Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lamp In Ignition Switch

ffej

Hi can someone tell me or put me in the right place HOW to change the bulb on the ignition need to get it working its dark in the mornings 2002 rav4 thanks :flowers:

Are you sure it has one,don't think mine has one fitted

Del

HI Del . yes i do think mine as a lamp ..i can see it on the side of the switch ,but can,t work out how it comes off . it does tell you about it in the owners manual page 112 jeff ....

In 12 years of owning my Rav I wasn't aware of this but as you say it is in the manual. I will be going out when it is dark to check this. It would have been easier if the front courtesy light worked on the door switch (there is a mod for this).

edit: just been out for a look and mine doesn't seem to have this or it is not working. Has yours ever worked to your knowledge? I'm also not sure what you mean by i can see it on the side of the switch?

hi yes it would have been a lot better if the map lamp came on with the others .no mine as never worked ..if you take the cowl off top and bottom you will see it with two small wires on the right up to a white lamp holder in a metal part of the ign/ switch ,but for the life of me just cant see how it comes off........ see if I can put a photo up tomorrow pm jeff ..

Hi ,,here are the photos first two are what i think is the white bulb holder and one of a spare conector which might be the missing lamp holder and ring .....thanks for any info jeff

post-137797-0-11440400-1414168038_thumb.

post-137797-0-71667000-1414168079_thumb.

post-137797-0-01142500-1414168136_thumb.

STOP!!! Don't try to remove this - it's the key unlock switch (operates the alarm that goes off if you don't remove the key when leaving the car). It's difficult to remove and usually breaks if you try to prise it off - the switch bits then fall into the ignition switch and jam it so you can't insert the key!

The lamp for illuminating the lock isn't shown on the parts list for the 4.2 so I guess that if a light actually exists - it's part of the ignition switch or bezel and isn't intended to be replaceable - that's not to say that it can't be replaced.

There isn't a bulb there, the white piece (pic 1&2) you show is the "key in" detector switch and the black piece in pic 3 is the immobiliser signal receiver, if there was a barrel bulb fitted it would be a round illuminated ring that fits around the barrel between the barrel and the steering shroud an example picture is attached. Looking at the Toyota parts catalogue it appears the the illumination ring is only fitted on cars without an immobiliser pick up fitted.

post-45863-0-26587000-1414177383_thumb.j

Hi thanks for that i did have a thought in the back of my mind that it may be something other than the bulb holder .i will have to come up with something else .... thanks again jeff...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links