Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq3 Door Won't Lock

Hi guys,

So today I've been having a strange issue with locking my door. I'm able to open it with the keyless entry handle, but when I stroke the grooves to lock it won't lock. It will however lock via the grooves on the passenger door.

The Battery in the keyfob is about 6 months old so there shouldn't be any issue with that, and I have tried locking the door in various location to see if there was some kind of signal jam but it's still the same problem. I can lock the car via keyfob but this is very unusual to me since I've always kept my keys in my pocket.

Any ideas guys? Do I need a new door handle sensor?

Kansai R

Certainly sounds like whatever senses the lock command in the handle has failed.

It might just need the handle taking off and cleaning or checking inside for any wet connections or broken wires.

With the amount of rain we've had in the South of England recently, if it was my car, I'd suspect water in the system.

Craig.

Does the boot lock/unlock ok with the buttons on the boot handle. If so and the passenger side is working correctly then it certainly looks like the drivers handle is at fault. It doesn't sound like the remote sensing antenna, if that had failed you wouldn't be able to unlock it by touch either.

Does the boot lock/unlock ok with the buttons on the boot handle. If so and the passenger side is working correctly then it certainly looks like the drivers handle is at fault. It doesn't sound like the remote sensing antenna, if that had failed you wouldn't be able to unlock it by touch either.

Thanks for the reply, I just checked and it seems to be working again. It was raining a lot yesterday. I'll see how long it lasts for before I go purchasing a new sensor/handle.

The passenger side both locked and unlocked, the boot locks and unlocks, it was only the driver side that didn't lock... strange how I can unlock with it though.

When i jet wash mine, if i keep the fob with me the lock unlocks and locks as soon as the wash covers the door around the handle. I would thoroughly clean the handle and see how you get on

David

Yeah, the same thing happens when I wash my car. The funny thing is.. I washed my car that day so the handle is spotless, didn't use a pressure washer, so water should not have made it way inside of the handle.

So far, it's been working as usual. Just a bit worried it might stop working again.

Same as you: I've owned my iQ for 6 months and the driver's door hasn't worked yet. I only really thought about this recently because Smart Entry is new to me. Passenger and boot are fine.

A quick Google suggests it could be the oscillator, a fairly expensive part plus the fitting. I'll be popping to Toyota to have it looked at under warranty.

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

Same as you: I've owned my iQ for 6 months and the driver's door hasn't worked yet. I only really thought about this recently because Smart Entry is new to me. Passenger and boot are fine.

A quick Google suggests it could be the oscillator, a fairly expensive part plus the fitting. I'll be popping to Toyota to have it looked at under warranty.

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

So far my key entry and lock is still working on the driver side door so I don't think I will take it to Toyota just yet. Let me know if you do replace it so I have a rough idea of the cost. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Dont keep your keyfob next to your phone, that stops it dead, as I found out yesterday.

I've had that too when it's been in the same pocket as my iPhone.

It has always let me in the car but press the clutch to start the car and nothing. Remove the keys and place in the cup holder away from the phone and it all works again.

Doesn't happen every time though so it must be when the phone is doing something?

Craig.

I've noticed that for a while actually, which I is why I usually keep my keys and my Sony Xperia Z1 in different pockets. Most likely culprit that day is moisture on the sensor since unlocking worked, but not locking.

However, everything seems back to normal now, just hoping that doesn't happen again.

Dont keep your keyfob next to your phone, that stops it dead, as I found out yesterday.

That's strange -- my keyfob is constantly piggy-backed to my cellphone using velcro and I've never had a problem (although it's not a smart phone). I've done this with my keyfobs for years, after losing a keyfob somewhere in a six-acre field whilst riding a horse around. Now if I have a similar mishap I can just get somebody to call my phone and then listen for the ringing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links