Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'mini Chewbacca' In There Somewhere

Loobs

Hi there,

I have this sort of squeal but more like a low level Chewbacca noise. It occurs at low speed, I'm thinking its a turbo spin up and may be a bearing but I'm no expert.

Scenario is, low speed take off or low revs, say 20mph in 4th gear, as I accelerate slowly, I get this sound. It has been there since I got the car in April and as the flywheel was giving up, I had hoped it was in the clutch or flywheel but they have now been replaced and this little squeal is getting worse. Or maybe I'm more aware of it. Yesterday, I had to do a quick take off from a petrol station out into a one way system, I had to then stop at the exit of the one way system from about 20mph and I got a long squeal then.

The car does suffer from the occasional lack of boost and subsequent EML light up til I stop/start.

Any ideas welcome.

A squeal on pressing the throttle can sometimes be caused by a loose or worn drive belt

It's definitely not a belt squeal. They have all been replaced and checked recently. It's a different sound. I can't make it happen when it's sat idling and rev it, it needs to be under load. Going round a roundabout at low sore provokes it but it does it in a straight line too.

Reluctant to look at turbo swap due to the expense but I may have to.

Hi there,

Go on to youtube and type in "Toyota rav4 d4d fuel filter phenomenon howling noise" (I cant seem to put a link up maybe someone else could have a go}.

If it is the same as this don't worry too much about it as mines been doing it for the last six years.

regards colin

p.s you will also find the modified part number to cure the problem here as well.

Happy to help,

Such a hard noise to describe but your "Mini Chewbacca" had me convinced this was the problem I couldn't have thought of a better description.

regards colin

Loobs.....before you go to the expense of changing the filter head with the modified part try a new fuel filter. Mine used to do it a lot and a new filter almost cured it....almost in that it might occur once every journey afterwards. Also I recall from somewhere that there was more than one modification to the filter head ie it was revised then revised again so if you do go down that route make sure you get the "final" version. Might be worth researching?

Cheers.

I changed the fuel filter when I got it as part of my first service on it. The filter on there was totally black inside and needed a massive effort to get it off the mounting, which I had to remove from the car to do.

Parts-King tells me that the part no now ends in a 2 and not the 1 as the thread on YouTube says. Not a cheap item that's for sure.