Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Playing Usb Files

bathtub tom

I'm playing with my Yaris and have recorded some BBC iplayer podcasts onto a USB.

It won't play them back. All I get is the message: "Checking USB device, please wait".

The car's seeing the USB stick, as I can select it as an option.

I can play the podcasts on the USB on my PC.

The owner's handbook gives no enlightenment.

The files are MP3 format. The stick's 1GB capacity.

Am I missing something obvious?

Aren't the podcasts DRM protected? I think that may be the issue.

Are you having the same trouble with standard MP3 files?

You're talking to a dinosaur here.

I've googled DRM protected. If they were, why would I be able to play them from the USB stick on my PC?

Haven't tried with 'standard' MP3 files, don't know what they are. My previous car had a cassette player. So much simpler to record radio stuff onto my PVR and then transfer it to cassette!

DRM (digital rights management) protection basically prevents files being shared. So I would imagine that you can play the podcasts on your usb drive using your PC as you would have downloaded them originally on that piece of equipment. The DRM protection may prevent the podcasts being shared - for example played on other equipment such as a car stereo

music mp3's may not be DRM protected.

Bring back the in-car record players (but avoid potholes or the needle will jump) -

record1.jpg

7974591462_2649f5f302.jpg

This is going a bit off topic but am I the only person to think Toyota could have picked a better place than in the glove box for the USB socket in my Icon Hybrid? I end up with a trailing lead in my car as its to much bother to reconnect it every time I wish to play music from my phone.

The USB and Aux sockets on my Auris are in the upper glovebox. When I use my Samsung Galaxy S Android player, I can leave it connected and hidden from view when I leave the car, rather than unplugging it and carting it around with me.

This is going a bit off topic but am I the only person to think Toyota could have picked a better place than in the glove box for the USB socket in my Icon Hybrid? I end up with a trailing lead in my car as its to much bother to reconnect it every time I wish to play music from my phone.

Play the music via bluetooth instead??

You're talking to a dinosaur here.

I've googled DRM protected. If they were, why would I be able to play them from the USB stick on my PC?

Haven't tried with 'standard' MP3 files, don't know what they are. My previous car had a cassette player. So much simpler to record radio stuff onto my PVR and then transfer it to cassette!

DRM is basically copyright protection. When you play them on your computer, you may notice the media player you use downloads a licence from the BBC in order to play the file (this may be disclosed in the status bar of the media player you use). The head unit in the car however can't download this and thus the file wont play.

By 'Standard MP3' files I was referring to any MP3 files that don't have DRM. If you go to this website, you can download a few mp3s (right click where it says "hi (688 KB)" and then 'Save Target/Link As' and save them to your USB. If these work in your car, then the DRM is what is causing the issue with the podcasts.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links