Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt & Water Pump

elCommando

Hi guys,

I am looking to get my timing belt changed. The mechanic said I need to find the parts and he will charge £100 to fit it all in.

However, I don’t even know what I need. What is a timing belt kit? what is a water pump kit? will I need both?

I know theyre expensive but I dont know what I need exactly. I'm a bit confused.

Also what brands are the best to go for? I don't mind paying for top quality.

Any help would be appreciated as would any recommendations on where to get a good quality one for a decent price.

thanks

What kind of car is it? Model, engine size etc. And are you sure it is a belt and not a chain?

I had the ones in my dad's Verso done not long ago, bought all the bits from Kingo (PartsKing) who is our friendly neighbourhood Toyota rep here :)

Worth doing the timing belt and the water pump at the same time as they're all in the same area; Apparently we had ours done just in time as the water pump was leaking! :eek:

If you PM your car's reg to Kingo he can advise; I'm not sure if Toyota do an actual kit tho' - I just bought the water pump and the timing belt as the pulleys and tensioner were okay and apparently it's not necessary to change them.

They were a bit of a beep to fit tho' - My mechanic thought he could do the Verso and my car in a morning but in the end it took him all day to do both because there was a bolt he had a real hard time getting at to release the water pump! (The 1CDTV 2.0 D4D waterpump part is quite large: It has the pump itself attached to a big plate that bolts onto the side of the engine! By comparison the one for my Yaris was tiny, like the size of a grapefruit :lol:)

I had the ones in my dad's Verso done not long ago, bought all the bits from Kingo (PartsKing) who is our friendly neighbourhood Toyota rep here :)

Worth doing the timing belt and the water pump at the same time as they're all in the same area; Apparently we had ours done just in time as the water pump was leaking! :eek:

If you PM your car's reg to Kingo he can advise; I'm not sure if Toyota do an actual kit tho' - I just bought the water pump and the timing belt as the pulleys and tensioner were okay and apparently it's not necessary to change them.

They were a bit of a beep to fit tho' - My mechanic thought he could do the Verso and my car in a morning but in the end it took him all day to do both because there was a bolt he had a real hard time getting at to release the water pump! (The 1CDTV 2.0 D4D waterpump part is quite large: It has the pump itself attached to a big plate that bolts onto the side of the engine! By comparison the one for my Yaris was tiny, like the size of a grapefruit :lol:)

What kind of car is it? Model, engine size etc. And are you sure it is a belt and not a chain?

Its a 2004 toyota corolla 2.0 d4d, and I'm pretty sure its a belt.

@ Cyker, Yeah I just rang Toyota and they do the timing belt kit at .... wait for it .... a humongous..... eye watering .... £475 !!!!!!

There's no way I can afford that. What did they charge for your Verso if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Jamil.

I own the same engine but in the Avensis.

For this engine the timing belt components are Timing belt, Timing Hydraulic Tensioner (piston type), tensioner pulley with arm(bearing) and idler roller bearing.

on other cars most dealers do a 'Timing belt kit' but Toyota's approach is if the component is not faulty or does not show any sign of wear just re-use it and just change the belt.

The belt is made by a company called Unitta. the hydraulic piston is made by NTN. and the two bearings are made by NSK.

a company called ADL blueprint supply a hydraulic tensioner with NTN stamped on it, I have put these parts next to each and they seem identical same goes for the two bearings.

the Toyota water pump is made by Aisin.. I got supplied a gates one with had Aisin written on it. I suggest you change the water pump as if its seizes it will throw your belt off...you do not want this.

The timing belt change is not too bad, the water pump is a pain as its bolted to the back of the fuel pump. as mentioned is a big water pump.

my advice is go and get the adl blueprint timing belt kit and water pump, please be aware they do a few kits, one contains the two bearings but not the tensioner.

what is the mileage on the car.

any other questions please ask.

I have attached two videos which show a guy changing the belt. both same engine

on one of them he changes the belt and hydraulic tensioner using genuine parts.

the other one he uses the blueprint kit if you look at old vs new they look identical.

Belt was about £33, pump was £89ish.

Unbelievable deal. Were they good parts? and how are they keeping?

