Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Egr Valve

marcone

Hi All

I have a 2010 plate prius fully serviced at main dealer since new,the last one just 4 weeks ago

took it back this week because it was running rough they diagnosed egr valve stuck closed.

A new one will cost almost £600 fitted,I have heard they can just be cleaned ,has anyone tried this and does it work Car has only done 42000 miles is this a common fault THANKS

There have been various topics on the forums re the EGR valves, both for diesels and petrols. See http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?s=4b290b95f7ccaa2fd7a210bc29cd57aa&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=cleaning egr valve

Early versions of the IQ seem to give problems with the EGR valves.

Hi All

I have a 2010 plate prius fully serviced at main dealer since new,the last one just 4 weeks ago

took it back this week because it was running rough they diagnosed egr valve stuck closed.

A new one will cost almost £600 fitted,I have heard they can just be cleaned ,has anyone tried this and does it work Car has only done 42000 miles is this a common fault THANKS

how many miles on the clock?

Hi All

how many miles on the clock?

42k according to your quote ;)

My EGR valve failed on my 2009 gen3 Prius at 71k miles. It was a £500 repair if I recall. The unit was totally and utterly gummed up and didn't appear to be the simple repair of simple egr's from years ago.

I bet you do loads of short and/or town trips and use cheap Asda petrol? Maybe not, but I used my car as a taxi upto 60k miles and religiously used the cheapest petrol. Since the new EGR I've used Shell (VPower but either will do) petrol and the car has run sweet as a nut since. With hindsight I could tell the starting of the EGR failure about 10k miles earlier in that the transition from electric to engine was a little hesitant.

My car has full Toyota service history. I was not happy at the EGR failing so early. I wonder if the mid 2010 cars with 5 year warranties should get their's checked now before they fail?

Hi All

When was the car registered?

Before 1 June 2010 then car is out of warranty, if you have a full Toyota service history ask your dealer to approach Toyota for some goodwill assistance.

After 1 June 2010 then car has a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty and the failure should be covered under warranty.

Hi All thanks for all the advice .The Prius has been running on Esso petrol (tesco club card points) 12 miles to work and back each day ,being early 2010 it's out of warranty .Been on to Toyota who have agreed to lower price to £477 ,not great but better. Still not happy that it failed so early. Anyway thanks again

• 1 year later...

Just got charged £671 to get mine fixed. I have a 2010 Prius which only has under 37k miles on the clock. Not happy about it.

4 minutes ago, Digital-age said:

Just got charged £671 to get mine fixed. I have a 2010 Prius which only has under 37k miles on the clock. Not happy about it.

Yeah I feel for you bro mate.

Was there not any contribution from Mr T? 

Didn't ask Toyota for anything. Anyway did some research on carbon build up and maintaining the engine, found this really good article:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/04/should-i-use-fuel-injector-cleaner-.html

Basically it seems like low mileage and short distance driving causes more problems. This also explains why my brakes also need changing so soon. Going to get some fuel cleaner once I get my car back.

36 minutes ago, Digital-age said:

Didn't ask Toyota for anything.

If you don't ask you don't get.  Nothing lost by asking.  I assume there was no MrT extended warranty?

Basically it seems like low mileage and short distance driving causes more problems.

Does for EGR valves and the like.  And not just the Prius.

This seems to be a fairly common issue with the early 3rd gen Prius (mainly 2009-2010), there's a few threads about it on PriusChat too. Might be worth inspecting/cleaning it regularly to avoid failure. 

I wonder were there any revisions to the EGR or inlet manifold assembly since then, or with the 2012 facelift? Does anyone know the price of the part on its own?

I'm wondering if the key is regular (at least fortnightly) longer journeys that get it fully hot and blow plenty of air through it?  Maybe more so than using more expensive petrol (Esso is a good one in my book)?

A common factor appears to me to be low speed and/or low distance journeys.  My 2012 facelift Prius has done over 55k now, and no sign of problems (touch wood) but it gets at least 2 good 250+ mile return trips a month, sometimes more.  Still, it's under warranty for another year and only has to last until late June when my Gen 4 should arrive.

EGR issues are common and not just with Toyota.

Toyota models that have had issues reported on TOC include early IQ's, Auris and Avensis.

The very reason that I bought a new Prius, is that Toyota changed the EGR valve and all plumbing at £1300 on my out of warranty Toy IQ.....the service was so good that it steered me away from VW.....

As it's so important shouldn't an EGR valve inspection be included in the service schedule at,say 40000m or so? (Haven't checked whether or not it is though!)

31 minutes ago, Duffryn said:

As it's so important shouldn't an EGR valve inspection be included in the service schedule at,say 40000m or so? (Haven't checked whether or not it is though!)

Why not suggest it on the Toyota UK blog - http://blog.toyota.co.uk

2 hours ago, Duffryn said:

Not really, as it isn't a problem on the vast majority of cars.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links