Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Recall

r30ser

About a week before we received the recall letter, our Yaris engine had some sort of internal explosion which appear to have made a hole at the side of the engine. I am waiting to see what Toyota dealership says. They probably find a way to avoid taking responsibility.

Today Our Yaris went to the dealership for investigation and they confirmed that the engine explosion was connected and

matches with the recall issue and should be covered by Toyota.

However Toyota head office now dragging their heels and saying they are not sure if this engine explosion is covered by their recall warranty system.

They are saying due to age (5 years) of the car this may not be covered by the

recall warranty.

I am still waiting for a formal response from Toyota.

Please advise my next steps should they decline fixing our car.

From a third party viewpoint I'm not sure whether the description does match your 'explosion' - it states in extreme circumstances if ejected oil gets into contact with an ignition source, it may cause fire.

Have you asked Toyota what their next step is? Will they be sending out one of their own technical people to evaluate the damage to your engine?

By the way the recall system isn't a warranty. If a car has been affected by the problem(s) the recall is meant to address, then the recall will correct the problem and subsequent damage. However, if the reason for the engine damage is something outside of that particular recall's remit, then the recall won't cover the damage.

If Toyota state that the engine damage is due to something outside the remit of this particular recall, you will be reliant on either an extended warranty (if you have one), or a goodwill contribution from Toyota.

You stand more chance of receiving goodwill if you have a Toyota service history. If you haven't got a Toyota service history, Toyota (like any other manufacturer) may not offer any goodwill. Goodwill works both ways - if you're loyal to the manufacturer in terms of where you get your vehicle serviced, then the manufacturer will usually show some loyalty to you in terms of goodwill.

My car has been in today for the recall.

It has had the ECU updated, but needs to go back next week to have a new Intercooler and Intercooler pipe fitted.

Just my Feedback:

Had the parts replaced 2 weeks ago, all covered by the warranty /recall,

However, on Monday this week, I got a constant orange spanner light on the dash.

I spoke with the Toyota garage, who said this is normal if the car is due for a service ( which it is, in just overt a month)

Was asked to reset the light:

1. turn on ignition

2. set odometer to trip A

3. turn off ignition

4. push and hold down odometer button (preset to trip A in step 2)

5. turn on ignition

6. keep holding trip A on until it stops flashing

This cleared the dash light.

After about 40 miles, the light came back on, so I took it to the garage.

They found the oil levels were too high, which is a related to a Service bulletin TSB EG-0017T-0411, of which the recent recall is supposed to prevent.

I have been asked to monitor the situation over next few days. If the problem still exists, it should occur soon.

Sorry to hear this, but when oil is increased implies you have the dreaded DPF regeneration problem. It's well documented on this website.

What mileage is your car? Could it be around 50k miles?

Software update won't fix it. You need a new DPF.

Sorry to hear this, but when oil is increased implies you have the dreaded DPF regeneration problem. It's well documented on this website.

Yes, this is my fear.

Car is almost 4 years old, I've only had it 5months.

It has covered just over 21k.

assuming that it has been serviced to Toyota schedule/quality parts it's still within the 5 year/100k Toyota UK warranty & Toyota are probably the best volume manufacturer at standing behind their warranty.

Best thing is too keep and eye on the rev counter at idle and the mpg readout for clues of regeneration. I do this to work out when it start and stop the regeneration.

With my new short block and DPF fitted, I have the following regeneration cycles :

500, 470, 450, 525, 475, 460 miles.

All driven on motor mileage and uses Shell V POWER.

My old problematic DPF gives between 35 and 70 miles at worst.

Best thing is too keep and eye on the rev counter at idle and the mpg readout for clues of regeneration. I do this to work out when it start and stop the regeneration.

With my new short block and DPF fitted, I have the following regeneration cycles :

500, 470, 450, 525, 475, 460 miles.

All driven on motor mileage and uses Shell V POWER.

My old problematic DPF gives between 35 and 70 miles at worst.

Thanks for the info.

To be honest, i have never noticed, or been aware of a regeneration happening.

Although I did read on one forum that the air con had a slight smell when it occurs. I have recently noticed this, and a slight noise of something engaging/starting. Not sure if that's normal, or if I just imagine it.

• 2 weeks later...

For the benefit of this forums participants I would urge everyone to read the “The Sale Of Goods Act 1979” which was last
amended by “House of Commons” on 2nd of April 2012. This refers to “Consumer rights to return faulty goods” for up to 6 years.

