over the petrol, in my opinion.

My car is a 2011 1.4D T-Spirit. (not the newest shape)

I wasn’t originally looking for this spec, or as new as this, but the deal was to good not to.

Bought from a Toyota Franchise, who were very good start to finish.

I’ve only had it a few days, and done mostly town driving, plus a few rapid trips on the motorway, and I’m getting 52mpg.

Lighter footed, and I’m sure this will rise.

My previous car was 2.3 Turbo Petrol Volvo, which just about did 28mpg.

Well done!!! I hope to be a able to get mine soon, test driving one today.

eBay is a good source. Like everything it is always buyer beware, and you got to know what you looking for and need to do the checks ie finance/write offsetc

I now have a dilemma, there are two cars I am looking at, both prices agreed pending test driving and checks:

SR trim - £3,900.00 for a 57 reg with 74k mileage

T Spirit trim - £4,200.00 for a 07 reg with 62k mileage

The SR trim has a full toyota service history with same dealer and one owner from new. (7 service stamps)

The T Spirit has only one service stamp from 2007 according to the dealer.

I am inclined to go for the SR though with a higher mileage due to the service history. What do you think? Thanks.

Hi 9jaguy

You don't mention which engine they have?

Assuming they are the same, I would suggest the Service History is worth having for piece of mind.

Plus the SR's do look really nice.

Are you buying private or from a garage?

In that case I would check with the trader about the history of T Spirit, and would you get any warranty.

I would NOT - NEVER - buy a car with one documented service in 70k miles.

It says "run away" very loudly...

The odds on a catastrophic failure are high ... and it's likely to be expensive, Turbos don;'t like dirty oil. Timng chains don't like dirty oil.

A d4d has both turbo and a timing chain... say no more.

It has to be the SR.

OK a few more miles, but cheaper and a full service history with the same dealer.

The T-Spirit is too much of a gamble.

Hi 9jaguy

Did you buy a car?

Yes I did!!! Drove it down to London from Leicester, very good drive. Took it to my garage to check it out yesterday, the only things they found to need some work soon are wear and tear bits like the front disk and pads and the wheel bearing at the back may need changing in a few months.

Apart from that it all looks good. Can't complain about it at all. 74k on the clock, 57 reg with full Toyota service history at £3850.

Thanks for all the advise. Really appreciate it.