Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heater Blowing Cold Air!

geoweb2k14

I can also confirm that this did the trick. I checked the cooling level and it was on low. I filled it up to the B level on the tank and did what is decribed on the sticker on the bonnet (run until warm, undo the venting hole on top of tank, run 45 seconds on idle and 5 seconds with 3300 rpm then 45 seconds idle (repeat for 7 minutes). Now it blow's hot air again. I do about 2000km per month and i notice that the car uses quite alot of cooling fluid (i use the powerheater too). So once per 2000km i have to fill up the cooling fluid.

• 1 month later...

Right lads here is my update!! A toyota mechanic asked me what work I had done to the car just before the heating went. I told him I had taken off the egr and cleaned it plus cleaned throttle body. I told him I had lost a quantity of coolant from both areas, cleaned them and once they were back on I topped up the coolant. "OK he said you have a stubborn air lock". He took the car as possible off the coolant bottle, topped it up to the top with water, Started the car and kept the revs up to 3000 and turned the heater on full. When the fan cut in to cool down the engine he released the accelerator and put the cap back on the bottle. Hey presto! air lock gone and heating working better than ever.. Hope this helps someone.....

That should have read " he took the cap off the coolant bottle"... He took the cap off, topped the coolant bottle(bottle in original position) up to the top with pure water and LEFT the cap off, Started the car and had me rev it up to 3000 revs until he told me to ease off( when the fan cut in). He had turned the heater up to its hottest and blower also on full power. I had heat within 2-3 minutes. He said although the coolant looked full, the coolant system wasn't as it was a big air lock that made me think it was. It's working fine now as I've just driven to shop and I'm feeling heat as soon as the engine starts to heat up. He didn't jack up the car either or take the bleed screw. No displacement of coolant with cap off either. Hope this is clearer.
I can also confirm that this did the trick. I checked the cooling level and it was on low. I filled it up to the B level on the tank and did what is decribed on the sticker on the bonnet (run until warm, undo the venting hole on top of tank, run 45 seconds on idle and 5 seconds with 3300 rpm then 45 seconds idle (repeat for 7 minutes). Now it blow's hot air again. I do about 2000km per month and i notice that the car uses quite alot of cooling fluid (i use the powerheater too). So once per 2000km i have to fill up the cooling fluid.
Did you guys keep your foot on the accelerator until the fans kicked in, or did you rev then idle then rev.
and which cap did you remove there are two on my coolant Bootle, there is the round one with the yellow warning sticker and there is the air bleed cap which is more like a grommet.
and does anyone what degrees does the fan kicks in?
I have climate control in my car so am I right putting it to 'HIGH' and on full fan blow out speed.

Did you guys keep your foot on the accelerator until the fans kicked in, or did you rev then idle then rev.

Just keep your foot on the accelerator at about 2000 rpm until the fans kick in yes...

and which cap did you remove there are two on my coolant Bootle, there is the round one with the yellow warning sticker and there is the air bleed cap which is more like a grommet.

Just keep squeezing the top hose as the car heats and also turn the ROUND cap to release some pressure whilst your doing this,be careful not to scold yourself so maybe have a rag handy

and does anyone what degrees does the fan kicks in?

I think the fans kick in around 92 to 95 degrees although not entirely sure

I have climate control in my car so am I right putting it to 'HIGH' and on full fan blow out speed.

Yes Climate set to high and on full heat setting ,leave the blower off, as this will dissipate heat and you want the system to heat rapidly to expel any trapped air..good luck with it :D

• Like 1

Thank you Ex Vec.

Just keep squeezing the top hose as the car heats and also turn the ROUND cap to release some pressure whilst your doing this,be careful not to scold yourself so maybe have a rag handy

sorry to ask again, Do I leave the round cap(circled in yellow) off whilst doing this or the one circled in red. there must be one I keep open as this is where the trapped air will hopefully escape.

post-125194-0-88537400-1426544497_thumb.

there is a water valve incorporated in the system too that allows flow of hot coolant into the heater core when the heater is turned on.. i don't know about avensis but in most pre 09 Toyotas the valve is actuated mechanically by a cable

• Like 1

Thank you Ex Vec.

sorry to ask again, Do I leave the round cap(circled in yellow) off whilst doing this or the one circled in red. there must be one I keep open as this is where the trapped air will hopefully escape.

Leave both caps closed until you've built the car up to temperature,because what your aiming to do is build up pressure within the system and in doing so this pressure will eventually disperse the air lock and bobs your uncle happy days,but to help it along just occasionally squeeze the top hose,and remove the yellow cap quite slowly and you will hear the air start to escape then close it again to build the pressure again, if it looks to be boiling undo the red cap,but just to add watch the heat as in burning yourself,always works this well never failed me anyway...Just keep your eye on the coolant level as well cus you may well need to top it up.

• Like 1