Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Acceleration/power Issues

meyaris

Hello TOC

I hope that I can find help here. Wish I had of known about this site before.

We have a Yaris 1.4 D4D and it is 11 yrs old and done 205k in miles. Recently it stopped accelerating well. No top end power and you can forget about overtaking as it would not be able to do it safely. On hills it is awful. (The new Fiat 500 might be worse though!) On the flat it will get up to 70 after a while and stay there so long as it stays flat. On a long uphill drag it will drop from 70 to 45-50mph.

Standing still with foot to the floor it will only reach 3800 revs. No where near the red line of 5000.

I just changed the fuel filter as Toyota said to start there. Used a Toyota filter.No luck. Still the same.

If I could hazard a guess at anything, the accelerator feels a little 'spongy'. Like it might be stretched or acting like a 'bungy' in some way. But that could be my head 'looking' for a way round this. Anything in that 'feel' or 'theory'?

If it was engine wear would it come on that fast? I can't see it.

Any other ideas folks?

Many thanks for any answers

Pascal

Hello Pascal - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

Topic moved to the Yaris club - as you will probably get a better response to your query.

There are several obvious areas to check:

1. Has the fuel filter been changed? When? If not in the last 40k miles, change it.

2. Has the EGR valve been cleaned in the last 50k miles? If not remove, clean it and check it works.

3. If it's on the original; exhaust, the catalyst may have partially collapsed. ..

Edit try 1 & 2 first: they are cheapest.

If you check all three and they are OK, the turbo may have died...££££ new.

Might be worth taking a peek around the footwell to see if something hasn't gotten jammed in the pedals and if everything looks right.

There's normally a spring with some yellow grease which goes further up. I once got my cheap rubber mat stuck in there when it slid up over time (Now solved by punching a hole into it and affixing it to the ho0ok on the floor :D)