Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaks! Drivers Footwell Soaking

LeakyBoot

hi everyone, well ive been reading the forum for a month or so, and its helped me immensely so far. many thanks. and im really hoping theres someone out there who has an idea to help me with the current problem.

i bought a 2004 tx3 1.8litre petrol semi-automatic hatchback in May, everything seemed fine and shes been running great apart from a starter motor that went after a month. its done 99k miles when i got it.

we had great weather for months so everything seemed great till it started raining. and i had an unbelievable amount of condensation on the inside windscreen - i have never seen a dripping wet inside screen like that befor, using a towel to dry the front and the hatchback every morning and then using the aircon to dry it is extremely annoying before school runs.

anyway i found this forum and found out about the infamous rear light cluster/boot leak, the left light cluster visibly had water spots inside when i purchased it so i went down to check the spare wheel and the side wing area and yep - its full to the brim of water, so i took everything out, drained all the water and dried it, resealed the light clusters surround and the gaskets on both sides to the car. i also found a leak from where you put the nozzle of the petrol pump in to fill up, by pure chance using my phone as a torch (recording video, watched the video back afterwards to see a line of water on the inside of the car, you cannot visibly see this without the camera) so i also sealed that from the outside. so far after two weeks the boot has stayed completely dry on both sides and the condensation levels have dropped quite a bit. in searching around for leaks etc i found the rear drivers side passengers carpet wet and the drivers footwell absolutely soaking.

i pulled up the drivers side carpet as much as i could, without taking the drivers seat out, to find the footwell with what looks like an inch of water filling it up. i started searching and found that next to the accelerator pedal up the corner of the car felt a bit damp, anyway i sealed around a couple of the rubber plugs just to make sure it wasnt coming up inside them (its not)

i took the windscreen wipers off and took the plastic away to check the gully that drains the water away down the side of the car, and to my surprise found the drivers side had a lot of leaves blocking the flow of water down the side of the car, so i cleared it sll out with a cost hanger and poured water through it to make sure its all nice and clear etc snd i thought that was probably the cause. somi thought the problem was solved and the carpet would be drying out and after the last couple of days rain im back to square one and the drivers side footwell is soaked through again and the puddle under the carpet is back, ive pulled up the carpet to find the same scenario as before, cloudy water under the carpet which im assuming is rain water. i have no idea if it could even be AC? as i do run that all the time but dont see dripping from anywhere in the vehicle. i have felt quite a bit of the padding higher up sbove the pedals etc and that all seems to be dry, except for the slightest bit of what i think is a tiny amount of dampness in the very corner going up - basically the corner under the windscreen - next to the wheel arch.

one thing i should add is had its windscreen replaced in february this year due to a stone chip apparently.

i poured ten litres of water over the windscreen and waited ten minutes and couldnt see any water entering the footwell. (had the carpet lifted up)

it appears the majority or the water pools nearer the centre console side of the drivers side footwell rather than the door side (although both full - maybe gravity etc)

one thing i was thinking, is it possible its coming from somewhere under the center console area? or the transmission stick - to car area.

under the drivers side carpet near the center there is some sort of black plastic moulding, which when i push or pull is very loose and wobbles around - i tried to pull it out to see whats under it and dry out the area but its fixed in some how.

any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated, i cant seem to find any posts at all about this issue anywhere. if ive missed a post please link me to it. im obviously not a mechanic and cant afford one so am really trying to do everything i can to sort this out. i dont want to have to go through winter like this

i have some photos i can/will post up when i can

sorry for such a long post,

r

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links