Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

So Unsure About A Used Yaris 1.3 Sr... Help!

T444kids

Hello all, bear with us I'm new to this, anyway here's the story, I've decided after much thought to part with my super reliable honda frv now I don't need such a big motor as my older kids never really travel with us, I want to stick with jap reliabity, I've has two other Hondas and they've been faultless, the honda jazz really don't do it for me so I settled on a 2007 -2009 yaris 1.3 sr, mannual. after a bit of research on the web I've really been put off by the stories of the crunching gears.. Are they all like this or is it pure bad luck, should I be looking at a different model yaris to avoid this? Such a shame as I really had my mind set on this model. Anyway sorry to go on, and thanks in advance. Gaz

Hello Gary - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Have a look at the Honest John review of the second generation Yaris - especially the Good & Bad section: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/yaris-2006/

Two mentions of gearbox issues:

Reports of clutches of manuals failing to completely disengage leading to a crunch between 1st and reverse.

By October 2009, 1.33 6-speed models were suffering gearbox problems, possibly due to low friction oil in the boxes to get them under 121g.km CO2. Older 1.3s with 5-speed boxes also suffering selector problems.

With both of these mentions, you have to consider that there is nothing to clarify the percentage of cars which experience these issues - so we don't know whether, for example, 1 in 10 cars are affected, 1 in 1000, or 1 in 10,000.

There were gearbox issues with the earlier gen Mk2 Yarisusesisas but AFAIK they were fixed by the time the facelift one came along...

IIRC a lot of Mk2 owners who had crunchy gearbox issues found that it was due to the gearbox oil being put in; I have a vague memory that when they switched to a single-grade oil instead of a multi-grade the gear changes were a lot smoother? Might be able to find the posts with some creative search-fu!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links