Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Code Reader

petero

Hi all. I recently had a TRC + VSC light on (no CEL) incident, solved by disconnecting Battery for 15 mins. Reading various threads it made me think that I need a code reader capable of reading Skid Control and Braking ECUs as well as Engine FCs. Any suggestions on the best Code Reader for minimum dosh?- Only want it for my car - 2007 facelift D4D 2.0

Peter

I've used this to diagnose faults and clear the memory. Cheap enough and will cover your vehicle from the description.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221110883391&alt=web

That is only a engine ecu scanner, I doubt it will read air bag and trc and vsc lights and other lights/ecu's

Thanks fellas, I appreciate your time

As Avensisd4d786 says, I am after something that will read the secondary ECUs like the Skid Control (TRC & VSC) and also ABS, Airbag and anything else important on there with an ECU. I guess there is probably one on the !Removed! lighter if I looked for it.

I've seen this:

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/Toyota_iCarsoft_i905_Multi_System_Diagnostic_Tool_SRS_ABS_Engine_etc__189125-z=563729&p=71203.cfm

Are there others that are better/ cheaper/ more suited to what I'm after?

Thanks again

Peter

Don't assume that the TRC/VSC fault light is due to a fault with the TRC/VSC this can be caused by a faulty/dirty egr valve on the diesel engine, when the engine won't respond correctly to instructions from the ecu it goes into limp mode and will put the TRC light on so check the egr valve first.

Pete.

• Like 1

Thanks TSP

I had cleaned the EGR a few weeks ago and car ran better afterwards, I have seen other posts re Engine faults triggering VSC/TRC faults, never quite understood why. I am after a reader that covers everything I might need. Sure as hell something will set a fault on the eve of MOT day and I want to be prepared for it. Incidentally, on initial power up today it took longer for the VSC/TRC lights to go out than the other panel warning lights, so suggests there is still a bit of a problem. When I reconnected the Battery after the original fault I tried to set the steering dead ahead but you can never be sure it is exactly dead ahead. Could that be the problem?

Ta for reply - all very interesting.

Peter

Good find I wonder if it works with the avensis.

I wouldn't mind getting one, when do you find or buy one can you share as I would be interested.

Strange, nobody mentioned the best solution for diagnostic for all Toyotas...on your laptop.

Ask Google for "mini vci for toyota tis techstream" and buy it from eBay. Mini VCi is the diagnostic cable and Techstream is the software which is included in the set (on small CD).

There are topics about this here in the forum as well.

Thanks for that JapCar

That looks like a good buy. Does the Mini VCi fit all cars and I just buy the disc for my Toyota? Also, does it need a lot of tech know-how to find way round menus? Sounds as if it ought to communicate with all functions on car - could I use it for removing that annoying beepy noise when the key is in ignition and door is open for instance?,

Peter

Thanks for that JapCar

That looks like a good buy. Does the Mini VCi fit all cars and I just buy the disc for my Toyota? Also, does it need a lot of tech know-how to find way round menus? Sounds as if it ought to communicate with all functions on car - could I use it for removing that annoying beepy noise when the key is in ignition and door is open for instance?,

Peter

Yes it fits all toyotas. On the disc is software Techstream and drivers for the cable.When install/start it there is place to chose model/year...

Ask again Google for demo (mini vci for toyota tis techstream demo) , you will find a lot of you tube clips. After install it, read the HELP menu first...

There are many versions of Techstream and the difference is that in newer ones are included newer cars. So in newer cars you can change some functions as you mentioned...

Thanks to all replyers

Have just ordered a scan tool, delivery a couple of weeks + from Hong Kong. Will let you know how I get on.

Peter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links