Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Tyres

smudge-1991

So obviously we have all heard that apparently we are gonna have the worst winter since the dinosaurs or some over exaggerated thing like that either way bad or not obviously it's close to winter wheel time if not there already for certain places .... So my question is what tyres (brand, model etc ) I'm on Bridgestone blizzak lm30 ... And they served me well last year so hoping Will be good again for this year they do wear a bit quicker than I expected ... Probably just the softer compound

I've gone onto Continental TS850 P (the latest & hopefully greatest version). Saved a fortune by ordering them from Poland (oponeo.co.uk).Very, very nearly went onto Nokians though.

This might be worth a read for folks http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/66645/winter-tyres-test-reviews-and-prices-for-2014-2015

I have a set of the Dunlop winter sport 4d but I have about 6 mm on all the Bridgestone ones so will be waiting for those to run out of tread first

In 225/45/R17 size, the two Which? Best Buys in winter tyres are Continental ContiWinterContact TS850 (score 70%) and the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32S (score 68%).

My winter tyres are on other wheels on 205/55 r 16 not on my tte

For 205/55/R16 size, the Which? 'Best Buys' are:

Continental ContiWinterContact TS850 (score 70%)

Michelin Alpin A4 (score 68%)

Goodyear UltraGrip 8 (score 65%) - though these wear faster than the Michelin and Continental tyres

One Don't Buy' -

Syron Everest 1 (score just 10%) - handling, grip and braking on wet surfaces was so poor these only scored 1 star (out of 5) for wet grip, showed notable weaknesses on dry roads/snow/ice, very loud and poor for fuel economy.

I know last year my dunlops were pretty good on snow on the motorway and round Cornwall and Derbyshire

Goodyear produces tyres under the Dunlop brand for the European market - some Dunlop/Goodyear tyres may be very similar

Ye and I used them until they were brown bread then then swapped to the blizzaks which had a very good feel and felt a lot better under braking

For 205/55/R16 size, the Which? 'Best Buys' are:

Continental ContiWinterContact TS850 (score 70%)

Michelin Alpin A4 (score 68%)

Goodyear UltraGrip 8 (score 65%) - though these wear faster than the Michelin and Continental tyres

One Don't Buy' -

Syron Everest 1 (score just 10%) - handling, grip and braking on wet surfaces was so poor these only scored 1 star (out of 5) for wet grip, showed notable weaknesses on dry roads/snow/ice, very loud and poor for fuel economy.

Another 205/55/R16 test. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-AZ-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm

Continental tests tend to put a higher emphasis on actual snow performance though than is probably relevant in the UK where wet performance is probably more important.

But I didn't haves the Dunlop winter sport 4d and when they became available to me at a decent price I bought a set for when these ones go

I've been using Kleber Quadraxxer winter tyres for the last 3 years on my Auris. Before that it was Hankook Winter i'cepts. I can thoroughly recommend both makes. Kleber are actually made by Michelin.

What do you think about tyres Dayton dw 510 evo 205/55/16 (made in Italy)? They belong to the group of Bridgestone. Has anyone had any eksperience with them?

Dayton are a low-end range of Bridgestone. I would actually check on the tyre where they are made, as Bridgestone were thinking of out-sourcing production (ie getting another company to make these tyres for them). I know Bridgestone already have another brand called Primewell, which are tyres made for them by a Chinese company.

Thanks for the information. I do not drive a lot in winter. During this period, much more use of smaller yaris with mishelin alpin tyres.

i got some 215 45 17 kumho kw23's from blackcircles for my 197 for last winter. the snow never came (not in my part of the country anyway) so didn't get chance to test them out in the snow. they cost me £77 a corner and had good reviews. i had them on from november 2013 to march april 2014. will probably get another 2-3 winters out of them.

In part of the country where I live the past three years there was little snow, tires have been exposed to great wear and tear. This is the main reason why I think of dayton product, users experiences are different...http://www.testvanenagumi.com/zimni_gumi_za_mps/dayton/dw510/index.html

A friend who works for the importer Bridgestone assures me that this is the correct tire for the money invested .

In the UK, Dayton is a comparatively minor brand. Looking at UK mail order prices for winter tyres in 205/55R16 size, the Dayton W510 is around £53-55. Tyres which are better known in the UK - such as Yokohama, Hankook and Kumho - range from around £61 to £69.

On the one UK retailer site the Daytons are rated by owners as being either 3.8 or 4.2 out of 5 stars. However some have only given them 1 star for performance in snow.

Dayton may well be a better known brand in the country where you reside, and thus has better reviews.

My Aygo has just had Avon Ice touring winter tyres fitted. Haven't tried these before, had Marangonis for the last three winters. But since a lot of audi drivers seem to use them, I thought I'll give them a go. Been driving with them for two weeks now and no noticeable road noise difference so I'm hoping for a bit of snow now to test them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links