Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Item Questions..

aaron_auris_sr180

hello.

looking to do a couple service items soon but have some questions hopefully someone can help me with.

brake fluid: how much would i need to buy? would a couple liters be enough or would i need more for this car?

gearbox oil change: i'm led to believe the gearbox drain plug and washer are the same as the sump plug and washer? is that correct?

fuel filter: could anyone please give me the genuine toyota part no. for this item?

its a 2009 Auris SR180 2.2d

many thanks

Aaron.

Do you actually need to do the gearbox oil? From what I have read + heard you never need to change it unless there is something specifically wrong, or am I wrong?

according to autodata it says manual transmission oil should be "checked and topped up" every 40000 miles. there doesnt appear to be a schedule for completely draining and renewing gearbox oil.

i want to change as it feels a bit notchy sometimes. my old renaultsport had notchy gearbox so i put some redline mtl full syn in there and it was silky smooth afterwards.

O ok, mine has been feeling notchy since I got it. Maybe I should check it...

that gearbox is baulky/notchy in every car. a change to a better oil may improve it some but it won't go away.

I'm just not used to it maybe. My old Nissan was fine (apart from slipping out of reverse occasionally) I have noticed a lot of whining when changing gear. I'll try the oil then.

Does the whining only happen when the wife's in the car? just askin' like.

I checked the gearbox on my last Auris with the two front wheels up on ramps. I thought it was seriously low on oil, couldn't feel anything with the pinky-in-the-hole method. Then I got it checked with the car raised on a four poster ramp and hey presto the oil level was OK. Maybe a point to bear in mind if anyone's checking or changing their gearbox oil at home.

Glad to hear you're doing the service yourself Aaron, the main dealers prices for servicing are extortionate considering all that's involved.

Re the brake fluid I used about one and a half litres of DOT 4 to do mine. Bigger question is How are you going to change the fluid in your ABS sytem?

I asked a Toyo "technician" at my local main dealers how they did it and he told me they used a power bleeder. So I asked him if they did it with the engine running and he said "No". So I asked him if they at least had the ignition switched on and again he said "No". So I said with the ignition switched off the ABS system is inactive ie the pintle valves are closed so how can you be changing the fluid? He suddenly found he had to be somewhere else.

I believe they should do it by activating the ABS module through the diagnostics equipment and there should be a strict procedure to follow but this guy obviously knew nothing about that. For my part I bled my brakes completely to initially change the fluid in the system then used the ABS on wet and gravel roads several times and then re-bled the whole system. Not the best I know but then I don't have any sophisty equipment.

My 2011 Auris has whine in gear 1 when it goes 1.5k RPM + and in gear 4, gear 4 its really faint. it has only 35k miles. Problem or normal?

1. I dont have a wife ;). 2. My whine is as the gear is being engaged, I could say its the synchromesh engaging, but as i have never heard it before I dont know.

It shouldn't really be making significant whining in any gear, so I'd suggest there's a bit of wear showing & it could well be worth changing the gearbox oil. I had the Toyota garage do it while going through a service & used a straight 75W oil as per advice by many on here. I still have to change into 2nd slowly from cold to avoid a slight crunching, but I put that down to possible misuse by the 1st owner. Otherwise it works fine with no whining or other noises.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links