Suffice to say that our Car Engine failure, for which a recall notice was sent by Toyota, fell in this category. I checked my
legal rights but didn't had to take that route as Toyota Head Office was so helpful.

I am very pleased and say a big thank you to Toyota Customer relations who authorised (under Recall Warranty) the complete
engine repair for our Yaris.

Thank you Toyota.

:clap:

• Like 1

Good for you Sid. Glad its turned out ok.

Joe

For the benefit of this forums participants I would urge everyone to read the “The Sale Of Goods Act 1979” which was last

amended by “House of Commons” on 2nd of April 2012. This refers to “Consumer rights to return faulty goods” for up to 6 years.

Suffice to say that our Car Engine failure, for which a recall notice was sent by Toyota, fell in this category. I checked my

legal rights but didn't had to take that route as Toyota Head Office was so helpful.

I am very pleased and say a big thank you to Toyota Customer relations who authorised (under Recall Warranty) the complete

engine repair for our Yaris.

Thank you Toyota.

:clap:

Two things to note here:

1. The recall isn't a warranty.

2. The Sale of Goods Act doesn't apply in all circumstances. If the item was bought using HP (hire purchase), the Supply of Goods Implied Terms Act 1973 applies, which makes the HP company responsible for the quality of goods supplied and gives the purchaser slightly different rights.

Yes, this is my fear.

Car is almost 4 years old, I've only had it 5months.

It has covered just over 21k.

Had the Service Light rest on my car a few weeks ago, and now it has come back on.

Took it to the garage, and they checked the oil.

Apparently it did not seem too high, so they rest the light again.

Its going in for a service on Friday, so will see what happens.

I'm predicating problems!

• 2 weeks later...

Took my 59 plate 1.4D Yaris to the Toyota dealer today for the recall chaeck, went back and hour later and now the car is booked in for 2 weeks time to have new turbocharger and some work done to the intercooler system. Certainly glad that I am not paying for it, though I have booked it in also for them to look at why my radio doesnt pick up the stations cleanly which i will have to pay for.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just the car in for the recall work. Turbo, intercooler, vacuum pump all replaced. We got the car back the day before yesterday and the car now feels like a different vehicle, with performance being completely flat and the spirited acceleration that made us buy the car in the first place having disappeared!!

The work that is done on the recall, has not just replaced defective components, but to a significant degree has redesigned the turbo installation. We don't know what to do now, as the car now has poor performance and also it seems that the fuel consumption may well be higher.

I suggest, if like us you bought the car for it's exceptionally fine performance, especially the huge torque and driveability, that you tackle these potential impacts with your toyota dealer before having the work done.

Anyone else who's had the same work done experiencing the same problems as us?

Hi Andy, bit concerning what you report, that performance has dropped off. I too like the brisnkness of my 59 plate Yaris 1.4D, and the very good fuel economy.

The dealer did say that many users find their car performs BETTER after the recall mod. I will be taking mine in for the mod on Monday 30th March, I shall mention your findings and see what he says.

I love the car as it is, BUT if performance goes flat, and if the fuel consumption drops, then I think it may be time to change car, and I dont really want to do that.

Would be interesting what others say who have had the recall mod done, or from those with "insider" knowledge.

We've just the car in for the recall work. Turbo, intercooler, vacuum pump all replaced. We got the car back the day before yesterday and the car now feels like a different vehicle, with performance being completely flat and the spirited acceleration that made us buy the car in the first place having disappeared!!

The work that is done on the recall, has not just replaced defective components, but to a significant degree has redesigned the turbo installation. We don't know what to do now, as the car now has poor performance and also it seems that the fuel consumption may well be higher.

I suggest, if like us you bought the car for it's exceptionally fine performance, especially the huge torque and driveability, that you tackle these potential impacts with your toyota dealer before having the work done.

Anyone else who's had the same work done experiencing the same problems as us?

If performance and fuel consumption has been that badly affected you need to go back to the dealer that did the recall work, explain the differences, and get them to re-visit the work done.

Had the car in for the recall work today, dropped off at 09:00 and collected 16:30, job fully done - new turbo plus all the other necessary bits.

Drove the 12 mile home in "rush hour" traffic and pouring rain.

Seems to perform the same as it did prior to the mod, nice and brisk acceleration, obviously not enough miles to check the fuel consumption accurately but its looking ok so far.

Joe

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links