Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Newbie Questions

S2RYB

Hi all

New to the forum but I've spent the last month reading here and other owners reviews online.

I currently don't own an IQ, but am interested in the possibility of swapping to one.

I currently run an Honda FN2 Type R, but am no stranger to Toyota, having had a 190 Celica VVTI, an MR2 and an MR2 turbo

As you can tell, I do love my speed ans fun, but these days I am too busy (maybe more mature!?) to be out driving around so tend to find myself stuck in traffic for 80% of my life on my 10 mile each way town commute to work. In the evenings I drive to mates houses/do the usual pooling about to shops etc. I know the IQ would be perfectly suited to this, however my other concern:

Myself and my girlfriend do 3-4 trips a year to Cornwall which is around a 3 hour drive away, whilst there we like to get around to various places in the area so regularly do 1500 miles in a week. Apart from being a little thirsty the Type R is perfect for these miles and eats them with no hesitation, sitting at 90 for long periods with no drama. So onto my questions:

With my driving style (as above) mainly town Monday- Friday with longer journies on motorways dual carriageway and country lanes at weekends, with 1000-2000 miles in a week on road trips:

Is the IQ up to this?

I assume the 1.0 will be out of the equation, and I'm just looking at 1.3's, is that correct?

What kind of revs will an IQ3 be doing at 90ish?

Does it feel stable at these kind of speeds for long distances?

With the rear seats down (which they will always be, never carry more than one passenger) is there enough luggage space for two suitcases and a few bags?

What kind of MPG Would I be looking at for the above journey types?

Did the EGR problems effect all IQ's or just the 3 pots?

I hope an IQ will do the trick as ever since I saw one on the motorway recently I've fallen in love!

I know it's no sports car but are they "fun" to drive and chuck down a country road?

Any other owner input or discussion in the 1.0/1.3 debate?

Thanks in advance and hope to be joining you guys soon!

Speak to you soon

Ryan

Also sorry forgot to say - I will be only considering the manual unless someone can tell me otherwise why!

I read about an oil usage problem, is this normal?

I can only talk from experience of my 2011 1.0 Auto IQ2 which I've owned since August 2014.

MPG - 45

Cruising speed - 80. IIRC theroteical top speed for this model is around 90, it's something like 67bhp.

Miles I consistently get on a 'full' tank (well, filling up when it starts flashing which in theory means there is still a gallon in the tank, but the fuel guage is so low resolution it hurts my soul - one case for analogue!) - 270 miles. It would never get to Cornwall on a single tank.

Luggage space for two suitcases, easy. A 'few' bags on top? Maybe.

I suspect the 1.3 manual model would fare better for your usage.

My 1.0 auto is great fun to drive, often chuck it about in the country lanes in 'sport' mode, lol.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate that, it's exactly what I was looking for, maybe more 1.3 orientated, but good to get an owners experience from the 3 pot too!

Obviously my expectations are realistic and I'm not expecting a Type R experience but for what it is it looks amazingly good fun!

Hello and welcome.

I would definitely say the 1.33 manual would be more suited to you based on what you have said (not being biased, honest). Not heard of any oil usage issues, my oil level doesn't seem to drop from max between services.

Maybe lowered springs might also suit you better, just tightens the suspension ever so slightly.

I know in my 6 speed manual at 70mph is is revving at approx 2500rpm.

I have driven mine to Brittany (by Ferry) from Manchester no problems.

Find one and give it a good test drive ;)

I have the iQ3, 1.33 version with the 6 speed manual box and I think it's perfect. As you say, it's no sports car but I have a 5.8 litre Dax Cobra for those occasions. :)

I get around 50mpg with the standard size tyres on the car and around 45mpg with my 17" Toyo tyres on it for the summer. I do fairly varied driving, some dual carriage way work and country lanes. Last year I took her to Pendine sands (Twice) in South Wales for a business trip which was 530 odd miles round trip and I did each way non stop apart from a couple of fuel stops. Very comfortable and not at all tiring.

