Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Window Heater/demister

TranceTrousers

Now the colder weather is here I've recently discovered that the heated rear window on my 57 plate Aygo Black isn't working properly. Only two of the elements seem to be working properly, one at the top of the window and another near the centre. I've checked and none of the other tracks appear to be damaged or broken, and the connections to the window itself seem OK. Any ideas what's going on?!

Look closely, it has to be the tracks since the terminal and the two tracks are working in your car. I have a track that is not working and looking closely I see that a small piece of the element is missing, when looking from the inside of the car. This missing bit can not be seen from the out side of the car.

You can buy stuff to repair the breaks/gaps (once you find them). It comes in a bottle like nail polish and you paint it over the gap.

Thanks for your replies. I've had a good look at my rear window and if I look very VERY closely from the inside I can see small areas that appear to be breaks in the tracks. I've just bought some conducting silver paint from Maplins, and when I get a chance I'll give it a go and report back.

• 4 weeks later...

Well that wasn't overly successful. I had quite a few tracks to repair as only about 2 or 3 were working originally. I would say that about half of those I attempted to repair are now working. It's still not great though. Any ideas how much this would cost to get repaired or replaced professionally?

Did you apply masking tape above and below the track to be painted and then apply a few layers/coats on the track before testing? One layer won't do.

go and buy a secondhand rear window and inspect the tracks carefully as its only a handfull of fixings to undo to swap them over

Did you apply masking tape above and below the track to be painted and then apply a few layers/coats on the track before testing? One layer won't do.

Yes I did. Everything was masked correctly and I applied at least three coats.

go and buy a secondhand rear window and inspect the tracks carefully as its only a handfull of fixings to undo to swap them over

That sounds like a good idea. Is it really that simple to swap the window out?

1. Open the tailgate. You may wish to remove the wiper motor as well if you are swapping glass.

2. Remove wiring connector (single connector), top left (as you look at it).

3. Undo the strut retaining clip (think screwdriver in the slot at the top of the strut - the strut can then be released.

4. Bolts holding the hinges in place are under the covers - obviously get your friend to hold it at the same time

taken from another website

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a long time since I last posted, but I've finally managed to find a replacement tailgate for my 57 plate Aygo Black!

Now, I thought all Mk.1 Aygo tailgates were interchangeable, but I've just noticed that the replacement tailgate I bought (from a 2012 Aygo Ice) has a slightly different arrangement of the demister tracks than the ones on my Aygo, as you can see in the following photos.

My Aygo's tailgate.

20160604_195651.jpg

Replacement tailgate:-

20160604_195605.jpg

Also on my Aygo, as well as the main wiring connection to the tailgate on the left by the strut, there is another cable and connection on the right, which the replacement tailgate doesn't have at all:-

20160604_195728.jpg

If I fit the replacement tailgate and just fit the main connector by the strut will everything work properly i.e. demister and wiper? And if so, what is the other connection on the right hand side for and what do I do with it?! Or have I bought a tailgate that I just can't use on my Aygo?!

Nope it won't i'm afraid, in Nov 2011 Toyota redesigned the rear window as you have noticed as part of this the old window type was deleted and is no longer available if you have a pre Nov 2011 car and order a new tailgate you get a kit of parts to make it fit. As you have the glass already you will need the following to make it work:

82184-0H011 harness

62475-0H010 Pad

82817-0H020 Guide

82817-0H010 Guide

Thank you for that information Devon Aygo, it explains a lot! I will contact my local Toyota dealer and enquire as to how much these parts will cost. Do you know if the harness is simple to fit or not? The tailgate only cost me £50, so I suppose the extra expense will be worth it if I can have a working rear demister. Thanks again :smile:

I'm confused now. I've spoken to my local Toyota dealer and they are going to order the parts that Devon Aygo listed previously. However, out of curiosity I have just been outside to see if the demister on the tailgate works or not (I already know that the wiper motor does) by spraying a fine mist of water on it, and it does! Or at least most of it does. A couple of the tracks appear to not be working, but I don't know if that's because they are physically damaged (I can't see any breaks, but I haven't looked REALLY closely at them) or if it's because I haven't fitted this new harness that I was told I needed. I'm supposed to collect the new parts on Wednesday, but I'd rather not spend another £50 or so if I don't have to. Help!

• 3 years later...

I know it’s been over three years, but did you get this sorted without the harness?  I’m in a similar position but haven’t actually fitted the tailgate yet so can’t test it

• 3 years later...

May I aska related quesrion regarding rear window demister. 

I've just bought a 2007 Aygo which has clearly not been looked after and one thing I notoced was a non working demister. When you push the button, the small beacon lights but the wondow does not work.  If it is a fuse, would I be right in thinking the beacon on the switch would fail to light?

If that's correct, then what should I look for next? 

Thanks Keith

3 hours ago, Whitesocks57 said:

May I aska related quesrion regarding rear window demister. 

I've just bought a 2007 Aygo which has clearly not been looked after and one thing I notoced was a non working demister. When you push the button, the small beacon lights but the wondow does not work.  If it is a fuse, would I be right in thinking the beacon on the switch would fail to light?

If that's correct, then what should I look for next? 

Thanks Keith

Yes, you are correct. If the indicator light on the rear window demister switch is lighting up when pressed, it suggests that the fuse related to the demister is likely not the issue. The next step to troubleshoot the non-working rear window demister would be to check the wiring and the demister grid on the rear window itself for any visible damage or breaks. If the wiring and grid appear to be in good condition, then it might be a problem with the demister relay or the demister element itself. It would be advisable to have a professional mechanic or auto-electrician diagnose and repair the issue to ensure it's properly resolved.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2012 aygo and I have (last year) had to buy a 2an hand back window due to the demister not working I checked the lines with a multi meter  an even bought the copper line paint (waste of space )  as you no longer able to buy a complete window demister  sticker with lines and to clip to your wiring . 

(So I have  a spare back window with faulty lines if any one needs one )

You just have to buy 2an hand or brand new which it is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE.  

On 12/11/2014 at 7:24 PM, eygo said:

That's exactly what I had to do as the copper/gold paint was crap . . Years ago you could buy the complete thing from any car parts supplier . Just scrape off then old and peel the sticky back off apliy to the back window  job done  but now that don't sell it anymore   I did ask a car window supplier    they said chuck a brick thro it and claim off insurance ...