Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot Failure

F1 Scotsman

Ok so i got my car in for mot a few weeks ago it failed on a few things,

• front strut driver side
  • front wheel bearing passenger side (bought part had it fitted)
  • a tire not being legal
  • brakes binding and fluctuating
  • and emissions on 2nd idle

So i repaired all myself except the wheel bearing as i didn't have the tools, so i booked it in for today for wheel bearing and another mot.

So the garage decide to do the mot fail the car on emissions and the wheel bearing even tho i booked it in to get it done first, then do the wheel bearing.

Makes me wonder if they did actually test the emissions as i put in a full bottle of cat cleaner this morning then when i collected TARA (the car) i got the failure sheet but no print out of emissions test or brake efficiency test. (came up with an excuse the printer ran out of ink but it managed to print out the failure paper)

Also it feels like steering wheel ain't centered and the car pulls to the left slightly now

Can i go into any garage and ask them to test the emissions and if it passes them then what pay for an mot from a different garage ???

Anyone had similar issues

Find another garage. My mot tester (been using the same garage for 20 years) is full of advice and really try to pass the cars on emissions if they possibly can. The best advice on emissions they have given is to get the engine as hot as possible before the test. I'll drive mine for up to 10 miles and over-rev the engine on the way to the station.

I had a 60 mile drive to the garage along country roads which well its not taking slowly put it that way, but the car was sitting waiting for 4 hours before it got tested. but i have a garage 15 miles away which i will ring and pop into get it tested their

I wish there is a way to check the emissions, like the old days of Gunson. Unfortunately the equipment has to be very accurate these days.

My car did have a lazy O2 sensor which did eventually kicked in. Occasionally the EML would come on then go out. It was mainly off say for weeks before illuminating. The code stored pointed to the O2 sensor. Replaced with good condition one from breakers £10.

Normally the tracking should not be affected, but since the strut and the wheel bearing have been worked on, you will need tracking done. I have done wheel bearings without any effect on the tracking. The tyre wear and grip are good.

When the car is tested where I go if the engine is cold, it is allowed to reach working temperature when the cooling fan kicks in. The emissions should be tested then, unless there is something wrong. Lets hope you get a pass with an honest test.

Well after some inspection i fount the old cat to be very rusy obviously the original one for the car so i went and bought a new one 55.40 inc vat for new one and 2 gaskets fitted it and getting a re test tommorrow will update on how it gets on

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links