The only thing that affects stability at speed is a breeze. Being a fairly light car a strong wind can make the car feel a bit twitchy but luckily that isn't too often.

The EGR issues are iQ1 and iQ2, 3 cylinder engines only, the 1.33 versions seem to be fairly solid so far and mine uses no oil at all, engine and gearbox oils.

With the rear seats down I have had all sorts of things in the back of my car, kitchen sink from Screwfix, You can get 2 metre lengths of timber and plaster coving from Homebase in the car and my mountain bike fits in the back quite easily when both the wheels are dropped out.

90mph is pushing it a bit and being a public forum I would never admit to having tried it. ;) 70 is a lot more relaxed, it will go faster but the fuel consumption drops quite a lot. A comfortable cruising speed I would say is more like 80mph.

Things the iQ could use though is cruise control for those longer journeys and being a short wheel base, light weight car the ride can feel a bit bumpy compared to bigger, heavier cars.

I would say you need to find one in a dealership and have a good look around it and see if you can test drive it for a day to see what you think. I pretty much decided to buy one on looks alone, I love the cheeky little thing and I don't regret my decision at all but it's certainly not a car for everyone.

I know a few people who take the mickey out of it until they see what it's about and watching them doing a 10 point turn in the work car park in their huge Jag and then they watch as I just spin the car around in one move is priceless. :)

Craig.

• Like 1

Hey craig thanks for the very detailed response!

Very useful info

A few more questions - why do the 1 litres have discs all round but the 1.3 has rear drums? Also, is there any options for centre exit exhausts or does the fuel tank/other bits get in the way?

105 is it for top speed , and its solid on the road at that, it will drop a few mph when it hits a slope and actually tells you to change down

but as I was running around 90 I didn't bother. I usually average 50 to 55 mpg on a daily diet of a14 and m6 roads, at around 65mph, expect mid 40's at the speed you want to run at. I've done app 65 k miles in mine in about 4 years, haven't put any oil in between services, and its a cracking little motor,

All the UK iQ's have disc brakes all round. I too have seen brake drums being advertised and sold on eBay but have no idea what car they fit on, My iQ3 and all others I have seen have disc brakes?

One of the first things I did on my car was paint the discs and callipers and you can see them through the wheels on post 4 of my car thread. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/134890-an-iq-called-toya/

There are some aftermarket exhausts that exit centre, here is one of them but I'm sure there are more available from the US or Japan. http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_99/Category_4/

Craig.

Spent another two hours reading up tonight

Ive decidedIQ3 in black, white or purple, I like all three colours so not fussy!

Ive decided on leather seats as a must have option, satnav would be nice but looks rare to get both together and comfort suits me more, yet the satnav does make the interior look nicer!

first thing I'd do would be look to get it lowered slightly as Craig has done, are the Toyota springs the "best" ? Dont want it too low as Ive had lowered cars and know their pitfalls, but to improve looks and stability a small drop will help

Glad to hear they all come with discs all round!

The Scion rear spoiler looks good. Not so sure on a large exhaust though for a small 4 pot, may give the wrong impression off! And just be another droney 4 pot. It's never going to sound like a Mercedes AMG V8!

Really appreciate everyone's input and look forward to any more owners input

Thanks again

The thing I noticed when looking for iQ3's is there isn't that many around and less of those that are around are manual transmission. Trying to find one with certain options as well may prove difficult but if you aren't in a great rush and willing to travel for the right car you may get lucky.

Have you found the Aston Martin Cygnet yet? Same car but very different. :)

Don't forget the iQ3 came in a dark grey colour called Decuma Grey, they look great too.

I have Eibach springs and they suit the car very well. The Toyota springs are the same spec as the Eibach ones and I often wondered if Eibach make them for Toyota Europe but not sure on that. Either will work as well as the other but fitting Toyota springs may maintain a warranty if the car has one but maybe they would have to be fitted by a dealer to keep that.

