Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 1.33 Tr Coolant Change Air Release Valve ..?

Tvoburner

Just like to say hi as I'm new to the forum & I was wondering if anybody could kindly help me with a problem,

I want to change the coolant on my 2009 yaris tr 1.33 1nr-fe engine but there is a sticker on the bonnet stating that "there is 1 air release valve that should be open when filling with coolant & closed when starting the engine, engine damage may occur if this procedure is not followed" . Can somebody please tell me where this valve is situated. Also is there a workshop manual available for this model ?.

Many thanks in advance

Dave.

Coolant is supposed to be changed first at 100,000 miles and then at 50,000 mile intervals (no time-based change advice provided) according to my service and warranty book - do you need to change it?

Check the service schedule in your service and warranty book.

As far as I'm aware Haynes only do a manual for the first generation Yaris (>2005). You can register on the following Toyota site and get service and maintenance information, though some is chargeable: http://www.toyota-tech.eu

I just thought that it's 6years old now & it must be about time to change the coolant.

The car has only done 25000

Does anybody know if there is a time limit ?

From my first reply, there is no time limit - the recommended change is mileage based.

Does seem a bit strange don't you think as it could be in there for say 10 years or more.

On some US forums the quoted life is 100,000 miles or 10 years - but then again they can have more extreme weather than the UK.

Super long life Coolant as used by Toyota since 2003 ( Bright candy floss pink ) is changed every 10 years or 100,000 miles which ever soonest then every 5 years 50,000 miles thereafter

My previous car still had its original coolant after 11 years. It wasn't long life. I'd syphon a little out into a yoghurt pot each year and pop it in the freezer overnight. It was always liquid next day.

I couldn't find a definitive answer about the life of the corrosion inhibitor in the anti-freeze, so I thought that as long as the protection was down to around -20c that was good enough for me.

I couldn't find a definitive answer about the life of the corrosion inhibitor in the anti-freeze, so I thought that as long as the protection was down to around -20c that was good enough for me.

That's probably the thing - the life of the corrosion inhibitor may be the limiting factor, not the antifreeze.

That said it won't suddenly stop working at 10 years, it'll just be getting less effective. But for the cost involved, unless you plan to scrap the car soon, you might as well replace it. Even if you sold it soon after it would help with selling it.

I changed the coolant in our Yaris after 11 years - with Toyota Longlife OAT stuff.. so it should be good until 2024.:-)

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, Cley123 said:

The question was, where is the air release valve, not how long will the coolant last. So,please, where is the air release valve?

If one reads the thread, the OP was looking to change their coolant at 6 years, and subsequent replies stated that the factory fill coolant is not due to be changed until it has reached either 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Subsequent changes are then due every 5 years or 50,000 miles.

The same applies to your vehicle, whatever it is, as your profile lacks any vehicle information.

You should be able to find the location of the air release valve by browsing   www.toyota-tech.eu

Hi,

I just wondered if you ever did manage to find the air release valve as I have the exact same vehicle & problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links