Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Cover

Ferretkeeper

Hi.

I'm due to collect my 2009 Prius T Spirit from a Toyota dealer and I'm sure they'll have another crack at selling various insurance add ons. When I first viewed the vehicle I seem to remember 3 items although I can only remember 2. First up was GAP insurance which I definately don't want. It might have some point if the cost is mainly covered by finance but as I'm paying cash I don't see the need. I can't remember the second but whatever it was I obviously wan't keen on it. maybe it was covr for the wheels.

The last one was Toyota's Smart Cover for minor damage. That sounded more useful but I wonder what others feel about it. I've searched but can't seem to find any mention of it. Either iit hasn'r been mentioned or my searching isn't up to scratch.

I may be wrong but I think that Smart Cover is pretty new. The first that I knew of it was in a Toyota UK email only about a week ago & this video was uploaded towards the end of August 2014

What is the price for it?

Smart cover - http://www.toyota.co.uk/toyota-smart-cover

You can get discounted GAP insurance through ALA - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/150128-discount-on-gap-insurance/

GAP insurance isn't only useful for cars on finance - see a post I did previously:

Three types of GAP insurance:

Vehicle Replacement (VR) - which covers the cost of a new replacement car (only available on new cars);

Return to Invoice (RTI) - covers the difference between the insurance payout and the original purchase invoice or the outstanding settlement figure owed to your finance company (whichever is the greater, and up to the claim limit you have chosen);

Finance GAP - covers you only for the difference between the insurers payout and the amount you have left to pay on finance.

Dealers commonly charge £200-£500 - these GAP policies tend to have no excess. Third Party brokers (CarCare Plan, www.cargapinsurance.co.uk, www.click4gap.co.uk, etc) are cheaper, can provide cover for up to 4 years, but some have a £250 excess for example. Sometimes dealers will match the cost of GAP insurance as part of the car purchase deal.

For new cars, some insurers will replace a car if written off with a new one - some brokers can defer the start of the GAP insurance by one year to cater for this.

GAP insurance has been discussed a few times previously on this forum - some like it, and some view it as a waste of money.

I have had GAP insurance on our new cars since 2001 (eight new cars), usually through Car Care Plan (via the Civil Service Motoring Association) or ALA, and the most I have paid for four years cover on a new car is £ 178. I view it as worthwhile as it provides extra protection, and, relatively cheap (ie if the cost to change of the new car is

£7000, £178 is 2.54%). Others may disagree.

Before buying, check the basis of claims settlement - as regards excesses (how will these be covered (paid by you or deducted from the settlement), and how the car will be valued in the event of a loss (ie, will they rely on your insurers figures, or will they value the car themselves).

Smart cover was introduced back in 2012, but when I purchased my current Auris panel coverage was more limited, so I didn't go for it.

I may be wrong but I think that Smart Cover is pretty new. The first that I knew of it was in a Toyota UK email only about a week ago & this video was uploaded towards the end of August 2014

What is the price for it?

I have to admit can't remember the price for sure. £400 was mentioned but when it looked as if I might be interested they said they could probably do it for £350 but I can't remeber how long that was for.

The leaflet they gave me says there's a £10 excess for each claim but I'm sure they said £20. The Toyota product is provided by http://smartinsurance.com/ but there are others like http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/cosmetic-car-insurance. The Smart Cover site claims £25 excess. My guess is that it will be more expensive through Toyota. I'm not sure I want to ask for more details when I pick up my car as any interest I show might encourage them too much.

Since posting I have found a few sites reviewing these products and I think I'll give it a miss for now..

Thanks for the replies anyway.

at the annual prices on those sites I'll just take it to Chipsaway (other brands are available ;) ) as & when required ...

The PYB policy only provides cover where the damage is on one body panel. The Smart Insurance policy from level 2 upwards covers windscreen chips which would already be covered under most comprehensive insurance policies.

Like any insurance product........useless.............until you actually need to make a claim and then you are so glad you took it out

I for one would never have mobile phone insurance, I have the very latest product and yes it would be expensive if I lost it, but having never lost a phone, I think I will do without it

Smart insurance is definitely worth it, if for instance you have an agreement where you hand the car back at some time in the future and it needs to be in a good condition (Lease cars, Motability, ETC) because it is very likely you would be able to put the car back to pristine condition before returning the car.......or you take the chance :lol:

• Like 1

I can't find much to disagree with with the replies so far.

I picked up my Prius (2009 Orion Blue, T Spirit with solar roof) today from Jemca Reading and I'm not disappointed.

The Smart Cover and GAP were mentioned again but not the third item I referred to but I've remembered what it was. I can't remember the name but it's like Scotchguard to protect the upholstery. It's a light colour which may be called 'tan' although I'm not sure. I will have to look after it but I like the lighter colour. I used to have a Rover 75 which was also dark blue and that had a sandy coloured interior but the seats were leather so it wasn't so bad.

Like any insurance product........useless.............until you actually need to make a claim and then you are so glad you took it out

I for one would never have mobile phone insurance, I have the very latest product and yes it would be expensive if I lost it, but having never lost a phone, I think I will do without it

Smart insurance is definitely worth it, if for instance you have an agreement where you hand the car back at some time in the future and it needs to be in a good condition (Lease cars, Motability, ETC) because it is very likely you would be able to put the car back to pristine condition before returning the car.......or you take the chance :lol:

I'm not in that position but some years back my wife had Motability cars and it might well have been a good idea then.

• 1 month later...

Smart cover is a good insurance service for small damages on vehicles but it does not seems to be useful when it comes to big accidents.

• 5 years later...

I have a smart insurance policy for my toyota auris from stevan Eagle toyata at aylesbury , 3 years ago paid c400 pounds for covers to fix scruffs etc. They sounded very easy to be done through app. When the time came almost after 3 years to avail the help, the shine person declined the claim suggesting that there was a dent as well (unrelated to the one which I raised the claim for and I was not expecting them to fix it) If they are not willing to fix even a minor scratch then what's the point. Pathetic experience and waste of 400 pounds. I could have invested this better on my child's welfare, totally unacceptable situation in 21st century Britain. I don't understand why toyota would use these tools to con their customers. It brings bad name and bad reputation. 

Most manufacturers offer something similar. There are limitations to the repairs the Toyota Smart policies cover - the current policy covers:

Which panels of my car are covered?

Scratches and scuffs up to 300mm in diameter and 3mm deep

Dents up to 300mm in diameter and 3mm deep

Vulnerable panels including front and rear valances

Stone chips up to 5mm in diameter and 1.5mm deep

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links