Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Leaking In Fuse Box And Ecu

Cornelia

Hello, I have recently purchased my IQ 3 2009 model keyless entry, keyless start, the 6 geared one very happy for about a week when the problem started. At first the car was doing strange things like the radio or the fan would start by itself overnight and draining the Battery then would not recognize the key, so I went to Toyota they put the tester on and they told me the ECU its faulty needs replacing £2000 parts and labour...nearly had a heart atack! So i found that by disconecting the Battery it would resent everthing and it was fine for a day or so, but last week more lights came up on the dashboard like abs not working and trackin control ESP. My husband decided to have a look at the fusebox and ECU and found water in the fusebox and around ECU. We dried everything and the car worked perfect till this morning when it was raining and the car works but all kind of lights come up. We think the water comes from the windscreen. Before we dig more into this and start replacing windscreen etc did anyoane happens to find this problem please?... help... i couldn't even get to enjoy my cute little car... :((((

Hello Laura - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

How recently did you buy the IQ and was it a private sale or from a dealer (whether Toyota or otherwise)?

Thanks, about 2 weeks ago, private seller I did call here back to ask about the car but of course it was uselles, she would not admit the car had any problems before...I bought the car at night...the biggest mistake EVeeer!!!! I did drive test it it was perfect, immaculate outside and inside and I was very excited to the my IQ and I bought it. When I got home I look properly and the mirrors from above head both missing and screws and caps from the panel where glove compartment is missing..very strange... I did HPI before i bought it and it was clear.. :(((

Which fuse box was wet - one of the fuseboxes in the engine compartment or underneath the dash?

The one underneath the dash and we just took the carpet off now and its all wett underneath passanger seat

Firstly have a look at the pollen filter (also known as the cabin air filter) to see what condition that is in - if you don't know where this is check the owners manual (link in my earlier post). New OE pollen filters are around £15, though you can get third party ones from Amazon and eBay for less.

The pollen filter is tricky to find but is halfway up the center console on the passenger side. It's a tiny flat of plastic - instructions in the owners manual.

Are leaves blocking anywhere they shouldn't in the trays under the windscreen?

Has anyone heard whether it could help to remove the cables to the ecu and spray wd40 on the connectors before fitting back together? I know that worked on my step-fathers Fiat every once in a while, but not sure if it would work here? Any ideas?

Wow... Cornelia..that's a nasty thing...hope you find the cause. First time I hear about a wet ECU though... :-(

• Like 1

Firstly have a look at the pollen filter (also known as the cabin air filter) to see what condition that is in - if you don't know where this is check the owners manual (link in my earlier post). New OE pollen filters are around £15, though you can get third party ones from Amazon and Ebay for less.

Hiya, I know where the filter is but it was missing, I have bought a new one will fit that next but first I need to see where the water is coming from..thanks Laura

Wow... Cornelia..that's a nasty thing...hope you find the cause. First time I hear about a wet ECU though... :-(

yep ...this car is a complete mistery... but I have to try something that I read on the forum about water leaking in the car from the drainage pipe... thanks for the concern, If I will sort it I will post on the forum.

Does for me - though takes some time, and if you get the adobe screen, click on the play button.

Otherwise go to https://customerportal.toyota-europe.com/login/index.html

select your country, register and you can download an electronic owners manual by selecting your model, etc.

thanks a lot... it was working but not on my browser... at the moment the investigations will stop as I am going away...but will be back in 2 weeks ;)

• 4 years later...

I have the same issue. And i found out that it s the windscreen has a little rusted trim that causing water can go inside the gap and leaking inside the car. All lights came up as well, like abs, esp, engine light and etc. I am going to have the windscreen re-bond and dry the fuse box and see. 

should be ok tho.