Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aftermarket Double Din On Standard Iq

machineage

Hi all

I'm new here - no iQ yet but considering one and have a question I hope you can help me with :huh:

Does anyone know if it is possible to install any aftermarket double din audio / sat nav / camera unit on a car which has the standard audio unit? Is there any integration with the car's systems / electronics that need to be considered - or parts of the wiring loom that may not be present on a car that never had a double din / sat nav unit installed?

I see people use the Metra Axxess for the steering wheel controls.

I see also all of the Scion iQ in the USA have double din units - and people have sourced the dash mouldings / brackets from a scrapper over there to save the costs of buying new here (UK).

Would love to be able to integrate forward / reverse cameras too :D

Thanks!

Hi

A few things. The satnav supplied by Toyota is double Din but is not mounted to the "pod" cover, its mounted via custom brackets to the chassis. ( they are available separately) they are not the same shape that comes with the standard radio. The satnav "pod " cover is in 4 parts screwed together and is mega bucks from Toyota. The iQ with satnav are quite rare to be found in a breakers and my guess they would want to sell it complete with the satnav. The original iQ rear camera is a 6v not 12v device and is fed directly from the Tns510 or Tns350. It is controlled by a 3 wire cable and plug which is connected to the multi connector strips under the foot kick panels either side of the footwells. And a contact point under the cover near the gear switch. This cable supplies an inhibit function to the ECU to inhibit video use whilst the car is moving, also supplies a 12v feed to the satnav unit when reverse is selected. All this information is available on the Tns510 installation sheets. I think all other connections are standard Din

David

The "pod" also houses the seatbelt/airbag display which you will have to get with the "pod". If you are thinking an after market sat nav /bluetooth then it will come with its own mic. So only integration to the powered antenna ( not normal plug) and Speakers, and power with memory back up. Is required. To fit a normal 12v camera to the toyota tns510/350 you simply power the camera from an auxiliary 12v acc and put the video signal lead to the red wire and the screen to either of the black leads associated with the video input shown on installing a camera on a Tns510 in the installation sheets. You could have forward and reverse camera's and switch between them with a push button video switch as i have in my iQ

David

Hi David

That's great information - thanks!

If I were going to do it I would source the pod / brackets / seatbag display from a scrapper in the US. Not sure if I'm correct here - but I was under the assumption the majority of Scion iQ's in the US have this pod assembly for their double Din units. I am not sure though if they would be an identical fit to the UK supplied parts - and the colours may be different too?

I see there is also the multifunction display to the left of the speedo which shows information from the radio etc - I guess this would not be integrated in any way?

I'll seek out the Tns510 installation manual.

With the display to the left of the speedo it gets populated with station info and is your control for presets etc. Data is sent there via the ECU from the standard radio CD player as there are no controls on the radio other than CD eject button. When you change it for a Tns 510/350 the no data is sent to that screen as its all on the satnav unit and it reverts to a normal display clock, odo,time, fuel etc. i think the pod is the same on a Scion. If you need instructions to remove the old radio CD post here. You only need a 10mm long socket for most things on the car.

Here is the link to all the installation documents. Just choose the model on the left and the installation group lower down. Choose navigation and also reversing camera. Note its not "back up camera " in the UK as back up means to make a back up "copy of something usually data" and not to go backwards. Unless someone is behind you and waving their hands motioning you to "back up". End of english coversion. Ha ha

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx

David

Just remembered. There is a timing issue with installing 12v camera's The sequence to view a camera is as follows. When reverse gear is selected a control function is sent to the ECU which in turn puts a 12v supply to the tns510/350 to switch it to A/V mode waiting for a video signal. If it doesn't receive a video signal in a very short space of time the screen switches back to whatever it was on before reverse gear was selected. e.g map. Some times if you think its a good idea to power the camera with 12v off the reversing lamp then think again because when you select reverse the ECU switches on the lamp ( slow start) so 12v isn't there instantly and the camera (depending on manufacturer) doesn't output video instantly causing it to miss the "window" the tns510/350 needs to keep the A/V input open. Its easily remedied by keeping the camera on all the time the ignition is on so a suitable point to power the camera up is the connection behind the cigarette lighter socket which is ACC powered. You may think " but its on all the time" well so are security camera's its not a problem. Mine is the same and its been running fine for 3 1/2 years. The reason the Toyota original camera works with no problem is that it is 6v powered from the white wire instantly you select reverse. You could if your electronically competent to fit a 6-12v DC to DC converter. ( not tried that).

David

Hi David

That's great info thanks!

So essentially the Double Din unit is pretty much autonomous as I see it. I have noted your comments re: the camera - there are readily available 6 / 12v DC to DC converters.

I'll take a look now at the documents :-)

If you manage to find a 6v camera then you can power it from the white wire out of the group of 4 wires for video input. 2x black chassis. 1x red video input and 1x white 6v supply to original camera

If you are going down the DC-DC converter. Make sure you get one with high enough current. Most are quite low

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links