Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Rav D4D

OldRaver

Well, I think it's the rear axle.

Just noticed a worrying low humming noise from the back of the Rav. This is speed related the pitch and frequency of the noise increases with road speed.

If I depress the clutch the noise remains the same until the road speed decreases.

Hard to describe this noise but it's a low hum that wasn't there a few days ago.,

Any ideas please? Should I be worried? The Rav is approaching 120k miles.

Thanks!

Tyres can sometimes cause similar noises to a wheel bearing. Unless they are new consider changing the rears or at least swapping tyres round to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for the replies. Local garage (not Mr T) put it up on the ramps - couldn't really find anything - took it for a run and agreed the noise was there. They suggested I let it get a bit worse and bring it in again. General thoughts from them were suggesting a wheel bearing or maybe, the differential...... :dontgetit: expensive!

The rear diff on these models is bombproof and it's not unusual for diffs to whine or rumble a bit. For the modest cost involved, I'd be inclined to change the diff oil - especially if it hasn't been changed for a while. You'll need a 1 litre bottle of SAE90 gear oil. Not a bad idea to allow the noise to develop (it might not!) so that the origin is more obvious.

Thanks for this - I'll check back through my service record and see if I can find out if it's been done in the last 5 years, the time I've owned the Rav.

Hi old raver I hope you get this sorted as my avensis 1cd-ftv is doing this. I have been told wheel bearing but something tells me its gearbox related and dont forget to update if you find out what it is and the fix.

gjnorthall- does the rav4 only take 1 litre of gearbox oil?

No - this model Rav takes about 3.5 litres of gearbox oil. It's the rear differential and front differential / transfer box that each take just under a litre of oil.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links