Hi Jamil.

I own the same engine but in the Avensis.

For this engine the timing belt components are Timing belt, Timing Hydraulic Tensioner (piston type), tensioner pulley with arm(bearing) and idler roller bearing.

on other cars most dealers do a 'Timing belt kit' but Toyota's approach is if the component is not faulty or does not show any sign of wear just re-use it and just change the belt.

The belt is made by a company called Unitta. the hydraulic piston is made by NTN. and the two bearings are made by NSK.

a company called ADL blueprint supply a hydraulic tensioner with NTN stamped on it, I have put these parts next to each and they seem identical same goes for the two bearings.

the Toyota water pump is made by Aisin.. I got supplied a gates one with had Aisin written on it. I suggest you change the water pump as if its seizes it will throw your belt off...you do not want this.

The timing belt change is not too bad, the water pump is a pain as its bolted to the back of the fuel pump. as mentioned is a big water pump.

my advice is go and get the adl blueprint timing belt kit and water pump, please be aware they do a few kits, one contains the two bearings but not the tensioner.

what is the mileage on the car.

any other questions please ask.

I have attached two videos which show a guy changing the belt. both same engine

on one of them he changes the belt and hydraulic tensioner using genuine parts.

the other one he uses the blueprint kit if you look at old vs new they look identical.

Hey Mr. Avensis,

thanks for the detailed information. that will definitley help me so much....btw its currently hitting 1am and I was still here looking at belts, water pumps, etc... lol should have stuck to a bicycle...

anyways my corolla is on 113,000miles , belt was last changed at 58,000

I will definitley check out the parts that you have specified , and yeah, in the videos it is remarkable how exact they both look.

I just went out to have a check under the bonnet myself, as I never knew what I was looking for before,,,, and you know just below the belt, there is lots and lots of this hardened pink stuff which is probably the coolant that has been leaking? It looks a mess... can that mess my engine up?

I have just bought Gates timing belt kit to do our Grand Voyager 2.8L diesel XS. Some people go for the Continental brand. As long as its a good make with good rollers! You'll be okay...

Jamil.

at your mileage I suggest you change all items, if it was the 1st change I would go for just belt and check all others.

That pink stuff is dried coolant, if its below the timing belt area will most likely be the water pump.

it could possibly the the thermostat housing as its close to there. or if its down the fans/radiator it could be from the overflow pipe.

try www.eurocarparts.com they have two kits listed but none of them include the hydraulic tensioner.

I use a andrew page depot you may have one near you.

http://www.andrewpage.com/content/7/depot_details

@ Cyker, Yeah I just rang Toyota and they do the timing belt kit at .... wait for it .... a humongous..... eye watering .... £475 !!!!!!

There's no way I can afford that. What did they charge for your Verso if you don't mind me asking?

mate i already told ya. dont go to toyota they want your money. Go to EuroCarParts.com and enter your reg. You will see timing belt kit costing about £20-£30.... and nice to see that you found a good deal, £100 for timing belt is great! better than toyotas £700+ repairing cost, !Removed! thiefs.

also my timing belt on my verso cost me £16 from euro car parts and fit in for £100 too. verso and corolla have near bout the same engines.

mate i already told ya. dont go to toyota they want your money. Go to EuroCarParts.com and enter your reg. You will see timing belt kit costing about £20-£30.... and nice to see that you found a good deal, £100 for timing belt is great! better than toyotas £700+ repairing cost, !Removed! thiefs.

Hey,

Yeah, I will be ordering one this week and will have it all fitted and ready by end of week hopefully. I'll give an update when I can.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAneujBRDcvL6f5uybhdABEiQA_ojMgvLb09Gp_27Q8PMwhPxMXbfSuaUl4aBkiPR_TKXLEzkaAnIE8P8HAQ

Or better still! Go to there sister company and type in on check out! Saveme75 for discount.

Fantastic, thank you for posting this. I will definitley check this out.

• Like 1

Belt was about £33, pump was £89ish.

Unbelievable deal. Were they good parts? and how are they keeping?

That was only for those two parts, no rollers or tensioners or anything tho'!

They were Toyota parts from Kingo so I assume they're good! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links