Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intercooler Upgrade

Clamjouster

Hi all, have had an Auris T180 for nearly a year now and on the whole I really like it. The fuel economy isn't quite what I expected but given the power on tap it's pretty good compared to other performance cars I've had over the years.

So my question is this, can the intercooler be upgraded? I'm not particularly interested in remapping so was interested in going down this route instead.

I've recently fitted an Abbott racing intercooler and Forge recirculation valve plus silicone hoses to my 2001 Saab 9-3 High Output Turbo convertible. Abbott racing say that it adds 12 bhp taking it from 205 to 217bhp and I'm inclined to agree with them as it's transformed the driving experience.

The Saab was always a quicker car than the Toyota but with its recent upgrades it leaves the Toyota feeling a bit sluggish despite the 295nm of torque it has on hand. Given how easy I found it to fit the intercooler on the Saab I'm now really interested in doing something similar to the Auris.

Thanks for looking.

Why would you go down that route for such small gains?

Much better to buy a tuning kit, you get more bang for your buck. For instance, most T180's actually dyno at about 166 ish BHP, fit one of our tuning kits and take it to 200 actual BHP AND 70 NM more torque

Kingo :thumbsup:

Your not the only one looking at intercooler upgrades and stuff the like but a tuning box is the way forward for the Auris atm I mean it's worth having so should performance parts I.e aftermarket stuff and remaps become available maybe u could jump the gun but it's a bit of a risk

Thanks for the reply. Was considering this mainly for the pure satisfaction you get from doing work on the car myself. It gives you a warm feeling inside knowing you've improved it using your own bare hands.

Your suggestion does sound very interesting with some figures that would transform it from a warm hatch to something far more potent. What exactly does the tuning kit consist of and what kind of price range would I be looking at for it.

Thanks

Essentialy it's a chip but taps into quite a few things rather than just something that plugs into a MAF sensor or on the end of the fuel rail

Your suggestion does sound very interesting with some figures that would transform it from a warm hatch to something far more potent. What exactly does the tuning kit consist of and what kind of price range would I be looking at for it.

The kit consists of a loom, tuning box and three connections, one to fuel pressure sensor, one to boost pressure and one to RPM cam position signal sensor, price is £375 INC

Thank you both for your replies. Seeing as uprated intercoolers seemingly don't exist for this car and if they did you'd be looking at paying something like £400 for a good one rather than the £150 I found the one for my Saab on eBay for that sounds like something of a bargain.

Will probably get Christmas for the kids out of the way then seriously look into treating myself at the end of January. Are there any members on here that have had it done on here that can give testament to the before and after fitting experience?

Car is smoother , picks up better less lag ( due to a lot more torque ) and it doesn't drop off the power like the it does with out and on top of that the economy is better as well ... It takes no time to fit (mins) the hardest part is jus keeping it look tidy and putting the loom out the way and I according to my missus seems a little quieter as well

Sold. The Toyota is my daily driver as it's more economical than the Saab and I do lots of miles. Whenever my wife drives it she loves the handling (Saab is a proper barge) but complains about its lack of grunt. I doubt it'll ever feel like a proper a Super Unleaded fuelled turbo petrol car but at that price it's definitely worth a punt. Improved fuel economy would be a major plus too as I reckon it's only averaging 36 mpg atm and my old Celica 190 was achieving only slightly less than that and was much more exciting when you stamped on the loud pedal.

Thank you all so much for your input.

Cheshire is a bit of a trek for me though if im honest as I'm based about 25 miles west of London.

Well sold so look about for a kit there is plenty out there but plenty of people have fitted them on here ( myself included ) so it's up to you

I completely agree with everything smudge has just said. It's a complete step change.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Cheshire is a bit of a trek for me though if im honest as I'm based about 25 miles west of London.

We have a postal system oop norf now you know :lol:

• Like 1

Good point about the postal service (facepalm). This will give me something to look forward to in the new year :driving:

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links