Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help With Drivers Window

mudinuri

Hi all,

Slight problem with my 1998 Rav, Coming out of IKEA yesterday, stopped at the ticket machine, lowered the window, drove out and tried to close the window but it only went half way up and stopped. Took it all the way down and tried again, but it just went up to half way and stopped again. Got it up in the end by holding it at the top of the window and pulling it up whilst pressing the Up button.

I must admit that since we bought the car 12 months ago, the driver side window has always closed much slower than the passenger window.

I noticed on the TV program Wheeler Dealers that the mechanic on there sprayed WD40 on the window runners of a Car he was renovating. Could this help or do you think it"s something more serious like the motor?

Any help or advice would be welcomed

Cheers

It will do no harm to spray WD40 into the guides. When the widow stops - is the motor still attempting to lift? - I guess it is, since you say that the glass glass will rise further if helped. The usual problem in these circumstances is a stiff or damaged regulator (the mechanical bit that transfers the movement to the glass) - this causes the glass to go at a slight angle within the guides so that it jams at some point. In the first instance, I'd remove the door card, lubricate all the pivots on the regulator and work the glass up and down. If the regulator is worn so that it allows the glass to tilt whilst lifting - it will need to be replaced.

Thanks Gjnorthall,

Will try what you say as soon as it stops raining! Unfortunately, no garage.

Cheers

hi,

try silicone spray in the rubbers, I think wd may perish the rubber over time. I had a similar problem on my old primera.

worked a treat.

Thanks all for the advice.

Nice sunny day yesterday so took off Door cover to expose the workings, liberally sprayed everything with WD40 and tried the window. Worked a treat and I will get some Silicone Lubricant to use just in case it happens again.

Thanks again.