Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice On Buying A Rav 4 D-4D Xt3

Scoop2014

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on buying a second hand Rav 4 2.0 D-4D XT3

Is that a good model, any problems i should look out for, its done 50k so relatively low, fairly good service history.

I guess mpg will be around 40. Many thanks for any advice offered, hoping it will do the trick for a dartmoor winter.

Excellent model with good reliability. The car was face-lifted in 2003 - the later model has round lamps on the front bumper. The DMF (dual mass flywheel) is a known failure component on this model and may have been replaced already (some owners replace with a normal flywheel) - it's an expensive job. This model has a timing belt and based on mileage - it probably hasn't been replaced. However given the likely age of the car - it would be very wise to get the belt replaced before very long - unless of course there's evidence of this having been done already.

Give it jolly good road test, accelerate from low revs and watch the rev counter, if it heads skywards rapidly then back to normal you'll have a dual mass flywheel change coming up, reckon on 1200 quid, find out if its only done short trips , if it has it'll need an egr valve clean out, drive it on a dual carriageway if you can at around 2500 rpm in 5th, then accelerate and if you have a slight vibration through the gearstick,5th gear will need changing eventually , they can suffer premature wear on 5th gear.

I know this sounds drastic on a 51k car, but I changed my bomb proof 138k mile 2.0 vvti a year ago for a 32k 55 plate xtr d4d and I have got all of the above.if you're not going to do mega miles find a 2.0 petrol with good service history, boomb proof,I do love the d4d xtr, but she can be a cruel mistress.we'll get there though