The exhaust I have on my car is the standard system with the Toyota triangular tail pipe trim which suits the lower skirt very well. I have thought about a custom exhaust but as you say, it's a small 4 pot engine so it's never going to sound that great. :)

Keep us posted how you get on.

Craig.

• Like 1

You can have the exhaust as loud or quiet as you like, I went for 'just a little more throaty and deeper sound' to me it is how it should sound, you want to hear some exhaust noise (I do any way), but I did tell them I didn't want it sounding like a Scooby wanna be :)

Don't the US Scions come with drums at the rear?

One thing you must try out on a test drive is the super tiny turning circle. You really will be amazed. In heavy traffic in a normal narrow 2 way road you can pop it onto full lock and do a U turn almost like a bumper car at the fair, and watch the jaws drop of people who were sat in the car behind you. (just watch out for bikes overtaking!)

The turning circle still brings a smile to my face. Also, as others have said, the 1.0 auto which we have isn't brilliant on fuel (40/45 mpg) but it will happily sit at 70/80 on the motorway. Really surprising for the size of engine.

The iQ's turning circle is fantastic, coupled with the car being short makes its manoeuvring brilliant.

Ive decidedIQ3 in black, white or purple, I like all three colours so not fussy!

Unless you try to find an IQ Silver Royale which comes in Amethyst and Silver ....

p12.01toyota-iq-EF13UDZ.jpgtoyota-iq-hatchback-p-4fca54d01a25.jpg

Looked at one in detail at the weekend but the dealer gave me a rubbish part ex price on my Type R. Not expecting miracles but at least something fair!

Still on the hunt!

Anyone else got any more views or pointers please?!

That multi coloured one reminds me of how they made the last MK2 MR2s in similar two one top and bottom half and half!

Don't the US Scions come with drums at the rear?

One thing you must try out on a test drive is the super tiny turning circle. You really will be amazed. In heavy traffic in a normal narrow 2 way road you can pop it onto full lock and do a U turn almost like a bumper car at the fair, and watch the jaws drop of people who were sat in the car behind you. (just watch out for bikes overtaking!)

The turning circle still brings a smile to my face. Also, as others have said, the 1.0 auto which we have isn't brilliant on fuel (40/45 mpg) but it will happily sit at 70/80 on the motorway. Really surprising for the size of engine.

The iQ's turning circle is fantastic, coupled with the car being short makes its manoeuvring brilliant.

I soooo wiish I could do that! *jealous*

My car's turning circle is similar to that of an ocean liner :lol:

Leaning back to the 1.0 rather than the 1.3 (definitely manual)

Reasons being - cheaper to buy, free road tax, cheer to fuel and insure, and the 3 cylinder sounds very 6 cylinder ish when revved!

What kind of MPG will be expected from a 1.0/1.3 round town in medium ish traffic?

I understand the 1.3 has stop start and the 1.0 does not, is this correct?

Yeah, I was surprised at how smooth the 3-pot VVTi's are!

I played with a 3-pot diesel bluemotion polo a long time ago and it was absolutely awful... nasty vibes and excessively clattery at idle even for a diesel, but Toyota have done a good job balancing their 3-pot 1.0. It can be a little rough at low revs, esp. when cold, but sooo smooth at high revs. Smoother than the 4-pot 1.3 if I dare say so! :lol:

Don't have exact figures off the top of my head but the 1.0 is generally better suited for urban driving than the 1.3. It feels a bit limp on the motorway, tho' still quite capable if you aren't afraid to rev it a bit, but in town it's got near-diesel levels of economy and is cheaper to run but still has the nippyness that you want from a small city car.

Is it only the 1.33s that have stop start ?

Yes it is, I always override mine anyhow. Waste of time feature IMHO.

I usualy get around 47 mpg when local, stopstart is one of those things I just let it get on with, rarely turn it off only in a lot of stop and go traffic . One thing about the 1.33, I'm on around 72k miles , never had to top oil up , and just ticks along like a little swiss watch

• Like 1