Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Rear Headrest Question

Janer

Hi all

Sorry to repeat another question I notice from September BUT I bought a second hand IQ - I'm in Scotland but a family member picked it up for me from a dealer down south. Yep, when I got it I realised the rear head restraints had gone (despite the fact that the ad clearly stated 'rear head restraints'). Checked the storage compartment under the bench seat in the back - nothing.

Found the details of the past owner on the documentation - dropped him a line to ask if they were in the garage - no. Dealership really unhelpful but after pushing the fact it's a safety issue, they've said I can get them and they'll pay. 'within reason'.

Problem is, although I saw some a few weeks ago online, around £175, now I can't see any?

Does anyone know a source? I can't even see a price listing on the Toyota site - am I being a numpty?!

Thanks. Great forum.

Jane.

I can get you a price from toyota with part numbers. Are they plum coloured. If not i will need your reg which you can pm me but i reckon the cost will be too high for toyota to give you the money for.

Question is if the previous owner doesnt have them did they return the vehicle with them in. They have to know what they did with them

David

Thanks for the replies.

Tried eBay but nothing at the mo.

Upholstery is black. When you say too expensive, what are we talking?

Guy who sold to dealer says he's sure they went with the car, the dealership (non-toyota) denies losing them. What a nitemare!

I appreciate the help though. Will ring my local Toyota tomorrow and get a price.

Jane.

Oh sorry i thought the dealer was toyota thats why i suggested to expensive. But they could of supplied them to you at cost to themselves. I know my dealer very well let you know tomorrow

David

It would be cheaper for your dealer to buy them from toyota as they get a 10% discount

David

Ha forgot mine are plum leather because i covered them in plum leather (a leather kit from toyota) Der. Loosing my mind

David

They are part no 071940-74012-B2 and they are wait for it!!! £309.90 EACH!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus Vat. = £371.88!!!!! X 2. = £743.76. Beyond belief !!!!!!!!

My thoughts are the car should not have been sold without them as they seem to be part of the rear shunt protection in association with the curtain airbag

Safety feature

David

Just a thought are all removable head restraints the same fitting? I.E. same diameter shafts and distance apart. Maybe ones from another Toyota model will fit and be a cheaper option, especially if like me 99% of the time the rear seats are kept folded down?

David, yep, got that bombshell today. They're kidding right!!??

Same fitting? Don't know but the guy at Toyota did say they were of special construction to prevent the airbag curtain coming into contact with passengers.

Thanks for going to that bother Dave. Kind of despondant now. I know they won't pay £700+ for them.

Jane.

The important statement you quoted was from a Toyota employee "The guy at Toyota did say they were of special construction to prevent the airbag curtain coming into contact with passengers." Like mentioned in previous post. Not having them at the point of purchase puts your potential passengers in severe danger in a rear collision should the rear curtain deploy producing real head /neck damage. I would put it to the seller that its his obligation to supply them on safety grounds as they were returned with the vehicle when purchased from the previous owner. If he protests and wont move on it , then say the car will be returned as its a safety feature and you are holding him responsible should passengers be carried.

David

• Like 2

Just a thought are all removable head restraints the same fitting? I.E. same diameter shafts and distance apart. Maybe ones from another Toyota model will fit and be a cheaper option, especially if like me 99% of the time the rear seats are kept folded down?

The thing to be wary of is whether the rear head restraints in the IQ are 'active' head restraints which act with and form part of the safety restraint system to prevent whiplash, etc.

I very rarely remove mine. Only to pass things onto the seats or folding the seats down. I kind of see the back as " untidy" with them removed and having to get them out of the tray when picking up someone is something i just couldn't be bothered with. Also to have them flying around in the car gouging everything i also wouldn't want either. As for blocking view, historically i have driven vans so tend to use wing mirrors a lot. Plus i have a rearview camera that i can switch on whilst moving forward or backward to help

David

• Like 2

I can check my Verso ones to see if they physically fit in the morning

David

Thanks for all the responses. Just to update - got a pair from a breaker on eBay - £150 pair. Ridiculous price but when compared to £750 from Toyota, well....

Kicked up enough fuss for dealership to eventually send a cheque.

So moral of story, always carefully check your second hand IQ before buying - search for those headrests!