Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis D4D 2005 Black Smoke!

Kay786

Hi I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My avensis is serviced every 7k miles. Oil + filter then each third service oil + filter, air filter, fuel filter. When the cars cold in a morning it's fine but as soon as it warms up I get a puff off black smoke when setting off in low gears and at low rpm. Had two seperate garages check it out but no joy. Used to get the P0093 error code on dash but now I'm also getting the P1251, Step Motor for Turbocharger Control Circuit Intermittent code. Mechanic had a look for fuel leaks but nothing. Asked him if it could be one of the injectors but he insisted if it was an injector the engine would ***** as if misfiring. The car had a new EGR fitted around 5k miles ago so likely not that. Anyone had the same problem?

Topic moved to the Avensis club

sounds similar to a problem I have on my 407 1.6hdi whereby once warm a couple of injectors were not sealed correctly and the ecu was using the other two to adjust for it... see if you can hear an air like noise near the injectors or have carbon build up around the base of injectors...

hth

John

Thankyou john for your swift reply. I'm going to check what you said as soon as I finish work. Did you get to the bottom of your problem and what did you do.

Thankyou john for your swift reply. I'm going to check what you said as soon as I finish work. Did you get to the bottom of your problem and what did you do.

found it was injector seals that had gone... and black crud from injector was causing the injector to not seat properly - many hours of cleaning and putting back with new seals fixed it - + a bonus got more ommph.... had this done then gearbox went,,,, hence why I have a toyota!!!!

cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with my 2.2 d4d

black smoke when coming out of turnings ..accelerating from slow speed etc

Tried every available injector cleaner on the market cheap and expensive but still ended up with the same result ...black smoke .. even changed the EGR valve ...same outcome

Then by mistake one day whilst not really taking notice of what I was doing i started filling the diesel tank of my Avensis with unleaded petrol

After putting nearly 8lts of petrol in the tank I realised my mistake and topped the tank with diesel

Luckily enough the car carried on running albeit sometimes it was a pig to start

I kept regularly topping the diesel up at until I thought the petrol had gone

I have since then changed the fuel filter

And surprise surprise the black smoke has now gone which I think would indicate that perhaps I had a sticky injector.. That was over 12months ago and the car today runs like a dream even with 122000mls on the clock and most recently achieved 63mls to the gallon on a run from northwales back to Liverpool

But please don't think that I'am advocating putting petrol in your diesel...

The choice is yours ... maybe no more than a gallon to a full tank of diesel if you desire ...its an old trick cabbies did in years gone by and maybe I was just very lucky it cured my smoky problem

Adding two stroke oil to the Diesel will have the same effect,hence why i use it on a regular basis.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links