Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica 95 Tuning

Darkaragon

Hello everyone,

I recently bought my second '95 ST202 2.0l and she is in a really good condition. No rust, engine has been looked after extremely by the previous owner.

I am looking into upgrading the performance, although it is already good for her age.

Upgraded cams and pullies are coming next week. So far all I have done, replaced the standart air filter with a Pipercross, lowered her by 35mm and removed the back seats (racing harness).

Now my question to this community: What else would you do or can you suggest to increase the overall performance? Is adding a turbo kit really worth it?

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Turbo kit probably depends on what kind of driving you want to do with it

Rallying around the country roads might be more fun in a turbo, but if you use it mainly for long-haul trips like rush-hour commuting, regular trips to the coast, etc, a V6 mod might be better

If you decide to turbo then why not consider a GT4 ? - Same engine block, just got to find one which hasn't been thrashed !

I'm using a '91 Camry 3VZ-FE 3.0l 24V V6 in my '96 ST202 ( along with the GT4 bonnet ( + bumper ) in order for it to fit )

The standard 2.0l was fun, providing I could keep the engine spinning around 5 000 to 7 000 rpm but REALLY had to be in the right gears

The V6 has much more torque way down in the revs meaning far fewer gear changes on the winding roads and through rush-hour traffic with a nice throaty growl under moderate load

The 5th gear from a Corolla diesel lets you eat up the motorway miles - Plenty of twisting power ( 2 700 rpm at 70 mph )

Maximum torque anywhere between 2 000 and 4 000 rpm, max power at 5 600 rpm ( not that I've ever needed more than 4 000 since the conversion )

I suppose it really depends on costs

V6 mod ~ £4.5k which was the all-in price for someone else to do the work

A decent GT4 ~ £3k

FYI - Your insurance premium ( if you decide to tell them ) is worked out on BHP:

ST202 ( 3S-GE ) - 173 BHP

ST202 ( 3VZ-FE ) - 189 BHP ( + 16 )

ST205 ( 3S-GTE ) - 250 BHP ( + 77, with the same torque as the V6 )

Have you got proper racing seats to go with those harnesses?

I'm having a little trouble finding seats that fit

The seats I do find seem to make me sit too high in the Celica

I'm thinking it's something to do with the runners as they drop down toward the back

Hello C_Hmingway,

Thank you for your reply. I got the harnesses for the seats. 4 point only and ankered them not center but in a straight line. I chose actual reclining bucket seats an they fit nicely on the rails. For me the hight is just good.

GT4? Don't have the finances for that. Use of the car? a bit of both... Long hauls as I would drive home several times a year (Belgium) and comuting to work (nice bendy roads with no traffic).