Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Head Gasket Or Not ?

Mr_Luv_Toyota

Hello I was wondering if what I can see is the start of head gasket going.

Couple days ago I noticed coolant stains just under where the overflow pipe is.

The car is running excellent blowing hot air, no overheating and no water and oil mix etc only the coolant stains under the overflow pipe.

My question is that is this the start of a head gasket problem or could it be other reasons for this ?

Also i havnt had to top up coolant yet either and my car is 2008 t180 114,000 miles.

Any advice most welcomed.

If it's not head gasket what's the chances I can get over 250,000 on this engine ???

I'm seriously thinking of part exchanging it for a 2.2 148 bhp 2009 tourer

See the following as regards head gasket symptoms - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

If it does seem to be the head gasket, bear in mind that at 114,000 miles, the car is now outside the goodwill warranty period (7 years or 111,846 miles whichever occurs first).

If it's not head gasket what's the chances I can get over 250,000 on this engine ???

If you do PX try to get a post June 2010 car. That is when Toyota UK introduced the 5 year/100k warranty.

See the following as regards head gasket symptoms - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/132178-charliefarlies-guide-to-the-toyota-2ad-diesel-engine-and-its-issues/

If it does seem to be the head gasket, bear in mind that at 114,000 miles, the car is now outside the goodwill warranty period (7 years or 111,846 miles whichever occurs first).

Thanks for the info there.

If you do PX try to get a post June 2010 car. That is when Toyota UK introduced the 5 year/100k warranty.

Very handy to know that thanks, after some research I'm a bit out off by the electronic handbrake problems.

Very handy to know that thanks, after some research I'm a bit put offf by the electronic handbrake problems.

Hello I was wondering if what I can see is the start of head gasket going.

Couple days ago I noticed coolant stains just under where the overflow pipe is.

The car is running excellent blowing hot air, no overheating and no water and oil mix etc only the coolant stains under the overflow pipe.

My question is that is this the start of a head gasket problem or could it be other reasons for this ?

Also i havnt had to top up coolant yet either and my car is 2008 t180 114,000 miles.

Any advice most welcomed.

Hi, do you have an update to this? Where exactly did you notice the stains? I'm particularly interested in this because my Avensis is 7 years and 1 day old today and I am basically out of goodwill warranty. I always do a check for coolant stains surrounding the coolant reservoir and check coolant level at each fill-up. There hasn't been a problem to date and the car drives like a dream. The only additional check I did the other day was to check the end of the overflow pipe. I did notice some white staining at the tip but am not sure if this is normal or not. It's something I haven't checked before. I couldn't find any evidence of dripping from the pipe though.

If you've done 114,000 miles on an original engine, that does give me some confidence that mine will last another two years after which I am intending to upgrade. There seem to be a lack of people on this site reporting 100K+ on an original engine.

"There seem to be a lack of people on this site reporting 100K+ on an original engine. "

People report problems not the lack of them ... ;)

"There seem to be a lack of people on this site reporting 100K+ on an original engine. "

People report problems not the lack of them ... ;)

I can't disagree but one member sfalcus did make a posting back in 2012:-

"Guess I am lucky then, my 06 t180 has 153000 miles and still has 100% original parts (obv changed brakes).

Everything still working fine, and still pulls like it did when I bought it on 38k"

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links