Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A 11 Plate Mkii Yaris. What To Look Out For?

rufnek2kx

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help. I've put down a deposit for a Yaris 1.33 dual vvti t-spirit on a 11 plate (23k on the clock) (Similar to this) and I am supposed to be going in to a local used car dealer to pay the balance and collect the car tomorrow. I've never spent so much on a car before and want to make sure that the car is spot on and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what to look out for in particular for this car.

I got the impression that the dealer was reputable, however today I have had a look online and I've noticed a number of people leaving negative reviews after finding issues with their cars that the dealer wouldn't take responsibility for, so I'm beginning to feel a bit apprehensive. Some had been told their car was serviced before being sold but then they found evidence of it not being serviced at all, and just stamped as if it had been done.

I've not seen any paperwork for the car but have been told by the dealer that it has FSH and thus the balance of the manufacturer's 5yr warranty can be transferred. It was first MOTd back in June after the 3 years were up, and taxed until June 2015. They've also said it will be serviced if not already done so within the past 6 months. What is the servicing schedule for the car so that I can verify the servicing history? I was thinking of checking engine oil dipstick for oil quality and air filter for cleanliness as a quick check to prove the service has been done. Anything else I could check?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: To add, I had a look under the bonnet and in the boot for any obvious signs of accident repair and couldn't see any. In the spare wheel cavity though, I noticed the red paint was more faded. Is this how the Yaris is done as I can't remember this being the case in my previous Auris.

Commonly car manufacturers don't finish unseen areas of cars (eg spare wheel well, under the boot carpet, sometimes inside the rear hatch gutters, etc) with top coats of lacquer and so on, to save weight and costs. So it is fairly common for such areas to 'appear' duller than the external panels.

Servicing on Toyotas is every 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever occurs first. So as this car has only done 11,000 miles in just over three years, it should have been serviced on the time basis rather than miles. The service history should show the first service around June 2012 (intermediate service), June 2013 (full service), and June 2014 (intermediate service). Toyota allow a leeway of 1 month/1,000 miles in servicing.

If the service history shows anything other than this ( for example only two services or a service being done later than the 1 month/1,000 miles leeway, it may void the Toyota new car warranty (5 years/100,000 miles).

Also if the servicing has been done outside the Toyota dealer network (ie at an independent, but VAT registered garage), you will need documentation as to what parts were used, what work was done, etc to keep the warranty in force.

Cheers Frosty. How rigid are Toyota about the leeways and non-Toyota garage paperwork? From what I recall, I was told at least one service was from an independent vat registered garage. The car has only done approx 7500 miles a year so I wouldn't expect any major problems that had to be sorted through servicing.

As regards servicing leeway, manufacturers are aware that owners may not get their vehicles serviced exactly on time - which is why you have the leeway. You will probably only be able to test this if you have a problem that you would like fixed under the Toyota warranty. For example, another member recently had a serious problem with their diesel engine in a Yaris and servicing hadn't been carried out according to Toyota's time based service schedule - Toyota replaced the engine under warranty despite the service history.

However, it would be wrong to assume that this may be the case with your intended purchase if you experienced a similar serious problem. Each case would be dealt with on its merits.

As regards the independent garage servicing, ideally to keep the Toyota warranty in force, you will need documentation (eg invoices or similar) to show that, for example, Toyota parts were used and the service schedule was followed.

Commonly, one effect that servicing by an independent garage has, is that any goodwill contribution by the manufacturer in respect of out-of-warranty repairs is usually denied. There have been instances on this forum where members didn't have full Toyota service histories, experienced an out-of-warranty issue with their car, and approached Toyota for a goodwill contribution towards the cost of repairs - which have been refused in some instances purely and simply due to the servicing not being carried out within the Toyota dealer network.

This approach is common amongst other manufacturers, so it isn't just Toyota that do this. Having said that, Toyota does tend to be very supportive of their customers.

Toyota do offer a fixed price servicing scheme that the majority of Toyota dealers offer - see the following for details:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/car-servicing

Also, if you're considering subscribing to a car breakdown service (ie RAC or AA), Toyota's Roadside Assistance scheme (delivered for Toyota by the AA) is good value - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners-info/roadside-assistance

If you have the registration number of the car, you can also use Toyota's recall checker to see whether there are any recalls this car is due for - http://www.toyota.co.uk/owners-info/recall-checker

to check a car before you buy it, do the following:

First thing is DO NOT start the car, tell the dealer not to start the car either, say you want to hear a cold start (this is really important).

Check the oil cap and as much as you can see into the tank. Make sure it is not white/creamy, leave the car then.

Then start the car (engine should be cold), listen out for any tapping, ticking and toking noises.

Then turn the steering wheel off the car to the right, as far as you can. Check the CV boots which are on the inner bits of the tires, which connect the wheels with the axles. Look out for any cracks in the rubber and most importantly look in that area and on the inner wheels (alloys or whatever) for any grease. Listen out for any clonks or clicks as you turn the steering wheel fully, this could mean that there is a problem with the axle.

