Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Incorrect Mileage!

ToyotaAuris

Hi, Ive been sold a car with some mileage problems which I think is a admin problem. So currently the cars at 111k miles. On my MOT it shows the last 4 MOT'S and it goes like this:

15/01/14 : 108,377

5/01/13 : 103,678

12/01/12:: 47,708

01/01/11: 88,582

So as you can see the cars mileage has gone backwards to 47k but after that its jumped to 103k. I think its a admin issue. The car was MOT'D by Halfords then too.... I checked GOV website for previous MOT's and it shows all good, the car did average 10k miles per year. I can see from that website the following, 51k miles MOT, 66k miles MOT, 72k Miles MOT, 88k miles MOT and then 47k miles, then 103k miles, then 108k miles.

The car was auctioned off to me with WARRANTED miles with full service history too. Ii will call them tomorrow and that Halfords and then DVLA. Im not sure what to do now... Is it clocked (i doubt it as the mileages carry on as usual) or is it a admin issue? Do you think I will have a chance for it to be changed or not? I have papers for 3-4 previous MOT's including the MOT from Halfords with the 47k miles.

Thanks.

Dont think so, because the mileage goes back to what it should be the next year which is 103k. The mileage on the MOT should be somewhere in the 90K mile reagon. So ive doubled checked all previous MOT's and everything. It all looks legit and correct, im 99.9% sure its a admin issue. Can anyone fill me in with any more info please and thanks!

Extract from 'Your MOT certificate and odometer history' -

"If you find a mistake in the mileage reading recorded for the current test, the MOT garage that conducted the test will be able to correct the error within seven days of the test and issue a replacement certificate.

Please note that if there is an error in one or more of the previous mileage readings then this cannot be changed."

Well I have all previous MOT's and all looks good along with full service history which shows a service at 99k. Was sold with Warranted mileage too. Will call up Halfords and Auction tomorrow for their verdict.

It is down to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (formerly VOSA) to state whether odometer readings on previous MOT's can be changed - and their publication copied above says that odometer readings on previous MOT certificates cannot be changed.

So the verdicts of Halfords and the Auction are irrevelant.

I think that you will find that it was 97,708 & someone has misread the 9 as a 4.

• Like 2

I think that you will find that it was 97,708 & someone has misread the 9 as a 4.

Absolutley agreed because it has a service done at the end of the month 31.1.14 at 99k miles!! Plus the previous owner did motorway miles so from 97-99k i think is correct. All other info regarding the car is correct, its shocked me that especially because im selling the car the value will be down!!

Also want to add, if someone was to clock the car to 40k, why would the next MOT be 103k miles? It should of been 50k for example.

I don't know how, but I would suspect and agree with Heidfirst that someone has entered a 4 instead of a 9?

If the speedo unit had been changed, 56000+ is one heck of a lot of miles to cover in year.

Yes correct, just had a confirmation that there has been a input error. I also have service history in May 2012 (in Jan the introspect mileage) at 99k miles to back it up.

I agree that the odometer reading was inputted wrong.

Here is a scenario. One tester writes the odometer reading down and passes it to his colleague who inputs what has been written down, because of the first guys hand writing. Or the tester could not read his own handwriting! Sounds stupid.

4 and 9 can look similar depending on the handwriting style of the individual.

I played around a bit writing 4s and 9s, and came up with the following:

post-76861-0-86434700-1414590541_thumb.j

Now this is irrelevant as every other MOT is correct.

I would not worry too much.

The MOT system should block/query any input that is lower than the previous mileage, forcing the tester to recheck the odometer. If there is a reason, it needs to be documented along with the reading. Since it is down to the owner, some owners don't check these things at all. Only the act passing the MOT matters.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links