Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

P1693 - Ocv Closed Malfunction

lukea

Just bought a 2002 Toyota Celica T-Sport VVTL-I (190bhp) on Saturday.

On Sunday the Check Engine, VSC, and TRC OFF warning lights came on when overtaking a car on a country lane. Car feels fine to drive. I couldn't do anything about it, so cleared the fault by disconnecting the negative wire from the Battery.

On Tuesday, same happened again, did over 6000 rpm and the 3 lights came on. Again, disconnected the Battery to clear the lights, and ordered an ODB2 reader from Amazon. (D900)

The reader came today, I knew how to replicate the fault, I plugged it in and went for a drive, drove until the engine was warm, and then accelerated to 6000rpm and the 3 lights came on. This was the result from the reader.

P1693 - OCV Closed Malfunction

Load: 88.23%RPM: 6291.32Speed: 100km/hCoolant Temp: 81.0CI.A.T: 22.0C 

Googling the fault I have discovered that either:

- The Filter in the OCV could be clogged with gunk causing the warning, preventing "lift".

- One, or both, of the "Lift Bolts" have snapped. Apparently it is wise to replace these anyway as they were redesigned around 2002.

Anything else I should consider?

I don't want to take the car back to the dealer. I already spent a fortune juggling insurance policies, getting road tax, and buying 4 new tyres. So I'm going to have to fix this myself.

This cleaning guide may help you.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250432

Lift bolts are cheap enough I understand. (my 140 doesn't have "lift" so it's not something I have to worry about..or know much about..lol)

Neil.

Thanks for the response. I stumbled across that thread when trying to identify where the OCV was.

I couldn't get at the "Timing" OCV on the front, the alternator and various other things made it impossible to get any tools to the bolt where the filter lives.

I took the Lift OCV off today, found a !Removed!...

post-144189-0-19539300-1414264826_thumb.

Removed the filter/screen thingy, it was filthy, just full of so much crap nothing could pass through it. I gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush, left it in a glass of engine degreaser whilst I cleaned out the OCV.

Cleaning out the Lift OCV and filter, and doing a service (air filter, oil filter and oil), has resolved the problem.

The engine light does not come on above 6200rpm, and lift kicks in giving a boost of power.

Overtook a car following a truck doing 40mph on a 50mph road. I dropped into 3rd, put my foot down, got up to about 60mph, lift kicked in and went upto 80mph almost instantly.

Lift is addictive.

• 6 years later...

My 2005 Toyota Camry drop the wrist pin outside along all oil in the Engine breaking the top cover of the Engine what would be the solution for this matter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links