Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Headlight Sensor

FesterT180

Ayup guys quickie question where might I find the light sensor that tells the headlights to come on when set on auto. Thank you in advance.

On your car, on top of the dash below the windscreen find the air vent for the windscreen, on the drivers end of the vent is a small grey/black dome this is If fitted the sensor for the auto lights

Oooooh that's what that is lol mines turning pink I assume from the sun thanks for the reply

Hi,

Is the dome on left a dummy or does it have a function?

The one on the left is the Solar sensor for the auto climate control.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have a similar problem on my 2010 Auris Hybrid TSpirit. The black dome for the light sensor appears on the nearside corner above the dash board just under the windscreen. If there is no light sensor fitted as on my car you will find a blank where it should be fitted.

I have discovered that the sensor on my car was never fitted at manufacture and I am in dispute with Toyota as I am sure the automatic dusk sensor is part of the standard fitting and fixtures on the Auris Hybrid T Spirit. Has anyone out there had the same problem

The owners manuals in English are used for more than one country and the section that describes the headlight operation has the rider 'if equipped' against both the manual and automatic modes for the headlights. As the manuals are used across more than one country, they do not detail the exact specification for any trim level in any one country - so although a feature may be described in the owners manual, the manual isn't representative of what may or may not be a standard feature of models either in the UK or elsewhere.

Using a brochure from the period the car was purchased new won't help provide you with the exact specification of your car, as most manufacturers (and Toyota is no different) include a disclaimer where they reserve the right to change specifications, equipment and availability without notice, and that the brochures may not reflect the exact specification for that country.

Hi Frostyballs Are you saying that I am flogging a dead horse as far as Toyota is concerned

The owners manuals in English are used for more than one country and the section that describes the headlight operation has the rider 'if equipped' against both the manual and automatic modes for the headlights. As the manuals are used across more than one country, they do not detail the exact specification for any trim level in any one country - so although a feature may be described in the owners manual, the manual isn't representative of what may or may not be a standard feature of models either in the UK or elsewhere.

Using a brochure from the period the car was purchased new won't help provide you with the exact specification of your car, as most manufacturers (and Toyota is no different) include a disclaimer where they reserve the right to change specifications, equipment and availability without notice, and that the brochures may not reflect the exact specification for that country.

Hi Frostyballs Are you saying that I am flogging a dead horse as far as Toyota is concerned

Neither the owners manual nor any brochure will provide the exact specification of your vehicle, so if you wish to continue discussions with Toyota, you will need some other proof, and I don't know what that would be, that your car should have been fitted with the automatic headlights feature.

• Like 1

Thanks for you response I too have no idea where i can find proof all I have is a gut feeling emvejay

Yes the stalk contains a switch to auto. Just to reiterate my problem is the fact that no light sensor or loom has been fitted to the car since manufacture. On the dash where the sensor should be fitted is a metal blank . I feel pretty sure that an Auris Hybrid T Spirit should have a light sensor. I've checked other cars of the same year as mine 2010 and they all appear to have one.

So it sounds like u have a good case. I wouldn't of thought a dealer wouldnt have an issue checking and if ur correct you should have one wired in. Free

Its a strange situation to have the auto light switch but no sensor, so you have any domes up by the vent on top of the dash as there could be two on your car, one is a solar sensor for the climate control LHS the other would be the sensor for the Auto lights RHS ( switched on a LHD )

PM your chassis number and I can check to see if Auto lights where part of the build spec on your car

Hi Thanks for the reply. I have just one dome fitted on the left hand side and a blank on the right. If you can find the build spec that would be very helpful. my chassis number is

Edited by Devon Aygo
Removed vehicle ID

Hi Thanks for the reply. I have just one dome fitted on the left hand side and a blank on the right. If you can find the build spec that would be very helpful. my chassis number is

Hi Your chassis was too short it should be 17 digits long, also it is not advisable to post vehicle ID info on a public forum, click on my forum name "Devon Aygo" and send me a PM ( Personal message )

• 5 years later...

Hi 

My Auris 2016 is not equipped with auto duak lights or rain sensor. Can I change the stick switch for the auto one in and wi it start working?

Plus same if I change the switch stick for the auto vipers wi it work?

I think these sensors normally come but usually they don't restrict the part and is not supposed to work. But when you change the part or switch it does work. Same as retractable mirrors if you change switch it starts working 

On 12/13/2014 at 4:36 PM, emvejay said:

I have just one dome fitted on the left hand side and a blank on the right.

I have the same, my headlight lights work auto, although they seem to come on when there is still good visibility.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links