Get into the car and push the brake pedal with as much force as you can. How far does the pedal its self go? Does it touch the floor? It nearly JUST about to touch the floor? Or does it just go half way or less? If it touches the floor or is anywhere close it it, the brakes need changing and bleeding, I'd personally leave the car. Make sure you dont start to press the brake pedal repeatedly as it will tighten the brakes and you cannot do this test. Just push it down once with force.

Check the coolant, make sure it has 1 colour, pink or white, no oil should be inside. While your under the bonnet, look for any oil leaks, or any wet areas.

By now, car should warm up and slide under the car, looking for any leaks (make sure the A/C is turned off), any leaks and i would defiantly leave the car no matter what!

Ask someone to rev the car till about 5k RPM and look yourself at the exhaust for any black smoke or alot of white smoke (there probably will be some white smoke, but shouldent be excessive, also make sure the cars engine is warm before you do this).

Look out for any puffs of white or any colour smoke from the car at IDLE, head gasket could be on its way out.

Get into the car, test the electrics, heating and A/C if they work (you'll be surprised to how many cars heating which dont work).

Finally, have a test drive, how is the gear box? Does it pick up good and are the brakes strong. Listen out for any odd noises coming from the engine or any other part of the car. A 2011 car should be good anyway, wouldn't worry too much really. You should just hear 1 solid sound from a 2011 car, if not leave the car. I brought a 2011 Auris and i dident even look at it or hear the engine sound. I literally just saw the car and brought it (i brought on auction) and that had 29k miles. Toyotas are really reliable and most of the tests i gave you wouldent need to do. But the thing about the service history really does bug me, investigate that more and call up Toyota and ask them for ALL the work which has been carried out on the vehicle and ask if it is still in warranty.

Good luck!

Thanks for that TA. I took it for a test drive and it drove as smooth as silk. No knocks from a cold start at all and no noises from the axles/hubs either on the drive.

The dealer was saying this version did not have stop/start tech, however there was a functional Eco Off button by the side of the handbrake and a quick skim read of the manual suggested this was linked to the stop/start function. Does this have stop/start?

Hi,

I thought that model/version/year did have Stop/Start technology. When I bought our Mk3 Yaris it was a point made by the salesman that Toyota had stopped including it due to cost.

Others on here are more knowledgeable than I so don't just take my word on it.

John

Regarding the servicing... To keep up the original manufacturer's warranty you can have the car serviced at any vat registered garage but the onus is on you to prove that it was done at Toyota's intervals and to their standards. So in theory you need receipts etc to prove exactly what was done and when. However I believe they will accept a stamp from another main dealer sooner than a stamp from your local garage. If you can't prove service history to their satisfaction I believe it gives them a "get out of jail card" to refuse warranty work.

Toyota also extend the warranty on some things (for example there is a 7 year warranty on an oil burning issue on some cars) but I believe they only honour these if you have Toyota history from new.

So you need to weigh up whether having Toyota stamps in the book will matter to you in the long run or not.

Thanks for that TA. I took it for a test drive and it drove as smooth as silk. No knocks from a cold start at all and no noises from the axles/hubs either on the drive.

The dealer was saying this version did not have stop/start tech, however there was a functional Eco Off button by the side of the handbrake and a quick skim read of the manual suggested this was linked to the stop/start function. Does this have stop/start?

Hi,

I thought that model/version/year did have Stop/Start technology. When I bought our Mk3 Yaris it was a point made by the salesman that Toyota had stopped including it due to cost.

Others on here are more knowledgeable than I so don't just take my word on it.

John

The 1.33 engine was introduced in February 2009 and included the Stop/Start system on the 6 speed manual transmission models. Toyota's Optimal Drive enhancements were also applied across the Yaris range from this date.

When Toyota introduced the Mk 3 Yaris in 2011, they dropped the Stop/Start system from the Yaris citing cost reasons.

I have a 2011, 1.3 vvti-sr for sale, it's mint ! take a look on the 'For Sale' post, it still has 2 years original Toyota warranty left and only 6k on the clock ! :) You can't blame me for trying lol.

Looks like first two services were done at each anniversary (7k and 15k) by Toyota. Third service (due June 2014) was missing and has been done today by the non-Toyota dealer's own garage. I asked for paperwork and the salesperson said this should be included tomorrow when I pick the car up. It looks, feels and sounds absolutely fine when started up (albeit engine was already lukewarm when I tried it at the garage today, but it had a cold start over the weekend when I saw it and it was fine then too). I probably take it to Toyota for the next few services until the warranty expires and see how it goes from there. Thanks all for your advice.

If it was due a service in June and didn't get serviced til October your warranty will probably be void. I believe you get one month or 1000 miles leeway.

Took the risk and bought the car. Tbh I've not seen many people having problems with the 1.33 Dual vvti engines. The car has plenty of gadgets and gizmos to keep me happy and the servicing whilst it may have missed a few months seem spot on too (June 2012 - Toyota, Oct 2013 - Toyota, Oct 2014 - Dealer with relevant support). iA there will not be a need to use the warranty.